Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

QUESTION: Who is using/has used a 3 bolt at the drag strip?

OP
CareerFiremanGuy

CareerFiremanGuy

1000 Post Club
Firefighter/EMT
Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Ford Explorer ST
Thread Starter #41
Just wondering if you have the single bolt subframe but the 2 bolt diff cover is there a way to modify the subframe to add the 2nd bolt? Maybe open up that second hole and add a poly bushing? Has anyone thought of something like this?
The reason why no one is talking about doing soemthing like that is because the number of reported bolt shears is statistically rare.

As of 4 months ago when FORD released a statement on the issue, the number of warranty claims they received were 235 out of 252,936 vehicles effected.

So the odds of that happening to an owner is 1,076 to 1 (or .09%). You have a better chance of catching a foul ball at a Major League game (0.11%).;)

Reactions
Vehicle
2017 Ford Fusion Sport
The reason why no one is talking about doing soemthing like that is because the number of reported bolt shears is statistically rare.

As of 4 months ago when FORD released a statement on the issue, the number of warranty claims they received were 235 out of 252,936 vehicles effected.

So the odds of that happening to an owner is 1,076 to 1 (or .09%). You have a better chance of catching a foul ball at a Major League game (0.11%).

Yeah, but I bet it's even higher tuned.

Reactions
Vehicle
2017 Ford Fusion Sport
I doubt you will get a reply, It looks like Elvis has left the building. Thank god as it's been much better since he has. [rofl]
lol

OP
CareerFiremanGuy

CareerFiremanGuy

1000 Post Club
Firefighter/EMT
Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Ford Explorer ST
Thread Starter #45
Yeah, but I bet it's even higher tuned.
Well, there haven't been any posts since your Feb 9th comment so I guess there's a chance it might be higher with tuned vehicles.

If I wasn't running the FP tune I probably would've skipped the AWR brace and remained stock.

HAP

Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Explorer ST
Really? Not a single person with a 3 bolt is/has drag raced their ST?
I don't drag race my ST 3 bolt. (Don't dare)
but have seen a few examples of bolts laying in the stagging area after launch on YouTube. Two of the videos show that the owner had installed an aftermarket diff brace, and the bolt still sheared. One fix...
replace with the rear axle horizontal 4 bolt sub frame designed for the ST. Ford decided to use the 3 bolt due to lack of supply to maintain production schedule, INHO. Waiting to see if the two class action law suits filed now, turn into anything to force Ford to fix this dangerous problem. Reprogramming the PCM to set the parking brake when shifting into park? ... Reallly?!?!