Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

Pre-buy Used 2020ST Check list?

Catch22

Reactions
I am going to hopefully purchase a 2020ST tomorrow. I have been looking over this forum for quite some time to see the "problems" to look for, the only one that really stood out beside Transmission shifts, and things of that nature was this thread about the 1 vs 2 bolt. BEWARE: Driveshaft kaboom from emergency auto-brake | Explorer ST Forum

I am curious if anyone has other things to look at when I get it up on the rack to inspect prior to buying it? Thanks!!

st8

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Id request cardax. If it’s low miles, I’d be weary of a buyback.

OP
C

Catch22

Reactions
Thread Starter #3
Carfax and the other site I used all come back clean. More worried about issues people are noticing on production runs.

Reactions
I am going to hopefully purchase a 2020ST tomorrow. I have been looking over this forum for quite some time to see the "problems" to look for, the only one that really stood out beside Transmission shifts, and things of that nature was this thread about the 1 vs 2 bolt. BEWARE: Driveshaft kaboom from emergency auto-brake | Explorer ST Forum

I am curious if anyone has other things to look at when I get it up on the rack to inspect prior to buying it? Thanks!!

I just bought mine with 12K miles last weekend. I too was worried about the 1 bolt issue and lots of other issues I'd seen over the last several months. I specifically looked for a vehicle with a "C" VIN, but still have noticed a couple issues since I bought it. The chrome on the driver side window switch is peeling, if I'm not careful it could pretty easily cut my finger. The rear door seems to randomly open when I walk past it. If I wave my foot underneath, it typically takes 2 or 3 tried before it opens. The three times it has opened on its own the key has been in a loose jacket pocket so there is no way the button was being pressed.

It's so fun to drive tho I don't even care about those or other potential issues, but I would not buy a 1 bolt design into they commit publicly to fixing them correctly. I don't care about other smaller things as long as I'm able to drive it. It is so enjoyable to drive and gets surprisingly good mileage for such a heavy vehicle.

I would make sure to thoroughly test all the options on the vehicle when you test drive it.

OP
C

Catch22

Reactions
Thread Starter #5
I just bought mine with 12K miles last weekend. I too was worried about the 1 bolt issue and lots of other issues I'd seen over the last several months. I specifically looked for a vehicle with a "C" VIN, but still have noticed a couple issues since I bought it. The chrome on the driver side window switch is peeling, if I'm not careful it could pretty easily cut my finger. The rear door seems to randomly open when I walk past it. If I wave my foot underneath, it typically takes 2 or 3 tried before it opens. The three times it has opened on its own the key has been in a loose jacket pocket so there is no way the button was being pressed.

It's so fun to drive tho I don't even care about those or other potential issues, but I would not buy a 1 bolt design into they commit publicly to fixing them correctly. I don't care about other smaller things as long as I'm able to drive it. It is so enjoyable to drive and gets surprisingly good mileage for such a heavy vehicle.

I would make sure to thoroughly test all the options on the vehicle when you test drive it.
Thank you so much for this reply, I feel it will be the same as me, Unfortunately the dealer is about 4 hours away. I will try my best to explain to him about confirming with a picture about this fact. Now is it the Front of the differential or the rear? I believe I read there were bolts in both side? From the Pictures I can't really tell. I haven't been under one yet. Appreciate ythe info.

Dale5403

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Thank you so much for this reply, I feel it will be the same as me, Unfortunately the dealer is about 4 hours away. I will try my best to explain to him about confirming with a picture about this fact. Now is it the Front of the differential or the rear? I believe I read there were bolts in both side? From the Pictures I can't really tell. I haven't been under one yet. Appreciate ythe info.
First the bolt issue seems like it doesn't apply to the 2020 model year. The only ones reported so far are the 2021 models. The pictures are looking at the rear differential from the back of the vehicle. There are bolts in the front side of it also but I have not heard of any having only 1 bolt there. If it has the rear air deflector you will need to get down low to see it,

OP
C

Catch22

Reactions
Thread Starter #7
Thanks so much
First the bolt issue seems like it doesn't apply to the 2020 model year. The only ones reported so far are the 2021 models. The pictures are looking at the rear differential from the back of the vehicle. There are bolts in the front side of it also but I have not heard of any having only 1 bolt there. If it has the rear air deflector you will need to get down low to see it,

Thanks for this info, this helps alot! This one is a 2020 , so hopefully I will be okay.

Cdubya

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
Check for trans oil dripping from the trans cooler.
Hopefully, the manual will have the original drivers side door code that you need to change the code. It can be done without the original code but is a pain.
Make sure the spare tire/jack is there and the fuel filler.
On the test drive, listen for knocking that some could never solve.
Misc: cracks in headlamps, lower door seals missing, trunk panels/covers/dividers

OP
C

Catch22

Reactions
Thread Starter #9
Hopefully, the manual will have the original drivers side door code that you need to change the code. It can be done without the original code but is a pain.
Misc: cracks in headlamps, lower door seals missing, trunk panels/covers/dividers
Fuel filler? Is it a funnel next to the jack? Thanks so much much this list. I'll crawl under the car and look if it has a cooler leak. Thanks so much for the info and detailed too!!

