Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

FND Rear Fog Lamps (2020/2021 ST Part)

bosephbarking

U.S. Air Force Veteran
Reactions
Vehicle
2023 Explorer ST
Couple things for you @Big Turk. Europe requires all vehicles to have a hard brake switch that turns on the hazards. Turning on your hazards on the road and driving is illegal. It is also illegal in the US but people don't follow/enforce those laws.

Second, rear fogs are extremely effective in heavy fog. You aren't trying to look like you are braking, you are making yourself more visible. If my lights can be seen an extra 20-30 feet behind me in a zero visibility fog I can save myself and someone else.

You are using your expectations of north America driving to this conversation. That is just flat out wrong. In all European countries driving is a serious business and everyone must take a class before they can be licensed. On top of that the class (while it varies by country) is expensive. Im talking thousands of dollars expensive. Just for the CLASSROOM training you have to take to qualify to get a learners. After that you can lose your license for any infraction in the first year. They also will take your license and CAR if you keep fucking up.

In short people follow the rules of the road in Europe a lot better than they do on this side of the pond.

Reactions
Couple things for you @Big Turk. Europe requires all vehicles to have a hard brake switch that turns on the hazards. Turning on your hazards on the road and driving is illegal. It is also illegal in the US but people don't follow/enforce those laws.

Second, rear fogs are extremely effective in heavy fog. You aren't trying to look like you are braking, you are making yourself more visible. If my lights can be seen an extra 20-30 feet behind me in a zero visibility fog I can save myself and someone else.

You are using your expectations of north America driving to this conversation. That is just flat out wrong. In all European countries driving is a serious business and everyone must take a class before they can be licensed. On top of that the class (while it varies by country) is expensive. Im talking thousands of dollars expensive. Just for the CLASSROOM training you have to take to qualify to get a learners. After that you can lose your license for any infraction in the first year. They also will take your license and CAR if you keep fucking up.

In short people follow the rules of the road in Europe a lot better than they do on this side of the pond.
Hello,

I am located in Ontario Canada and we now have a three step process to acquire your full G licence (it takes up to 2 years). Most new young drivers here take a minimim 40 hour driver's training course (in class and road) to be able to save money on the first two years of insurance coverage.

Most provinces and states have different rules of the road, so it is difficult to say what is legal or illegal in each jurisdiction. Hazard lights are legal to use in Ontario and you must turn on your head and tail lights any time there is inclement weather or times of reduced visibility. I agree that a flashing third brake light upon activation would be a great addition to our vehicles in both the US and Canada.

Any time you take an action when driving that is unexpected (giving up the right of way for no reason would be one example) it can lead to confusion for the other drivers around you leading to uncertainty and collisions. Using Europe as an example to do something in North America is not generally a great idea as you have mentioned they have a different driving culture. Not all the behaviours are transferable to our driving environments. For example, in the UK (and other countries) they drive on the left. The UK has many fewer collisions and serious injuries than pretty much any province or state in North America. Would this lead you to believe that you should drive on the left as it must be safer. I know this is a very silly extreme example, but I am just trying to make a point that not everything is transferable to another jurisdiction. I would still argue that bright red lights to the rear would distract from your real brake lights when you do need to signal that you are braking and they would be very annoying to anyone following you. Having an annoyed driver following you can lead to all kinds of bad behaviour.

Again to each their own, but I would not be advocating for brights to the rear.

Cheers.

Jerru

Law Enforcement
Reactions
Vehicle
Explorer 2022 Platinum
Hey there Ataraxia... So Yes I did order the parts and received both sides... However, only one side (Drivers Side rear) has LEDs
the other side is similar in design but no LEDs and missing/sealed connection for prongs....

That being said I am seeing 2020-2023 NON-OEM rear LED fog lights being sold on ebay and such...(see pics) and
actuall this is what I was looking for in the first place - Hoping FORD / OEM would be what I needed... oh well

View attachment 17506
@Rescue51 I've got a question for you. I am going to install rear fog light to my 2022 Explorer Platinum (US model which I brought to Poland/EU). In order to pass vehicle inspection in EU, cars needs to have rear fog lights installed. We do have Explorer offered by Ford in EU (ST and Platinum version but only with 3.3L V6 Hybrid) therefore those are originally equipped with rear fog lights, including different interior light switch (LB5T-13D061-UB3JA6), with two fog light buttons instead of one.
Did you check wire harness in your Explorer? Is there any OE plug in US version of Explorer which will allow to connect abovementioned rear fog light plug&play?

OP
Rescue51

Rescue51

U.S. Army Veteran
Law Enforcement
Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Ford Explorer ST
Thread Starter #24
@Rescue51 I've got a question for you. I am going to install rear fog light to my 2022 Explorer Platinum (US model which I brought to Poland/EU). In order to pass vehicle inspection in EU, cars needs to have rear fog lights installed. We do have Explorer offered by Ford in EU (ST and Platinum version but only with 3.3L V6 Hybrid) therefore those are originally equipped with rear fog lights, including different interior light switch (LB5T-13D061-UB3JA6), with two fog light buttons instead of one.
Did you check wire harness in your Explorer? Is there any OE plug in US version of Explorer which will allow to connect abovementioned rear fog light plug&play?
Sorry for delayed response.... Got the fog light for the drivers side and the otherside is non-lighted... so I haven't tried to install and really didnt look to see if wiring harness was there....