Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

Problem with DIY factory cross bars

Damon

Reactions
Anyone else have difficulty installing the Ford Explorer crossbars on their ST? I previously had a Ford Explorer 2017 Sport (ST predecessor) and had no issue installing the crossbars myself, and so I thought it would be similar. Different story with the ST. I can get the one side locked in but the other side won't fit into the side rail to lock in (see circles on image). It's almost as if the cross bar is too long. I could take it to the dealership to install but I like to have the ability to install and remove as needed. I also checked to make sure they are facing the correct direction, in the correct order, and also checked the install guide which says Ford Explorer on it.

Attachments

Cdubya

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
That's really strange. I had no such problem with mine. Are both bars like that?

Did you try getting them to fit by angling the them to fit onto the rails and then making them perpendicular to the rails once the lower lip is under the rail?

OP
D

Damon

Reactions
Thread Starter #3
That's really strange. I had no such problem with mine. Are both bars like that?

Did you try getting them to fit by angling the them to fit onto the rails and then making them perpendicular to the rails once the lower lip is under the rail?
I'm a moron. Your suggestion worked...it angled right in. LOL. Thank you!

Edified

Reactions
What's the part number for those factory cross bars?

RLW

Reactions
Just got my ST. Dealer installed the cross bars. They fit if the rear one is farther forward than I want it, but yes, it is too long for the back third of the rails. I’m thinking of cutting mine shorter to maximize the distance between them. Disappointing.

Reactions
Just got my ST. Dealer installed the cross bars. They fit if the rear one is farther forward than I want it, but yes, it is too long for the back third of the rails. I’m thinking of cutting mine shorter to maximize the distance between them. Disappointing.
There should be a little play to push the cross bar in the clamp. I had no issues with mine.

RLW

Reactions
There should be a little play to push the cross bar in the clamp. I had no issues with mine.
Yes, there is a slotted attachment with two screws on one end of each bar, but mine are at their shortest setting. I don’t want to stress the rails outwardly, so I’m thinking about nipping a little length on the back one. It would sacrifice one of the two adjustment screws.

Reactions
Yes, there is a slotted attachment with two screws on one end of each bar, but mine are at their shortest setting. I don’t want to stress the rails outwardly, so I’m thinking about nipping a little length on the back one. It would sacrifice one of the two adjustment screws.
There is a front and rear also. Double check that.

RLW

Reactions
I did, and they should be different. Mine are identical, and I see them sold as each, not pair, by some dealer websites. Maybe things changed over time. I appreciate your thoughts.

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
Just rec'd, will install this weekend -

Part Number | Part Name | Price
LB5Z-7855100-AC | Cross Bars - O.E 2-Piece Set - Clamp-On | $215.60

from Fairway Ford.

Last edited:

RLW

Reactions

from Fairway Ford.
Would you please check to see if they are two of the same length or if one (the rear) is shorter?

RLW

Reactions

from Fairway Ford.
I measured the inside width of the roof rails: 47.75” front; 45.75 rear at the points where the rails could grip. So definitely should be different length cross bars front and back. My local dealer ordered a “kit” (says that’s how he has to order it) to compare to what I’ve got. Yup…my originals were both fronts which are too long for the back. He swapped out one of my fronts for a back, and I put them on.
I’m still not thrilled with distance I could get between them. I maxed it out because my likely payload is long (ladder, lumber, etc.). I appreciate the dialog I was able to have on this forum. Thank you! 19203929-9925-4B47-8033-180F9E3BCE19.jpeg

Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Explorer ST
Got a set of these cross bars. Unalbe to connect the J hook to reach under the knotch where it is supposed to go. Rubber cover interferes. Any advice? The dealers guy who installs is on vacation until next Tuesday.

Attachments

Last edited:
Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Explorer ST
Got a set of these cross bars. Unalbe to the J hook to reach under the knotch where it is supposed to go. Rubber cover interferes.[/QU
Figured it out. In my box the Rubber covers were loose the box the J hook piece was bolted to the cross bar. So I just pressed them in over the J Hook, but the J Hook needed to be put between the rubber.

Attachments

Reactions
There is a front and rear which may make a difference. Try loosening all the way and reset screw. Mine worked after loosening and resetting rubber spacer. Hope this helps.

Reactions
Figured it out. In my box the Rubber covers were loose the box the J hook piece was bolted to the cross bar. So I just pressed them in over the J Hook, but the J Hook needed to be put between the rubber.
Good dea.

Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Explorer ST
All Set Kayak going on it tomorrow. Need decide on the best J Bars for my Hobie Compass Kayak.