Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

Rear differential leaking

21CarbGrayST

Active Duty U.S. Air Force
Reactions
Hey all,

Just noticed I had a little pool of oil under my ST today. Sadly sitting at about 64k miles. Looks like the rear diff is leaking out of one of the seals. Have an appointment at the stealership on Monday. However, have a jam packed weekend of running kids to soccer games, think it’s safe to drive babying it? Thanks!

Attachments

UNBROKEN

4000 Post Club
Reactions
That’s not a seal, that’s a bushing. If oil is telegraphing down that bolt your diff cover is cracked. Every time you take off it’s stressing it more…I’d park it. Once it goes completely the diff will drop out of place leaving you stranded.

OP

21CarbGrayST

Reactions
Thread Starter #3
Thanks, sounds expensive, can’t wait!

Last edited:

FORZDA3

U.S. Air Force Veteran
Reactions
Vehicle
2021 Explorer ST
Hmmm? That’s a 2-bolt rear as well. Interested to see the results of this problem.

OP

21CarbGrayST

Reactions
Thread Starter #5
Yeah, no mods other than a K&N panel filter which is more of a necessity than a mod. And mostly highway driving.

OP

21CarbGrayST

Reactions
Thread Starter #6
Car is currently at the dealer and they initially quoted me at like $3700. But they put in a claim with Ford to knock off 60%. Pushing for more due to all of the differential issues and the fact that we do apparently all need differential braces, we’ll see how this goes.

UNBROKEN

4000 Post Club
Reactions
Can you do the work yourself? Grab a 2 bolt diff cover, get the car up on stands then support the diff with a floor jack, pull all the bolts and lower the diff while rotating the rear downward, R&R the cover then put it all back together. Probably take you less than 2 hours.

Reactions
Vehicle
2022 ST
This isn't covered under drivetrain warranty? That is insane - this is not a perishable part, and you're at 54K miles...

Cdubya

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
Id investigate a little more. Support the rear diff and pull that bolt. I find it hard to believe the oil would track out through the bolt/bushing yet leave the rest ofthe cover bone dry. Maybe it's a fluid filled bushing?

Reactions
Vehicle
2022 ST
Id investigate a little more. Support the rear diff and pull that bolt. I find it hard to believe the oil would track out through the bolt/bushing yet leave the rest ofthe cover bone dry. Maybe it's a fluid filled bushing?
That's what I was thinking, which is maybe why they want to charge so much - they might be trying to replace the entire subframe instead of pressing the bushing out, if it is indeed a fluid-filled bushing.

UNBROKEN

4000 Post Club
Reactions
This isn't covered under drivetrain warranty? That is insane - this is not a perishable part, and you're at 54K miles...
He said 64K so out of warranty. Sounds like they’re still trying to do him a solid.

UNBROKEN

4000 Post Club
Reactions
They are not fluid filled bushings. Several people I’ve seen have destroyed the bushings completely…no liquid inside.

OP

21CarbGrayST

Reactions
Thread Starter #13
Yeah, out of warranty. Asked the service rep what parts are needed and this is what she replied. “We will need a few parts, the drive axle lock ring, the cross member, and three different types of bolts and a washer.”

UNBROKEN

4000 Post Club
Reactions
You need the diff cover and possibly one of the bolts in reality. They by law have to replace any torque to yield bolt…you don’t.

OP

21CarbGrayST

Reactions
Thread Starter #15
Yeah, the parts she listed doesn’t even address the leak. Confusing to say the least. When I asked where the leak is coming from she said, “It is leaking from the cross member down through the bushings”

OP

21CarbGrayST

Reactions
Thread Starter #16
So, oddly enough I got ahold of the service manager and they are liquid filled bushings and the one is leaking. And ford doesn’t sell just the bushing which is why they have to replace the crossmember.

UNBROKEN

4000 Post Club
Reactions
That’s incorrect on all counts. And they do sell just the bushings…a friend just had both of his replaced in the car. He launched his car so many times he destroyed those bushings….had them replaced with the new, updated versions at his dealership. This was just last month.

GearHead_1

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
Exploder
So, oddly enough I got ahold of the service manager and they are liquid filled bushings and the one is leaking. And ford doesn’t sell just the bushing which is why they have to replace the crossmember.
That's not right. I think everyone who doesn't have one would be grateful to have the whole cross-member replaced, so that's a good thing. Having said that, the current fix is to replace the bushing and bolt. Hence the bushing is available separately.

First I've heard of a liquid-filled bushing in this application. I'd question that and want to know where that leak is coming from.

Last edited:

UNBROKEN

4000 Post Club
Reactions
That's not right. I think everyone who doesn't have one would be grateful to have the whole cross-member replaced, so that's a good thing. Having said that, the current fix is to replace the bushing and bolt. Hence the bushing is available separately.

First I've heard of a liquid-filled bushing in this application. I'd question that and want to know where that leak is coming from.
They are absolutely not liquid filled bushings.

GearHead_1

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
Exploder
They are absolutely not liquid filled bushings.
No, I wouldn't have thought it was.