Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

Power tailgate/liftgate issue

Reactions
Hello,

I've had my Explorer ST for about a month now and my power tailgate has developed a mind of its own. What happens is randomly when I open the driver side rear door the liftgate will open or close if its already open. This has happened on several occasions. Even this morning I walked towards the front of my explorer to the back driver door and opened it, and the liftgate opened. I never walked along the rear. A lot of threads are blaming it on the foot activated feature but mine will do it without even being near the back.

One day while we were packing the car up on a camping trip the tailgate was open and I went to open the rear driver side door and the tailgate closed. WTF! Glad there was nothing in the way.

This is concerning because if something is in the way it could damage the door. I'm not worried about getting hurt, I'm concerned about dents/scratches because the stupid thing is unpredictable. The other day I had a trailer attached and was praying that it didn't open on its own. I know the power feature can be disabled but it needs to work as intended otherwise WTH is the point. Why don't they have a toggle for the foot activate feature and not just the whole power liftgate?

hbalek

Reactions
Hello,

I've had my Explorer ST for about a month now and my power tailgate has developed a mind of its own. What happens is randomly when I open the driver side rear door the liftgate will open or close if its already open. This has happened on several occasions. Even this morning I walked towards the front of my explorer to the back driver door and opened it, and the liftgate opened. I never walked along the rear. A lot of threads are blaming it on the foot activated feature but mine will do it without even being near the back.

One day while we were packing the car up on a camping trip the tailgate was open and I went to open the rear driver side door and the tailgate closed. WTF! Glad there was nothing in the way.

This is concerning because if something is in the way it could damage the door. I'm not worried about getting hurt, I'm concerned about dents/scratches because the stupid thing is unpredictable. The other day I had a trailer attached and was praying that it didn't open on its own. I know the power feature can be disabled but it needs to work as intended otherwise WTH is the point. Why don't they have a toggle for the foot activate feature and not just the whole power liftgate?
This happened a few times in the past year and then stopped. Could never figure that one out. My headlight switch has a mind of its own too but that hasn't happened since January. The foot sensor is way too sensitive sometimes and that is a common problem for many.