Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

Problem on first day, powertrain warning

Reactions
Hello all,
I just picked up my ST yesterday, and last night I got a powertrain malfunction, reduce power, per fordpass app. After letting it sit last night, I thought it would be fine today. Nope. Not even driving hard, it started to feel like I was starting in 3rd or 4th gear. It was really weird, as I accelerated, the display would show, "check manual... OK" and then go out. Obviously, dealerships aren't open on the weekends. is there any way I can make it go away for the time being? Or, any other ideas...

thanks

elphil

Reactions
Sorry to hear of your problem. I would be hounding the sales rep' to get me into a loaner.

STFan

Administrator
Reactions
The next time it happens take a video and show your service advisor.

CapTom

U.S. Army Veteran
Firefighter/EMT
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
Out of curiosity, what is the build date of you ST? Most of those problems were supposed to have been corrected by December or January.

Reactions
Unhook the battery for a minute or two. I’ve read where that resets somethings. Sorry man.
I even carry a 10mm wrench in the car! LOL

OP
B
Reactions
Thread Starter #6
Out of curiosity, what is the build date of you ST? Most of those problems were supposed to have been corrected by December or January.
How do I find the build date?
Also, why didn't I get my email notifications for this thread... guess I got to check my spam folder.

CapTom

U.S. Army Veteran
Firefighter/EMT
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
Also, why didn't I get my email notifications for this thread... guess I got to check my spam folder.
The build date should be on the sticker on the drivers side door frame.

OP
B
Reactions
Thread Starter #9
Unhook the battery for a minute or two. I’ve read where that resets somethings. Sorry man.
I even carry a 10mm wrench in the car! LOL
Well, unfortunately, this didn't work.I also thought it would reset all my settings, but it didn't. SO, I'm assuming there is some sort of battery backup...
thanks though...

Reactions
Post this on Facebook. Several ST groups

Reactions
your window sticker, the very bottom. theres a date printed on it. thats the build date

OP
B
Reactions
Thread Starter #12
your window sticker, the very bottom. theres a date printed on it. thats the build date
I see maybe two build dates... on the door sticker it says DATE 1/20. but, there is something on the very bottom of my window sticker, which has 12 24 10. but these are at the end of a string of numbers, so it may not actually be a date at all...

thanks

OP
B
Reactions
Thread Starter #13
Well, that was weird... Just got back from the dealership, they aren't sure what's wrong with it... They sent the file to the Ford engineers to figure out if I need something fixed... I sum it up as, it's not broken, but it's not fixed... lol. Drove fine most of the way home, but the last few miles, I didn't get a check engine light, but the car, in normal mode, feels like it is starting in 3rd or 4th gear. Anybody have something like that happen to them>?

CapTom

U.S. Army Veteran
Firefighter/EMT
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
Bleve i
I see maybe two build dates... on the door sticker it says DATE 1/20. but, there is something on the very bottom of my window sticker, which has 12 24 10. but these are at the end of a string of numbers, so it may not actually be a date at all...

thanks
Believe it or not the date on the window sticker is the date it was printed. The date on the door label is the actual vehicle built date.

OP
B
Reactions
Thread Starter #15
It happened again. Check engine light, Powertrain Malfunction. Ugh.

OP
B
Reactions
Thread Starter #17
Dealer has had it for a few days now... Said the ford engineers haven't gotten back to them, so they're going to lean a bit harder on them... Also, noticed some rough shifting, so they're sending it off to their trans guy... And, that's it so far. At least I've got a loaner, although it's an F150 and not another ST...

Reactions
Here's all the issues/warnings we’ve had with our ST, in order:
1. Service AdvanceTrac
2. 4WD Fault Service Required
3. Auto Hold System Fault
4. Pre-Collision Assist Not Available
5. Reverse Brake Assist Not Available Set Manual
6. Drive Mode Not Available
7. For Hill Descent Select Gear

It’s been at the dealership since February 15th and they still don’t know what’s wrong with it.

Last edited: