Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

Quick line output converter question for adding amp

X3FBrian

Reactions
Vehicle
2021 Explorer ST
Hey all,

I have one question. When you install a LOC to give signal to an aftermarket amp, can you pull just one pair of wires from the sub, then jumper the positives and negatives to each other on the LOC?

I recently paid an installer to do this, and he pulled the signal wires from a different speaker, not the sub, for the LOC. It sounded terrible, I insisted he pull from the sub to give the amp the proper signal to play the appropriate notes for a subwoofer application. He did that, and it sounds a lot better, however, he only pulled one set of wires from the sub, then jumped the positive to positive and negative to negative on the LOC itself.

Will this matter? Should both sets be pulled to the LOC? I know Ford does some wonky stuff with their speakers and all the crossovers to protect the drivers. I put my subs in a smaller box and it's output isn't that much (2 15's, 2400 watts rms), so I'm trying to eliminate potential issues before I have a custom box built.

Thanks in advance.

Cdubya

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
Last edited:
Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Ford Explorer ST
Where did you take ur track to get this work done ? Sounds to me like he doesn't know what he is doing unless there is more to this story . Was ur system totally stock ? And u bought a LOC for just the subs ? Now I'm still learning myself on the whole dsp loc thing but I believe when u hook up the LOC u have to hook it up to the sub wires and then the outputs from the LOC to the sub, and it is hooked up pos to pos n ned to neg.... thats my thoughts

Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Ford Explorer ST
Yeah, it needs to come from the sub as the signal to the other speakers are likely filtered.

Here is the forum, definitive subwoofer thread (wish the OP had titled it for better search results)
https://www.explorerst.org/threads/added-a-rockford-fosgate-amp-and-jl-audio-10-sub.5164/
Wow thats a good post by him!! He even circles the anchor points ! I'd like to see posts like this kept... I know it prob would be alot of work but of we set up folders that were pinned and had a bunch of diff ones, like audio, in there amp install, sub install , panel removal , ect ... now hopefully someone won't post hey idiot they r at the top of the page ! Lol... anyway a great post