Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

New 2024 Explorer ST - Quality Issues

RacerX33

U.S. Army Veteran
Reactions
Vehicle
2024 Ford Explorer ST
Greetings all. Im a new member. Last year in June I purchased a 2023 ExplorerXLT.
In April I traded it in for an ST. On the XLT and also on this new ST I find quality issues.
Nothing too major but little things that you would think would be caught by QC at the factory.
Such as a bad door panel inside rear drivers side. Sloppy work put together sloppy.
A crimp in the window gasket passenger rear door. A big grain of sand or something under the paint on the roof.
Its all being fixed, except for the sand particle in the roof as the service guy says the whole roof needs repainting?
Im not sure it does? but..... For spending over $60,000.00, I expected a clean vehicle.
You would think this stuff would be caught before it leaves the factory?
Or as a last resort, the dealer would take a good look at the before putting them up for sale.
It hurts Fords reputation to let shoddy work leave the factory. As much as I like the ST, the defects are truely disappointing.
I consider $60,000.00 a lot of money to get a vehicle with flaws that should have been taken care of before the sale.
The XLT had carpet that was unattached. A panel in the rear gate missing its screws, a paint flaw under the glosscoat on the rear door.
Quality used to be number one at Ford. Whats with the Explorers leaving the Chicago plant with so many stupid little flaws? I dont think their QC process is very detailed or very effective.

Its not making me feel good about this purchase.
The lack of QC I am sure hurts Fords bottom line and their reputation.

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Ford F-150 Raptor
Greetings all. Im a new member. Last year in June I purchased a 2023 ExplorerXLT.
In April I traded it in for an ST. On the XLT and also on this new ST I find quality issues.
Nothing too major but little things that you would think would be caught by QC at the factory.
Such as a bad door panel inside rear drivers side. Sloppy work put together sloppy.
A crimp in the window gasket passenger rear door. A big grain of sand or something under the paint on the roof.
Its all being fixed, except for the sand particle in the roof as the service guy says the whole roof needs repainting?
Im not sure it does? but..... For spending over $60,000.00, I expected a clean vehicle.
You would think this stuff would be caught before it leaves the factory?
Or as a last resort, the dealer would take a good look at the before putting them up for sale.
It hurts Fords reputation to let shoddy work leave the factory. As much as I like the ST, the defects are truely disappointing.
I consider $60,000.00 a lot of money to get a vehicle with flaws that should have been taken care of before the sale.
The XLT had carpet that was unattached. A panel in the rear gate missing its screws, a paint flaw under the glosscoat on the rear door.
Quality used to be number one at Ford. Whats with the Explorers leaving the Chicago plant with so many stupid little flaws? I dont think their QC process is very detailed or very effective.

Its not making me feel good about this purchase.
The lack of QC I am sure hurts Fords bottom line and their reputation.
Well quality definitely took a drop since late 2010’s but it is slowly better better. I too am disappointed when I hear about these quality issues but when looking at the whole spectrum I am very happy with these cars. Some dealers really don’t care and are just trying to sell the car so they won’t get stuff redone correctly. That’s what warranty is for thankfully. That roof paint sucks but maybe it isn’t too bad and you can avoid a whole repaint of the roof. Hopefully those will be the only concerns and you can fully enjoy the amazing ST! Welcome to the forum!

Warpath

U.S. Army Veteran
Reactions
Vehicle
2024 Explorer ST
Ford's QC has been needing some attention as of late. I have a 2020 GT500 that doesn't have a single panel that lines up.

OP
R

RacerX33

U.S. Army Veteran
Reactions
Vehicle
2024 Ford Explorer ST
Thread Starter #4
Thank you! Appreciate the comments.
Thank you for the welcome.
I thought after finishing ranting about the little things
between Ford and the dealer,
I figured I should mention how overall,
I really love the ST.
The difference between the XLT and the ST is extremely noticeable!
The XLT is a good vehicle but its like two different vehicles when you move up to the ST.
I have a lot of extra features on my new ST and I really like the ride, the power of it.
Holds corners just fine. In fact the Explorer in general I find to be a firmly planted ride.
It does not drift and blow around. And I personally
feel safe in it. And the power of the ST
is really fun! The power of it reminds me of cars back in the day.
Im getting the quality issues fixed and I ordered a Ford Performance exhaust
with black tips. Im guessing it will sound much better than with the stock exhaust.
Took a couple weeks before I noticed the big ST shining down from the mirrors
at night! All in all so far, its a great vehicle!
Anyone else put the Ford performance exhaust on theirs?

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Ford F-150 Raptor
Thank you! Appreciate the comments.
Thank you for the welcome.
I thought after finishing ranting about the little things
between Ford and the dealer,
I figured I should mention how overall,
I really love the ST.
The difference between the XLT and the ST is extremely noticeable!
The XLT is a good vehicle but its like two different vehicles when you move up to the ST.
I have a lot of extra features on my new ST and I really like the ride, the power of it.
Holds corners just fine. In fact the Explorer in general I find to be a firmly planted ride.
It does not drift and blow around. And I personally
feel safe in it. And the power of the ST
is really fun! The power of it reminds me of cars back in the day.
Im getting the quality issues fixed and I ordered a Ford Performance exhaust
with black tips. Im guessing it will sound much better than with the stock exhaust.
Took a couple weeks before I noticed the big ST shining down from the mirrors
at night! All in all so far, its a great vehicle!
Anyone else put the Ford performance exhaust on theirs?
It is a rebranded Borla exhaust. It is too expensive compared to other exhaust systems even over the identical Borla exhaust.

Reactions
Vehicle
2023 Explorer ST
Mine is perfect. Also being a 2023 leftover I was able to negotiate to 56k and 0% financing for 72 months. Happily traded in a 2022 Subaru Outback Touring XT for it that was a horror story from day 1. I got 30.5k on the trade.

Reactions
Vehicle
2022 ST
Ford's QC has been needing some attention as of late. I have a 2020 GT500 that doesn't have a single panel that lines up.
They were looking for those Boeing profits....