Cdubya

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
yeah the white funnel. you can't fill the fuel from a canister without it!

The trans cooler can be seen just looking underneath by the drivers door.

The original door code is on a business card that comes with the manual.

DaveG ST

U.S. Army Veteran
Reactions
Seeing if you bought the ST today? I did receive a recall notice this week for mine with regards to the issue of a blue screen issue when putting the vehicle in reverse. If yours has less than 36K miles you should be in good shape for having things fixed. I would thoroughly check the exhaust system. My dealer said I only had a loose clamp, but I think it has more issues than that. I will have them check it out again before 36K miles. I also had a sensor replaced in the front axle and then the new sensor leaked so bad I had to have a rollback come pick it up and take it to the dealer. Otherwise, we love the the ST.

OP
C

Catch22

Reactions
Thread Starter #12
Seeing if you bought the ST today? I did receive a recall notice this week for mine with regards to the issue of a blue screen issue when putting the vehicle in reverse. If yours has less than 36K miles you should be in good shape for having things fixed. I would thoroughly check the exhaust system. My dealer said I only had a loose clamp, but I think it has more issues than that. I will have them check it out again before 36K miles. I also had a sensor replaced in the front axle and then the new sensor leaked so bad I had to have a rollback come pick it up and take it to the dealer. Otherwise, we love the the ST.
Thanks for the inquiry. I did buy the car today. It was in a little worse shape then described, and we drove about 4 hours each way. The button for the telescoping Steering wheel adjustment was some how broken off, just exposing the white plastic underneath. They agreed to order the part and have it shipped to me to install, or have Ford do it. There was some paint flaws caused by the previous owner, that they attempted to buff out. I can do paint and body repair as I am not thrilled but for us it wasn't a deal breaker. The car was a two bolt. So that was great news. It runs great, and felt faster than the previous one I drove for some reason. Besides the scrapes all appeared fine.

Then we filled it up with gas, and it showed only 209 miles to Empty. Then as we drove showed up to 244. Drove about a half a tank, and then it started to drop. So that makes a smidge nervous. Then I went down the bumpy road we live on and I heard the metal to metal squeak coming from inside the truck. I would think its the back seats as this happened in the Expeditions I had for 17 years. Not sure though.

The vin Checked out clean, and with a great rating even with some of the recalls done. I Will hope that ford will still fix everything on it, under the factory warranty if/when we find them. It has 20,500 miles on it.

Any suggestions on the squeak or the Miles to Empty, lmk!

OP
C

Catch22

Reactions
Thread Starter #13
Thanks, for the info, yes, Spare tire/jack/filler, all looked untouched. It also came with the Ford Floor mats and the carpet ones as well. The dealer did really pull a fast one, and after I purchased it, they handed me one key and no valet key. Said, "As Is, have a nice day"

I would think a call to the GM hopefully may help me acquire another key. If not I will chalk it up to life learning experience. Was a dumb over site, this is the first "new" car I have ever got, I work on cars and always buy cheap ones and drive them till the doors fall off. I just couldn't stomach paying 14k more for a New one.

Dale5403

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Thanks for the inquiry. I did buy the car today. It was in a little worse shape then described, and we drove about 4 hours each way. The button for the telescoping Steering wheel adjustment was some how broken off, just exposing the white plastic underneath. They agreed to order the part and have it shipped to me to install, or have Ford do it. There was some paint flaws caused by the previous owner, that they attempted to buff out. I can do paint and body repair as I am not thrilled but for us it wasn't a deal breaker. The car was a two bolt. So that was great news. It runs great, and felt faster than the previous one I drove for some reason. Besides the scrapes all appeared fine.

Then we filled it up with gas, and it showed only 209 miles to Empty. Then as we drove showed up to 244. Drove about a half a tank, and then it started to drop. So that makes a smidge nervous. Then I went down the bumpy road we live on and I heard the metal to metal squeak coming from inside the truck. I would think its the back seats as this happened in the Expeditions I had for 17 years. Not sure though.

The vin Checked out clean, and with a great rating even with some of the recalls done. I Will hope that ford will still fix everything on it, under the factory warranty if/when we find them. It has 20,500 miles on it.

Any suggestions on the squeak or the Miles to Empty, lmk!
Warranty you should be covered bumper to bumper for (From the date first sold) 3years/36,000 miles. Powertrain 5 years/60,000 miles.
Did you reset the trip meter when you filled up? If not that affects your distance to empty. For mine when I fill up it will show about 375 miles to empty. If I do a lot of short trips (Less than 2 miles) it drops a lot. Since I bought it I've averaged about 21 MPG. No help on the squeak.

Last edited:

DaveG ST

U.S. Army Veteran
Reactions
No help on the squeak. Others have spoken about it on this forum. If I could recommend leaving the key in the center console, as designed, and using the door key pad. That really works great once you start using it. I have not seen my keys in months. Other than that, hopefully you have a Ford dealership close to you and just be sure that they take care of the warranty items.