Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

Racing Brake Upgrade Question

Reactions
I'm looking at going to the Racing Brake 6 pots and larger rotors but only considering upgrading the front set up. Is there any real necessity to upgrade the rear brakes as well?

Reactions
I installed the RB complete front and rear setup last year with 400s on the front and I am EXTREMELY happy with the way they work. There is probably no "real necessity" to do the rears, especially if you only put 390s on the front, but I think the extra grab on the back helps to keep the car balanced, flat and straight under heavy braking. I may be a little weird, but I think really good brakes and suspension are more important for a great driving experience than a few extra horsepower. Not that there is anything wrong with more power...

Cruising68

1000 Post Club
Reactions
I've been looking at a brake upgrade as well. While the brakes on the ST are decent they are too progressive for my liking. I get into my wifes MB and I have to practically put the pedal to the floor. I'm looking for better braking and better pedal feel for modulating.

More power and better braking go hand in hand to me. I'd like brakes like the Brembos on my CTSV. Great stopping power and great pedal feel.

Reactions
I installed the RB complete front and rear setup last year with 400s on the front and I am EXTREMELY happy with the way they work. There is probably no "real necessity" to do the rears, especially if you only put 390s on the front, but I think the extra grab on the back helps to keep the car balanced, flat and straight under heavy braking. I may be a little weird, but I think really good brakes and suspension are more important for a great driving experience than a few extra horsepower. Not that there is anything wrong with more power...
Well stated re rear BBK, a larger rear brake can make the overall brake system performs (and look) better but it's not a must. I will use Jeep's stock set up as an example which was presented on our brake offer for Jeep SRT8.

On our webpage:

Why Rears worn out before the fronts? https://www.jeeptrackhawk.org/threads/rears-worn-out-before-the-fronts.7624/#post-76568
Take a look of the OE brake set up can help you better understand why OE rear is insufficient which doesn't get bigger along with the front rotor size (horsepower) over different versions:

Rotor size: Front/Rear (mm)
Brake caliper & pad: Front/Rear
  • WK1: 4 pot/4 pot, PD1149/PD592
  • WK2: 6 pot/4 pot, PD1291/PD592
  • Trackhawk: 6 pot/4 pot, PD1395/PD592
We highly recommend rear BBK (390x30) for a more balanced brake for Trackhawk.

As you can see Jeep has not changed the rear (caliper, rotor, pad) from WK1 all the way to Trackhawk, we see the need when we developed Trackhawk brake for it's horsepower (over WK1/2) and we are the only brake company offers this optional rear BBK just like we did for a balanced brake system offer for most of other car make/models.

The majority of Trackhawk owners purchased two piece rotor stock replacement and they were happy with the performance improvement over the stock, some understood the benefit of a larger rear so they elected the rear 390mm BBK and they felt their brakes are one notch up at an optimal level just like how you like your brake now.

Last edited:
Reactions
@Warren-RB any information you can provide on this?
Sorry just noticed your post and hope the above reply to "Silver Streak" is helpful.

Please note that for a "stock replacement" offer we are constrained to the OE configuration/dimensions and can only make the rotors/pads with a better design and material, but a brake kit including calipers (either retrofitting to other car makes' calipers like Jeep (SRT8 or RB) becomes a system upgrade which we are free to better optimize the system performance through our knowledge and experience.

However you can be assured that our brake offer (components or system) are made to industry standards in material and design, and we never cut corners like others (see below discussion on Jeep's rear rotors with drum brakes). Any brake options you purchase from RB is guaranteed to outperform OE or any aftermarket venders.

We look forward to serving your braking needs.

Rear two piece rotors - Just for the weight saving?

Last edited:

UNBROKEN

4000 Post Club
Reactions
I’ve put 10’s of thousands of miles on my RB/Brembo kit and it’s been flawless. Most of it was road trips through mountains, hard driving days with local groups and even Hot Rod Power Tour. It’s not my daily so if it comes out of the garage it’s to get flogged on. I’m hard on brakes…these have done me well. C8991638-2796-476E-8265-C42C75A0E653.jpeg

Reactions
A good brake is more than just stopping the car - It's the "modulation" (brake control), you want it to be a very "liner" response to your brake pedal.

For your reference is a review from a Tesla's S Plaid (1,020 HP) owner who installed RB CCB system kit sharing his experience on the brake "modulation" vs. Audi OE kit.

In line with Explorer ST / Trackhawk is the newest Tesla Model X Plaid which is considered as the most powerful and fastest SUV on earth today. Clearly the factory setup is insufficient in comparison with Trackhawk if the driving is more than street, and more so when the vehicle is fully loaded with 7 people (6 passengers).

Brake upgrade options for X Plaid.
https://racingbrake.com/model-x-plaid-lr-2021/

Above are some reference material for you that may help you decide what upgrade is more suitable for you.

Reactions
Anyone considering this BBK upgrade?
We still have a few sets of adaptors in stock and the order can be shipped promptly on order.

Reactions
Anyone considering this BBK upgrade?
We still have a few sets of adaptors in stock and the order can be shipped promptly on order.
Is this brake kit compatible with the OEM spare tire? Will the spare tire clear the brake with a spacer?

Another question: is the brake piston area similar to the OEM setup? In some cases, upgrading calipers with more piston area can cause excessive pedal travel as the master cylinder is not configured for the greater displacement.

Reactions
Can you please help to answer "NegativeRealityInversion" question re fitting spare tire.
As to the piston size we can check OE vs. RB 6 pot.

Reactions
Can you please help to answer "NegativeRealityInversion" question re fitting spare tire.
As to the piston size we can check OE vs. RB 6 pot.
Just to clarify, I know the Racing Brake kit is available in different sizes for the front (400mm, 380mm). Is the smaller size compatible with the spare tire?

UNBROKEN

4000 Post Club
Reactions
Just to clarify, I know the Racing Brake kit is available in different sizes for the front (400mm, 380mm). Is the smaller size compatible with the spare tire?
Far as I know none of the aftermarket kits will fit the oem spare. The RB/Brembo kit requires a minimum of a 12mm spacer for the front on the stock 21’s