Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

Protect Seat from Holstered Pistol?

Reactions
So my pistol on one side and mag/light in the other side are digging into my seat bolsters and causing wear...

My old 4Runner didn't have as much support.

Any ideas to protect the seat leather? Removable patch?

Thanks!

Dennis.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

Cruising68

1000 Post Club
Reactions
I would think you could find some type of temporary patch for it. I keep mine under the steering column in my current truck but I won't have my Explorer for a couple weeks to see how everything fits. I know I have a TON of space in my 2500HD. Curious what you find.

Reactions
Vehicle
2021 ST
Pistols are permitted in California????? o_O

Just kidding. I know it’s nirvana to find a gun/holster combination that actually works. But, could a different holster or a different position on the belt (a bit counterclockwise) help? I carry at about 2:30 to 3:00.

UNBROKEN

4000 Post Club
Reactions
Almost 40K miles on mine and every one of them with a 1911 at 3:30 on my hip. There’s zero marks or wear on the seat. That’s a combination of IWB and OWB holsters. Maybe try to adjust your carry position forward a bit?

SOUTHFLST

U.S. Air Force Veteran
Reactions
Running a holster at 3 and 9 o’clock is the issue. You can pull both forward a bit to clear the seat. But I carry appendix IWB, and a straight leg drop for OWB. The thigh rig is easier to slide forward so it doesn’t make contact.

ZRX61

U.S. Air Force Veteran
Reactions
Pistols are permitted in California????? o_O

Just kidding. I know it’s nirvana to find a gun/holster combination that actually works. But, could a different holster or a different position on the belt (a bit counterclockwise) help? I carry at about 2:30 to 3:00.
Rear window rifle racks are legal in Ca, had one in my S10.... probably wouldn't want to drive around LA or SF though.

OP
D
Reactions
Thread Starter #9
I can rotate a bit but it probably has to do more with my body style and seating position. Also the side bolsters are much more pronounced than in any other vehicle I have owned. Probably not going to change my carry method after 25+ years of evolving my setup

I ordered some cheap patches from Amazon and will test if they are removable first.

Some pics below, glad I looked closer because I left the clip on my light and it's actually damaging the perforated leather.

Thanks!

Dennis.

Reactions
Vehicle
2021 ST
Those abrasions come from open carrying, right? Could a cheap, large windbreaker solve the problem?

Reactions
Vehicle
2021 ST
Amazon also seems to have a broad selection of complete seat covers.

Cruising68

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Yeah that's some ugly wear Dennis. I would also think a nice set of seat covers would solve the problem.

OP
D
Reactions
Thread Starter #13
Those abrasions come from open carrying, right? Could a cheap, large windbreaker solve the problem?
Concealed, but I lift my garments when I sit down for both accessibility and to save my clothes. Guess it doesn't help my ST!

I like the extra jacket idea but also sounds like extra work

Short term and when I am carrying more than normal keeping a jacket handy would work.

Dennis.

SOUTHFLST

U.S. Air Force Veteran
Reactions
For the spare mag you can run a Neomag. Since my job requires concealed carry, this is the best option I’ve found so far. It goes in your front pocket. it’s about as low profile/snag proof as possible.
CF61F6DA-F559-4C4D-B2B3-DC9172D1ECB6.jpeg