Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

pelotonracer2's build

Reactions
No, they aren’t. They aren’t even close. The MPSS is the widest of the 305/35’s. Pirellis are a close second. Lexani and Lionhart aren’t even close. I’ve owned them all except the MPSS…on the same wheels…on this car.
The sidewall bubbles out further on the lexani’s and lionharts that’s what the overall width measurement on the spec sheet takes into account and the OP even mentioned noticing that when he switched from the lionharts to the Michelins.

I’m not talking about tread contact patch of course the michelins are the best tire to get.

UNBROKEN

4000 Post Club
Reactions
The Lexani sidewall looks rounded because it’s a narrow tire stretched onto a wide wheel…not because the sidewall “bubbles”. The Michelin looks square because the measured tread width is wider so the tire isn’t stretched.
That’s what drives the overall width when you factor in sidewall bulge.
This is a Lexani 305/35…the sidewall looks rounded C619364B-FEC9-492C-851A-F3E05B77DB13.jpeg

This is a Pirelli 305/35
Noticeably more square and physically wider but no rounded sidewall….overall close to an inch wider though.
887CE3AD-F03B-4C98-8265-088E3D2ED6EB.jpeg

Again, apologies PR for the thread jack.

OP
pelotonracer2
Reactions
Thread Starter #83
Lexani’s and lionharts are wider and taller than the Michelin’s in this size. I’m sure they would be fine. This isn’t as tight of a fit as you guys think.
The Lionheart LH5 isn't wider or taller than Michelin Pilot Sports size for size. The cheap chinese tires are in fact narrower and have less sidewall, not more. I know because I've owned BOTH Lionheart LH5s and Michelin MPSS in 305/35-22 size. The Michelin is a bigger tire in EVERY measurement, including circumference. That's not my opinion, that's simply a fact I personally observed.

I've had several sets of wheels, including 22x10.5 Velgen VF5s with 305/35-22 Lionhearts and Forgestar F14s with Michelin MPSS 305/35-22s. The Michelin MPSS tires were noticeably wider, bigger and taller than the Lionhearts in the "same size". Same observation when you compare 285/40-22s side by side. As stated above, that's fact not an opinion.

I have checked fender and suspension clearance "lock to lock" with both tire brands in 285 size. Neither the Lionheart nor the Michelins in a larger size tire than 285 would fit up front on my CM2s without rubbing. A narrower 305 WILL fit in the rear. 285 in the front is MAX width than can be used. IF you were to run 285 fronts and 305 rears, the ECU will sense the difference in tire size difference and turn off the AWD. I had to run 285/45-22s in the rear (emergency during traveling) and the AWD system kept turning off. Yes its that sensitive.

Due to the CM2 wheel having massive concavity, I'm willing to bet the offset is more like a 28 or 30. Nowhere close to a 38 offset, hence why my wheels appear flush with the plastic fender, but the tires, because of the rounded sidewall, tuck nicely into the wheel well with no rubbing. A +38 offset with the CM2 concavity would not even fit the application lol.

Those Vossens don't have anywhere near the concavity of the CM2s. The difference between a +30 offset and a +38 offset is huge and I find it very hard to believe an 11" width wheel with 305 with tires (any brand) and a +38 offset isn't rubbing the suspension when you lock the wheel in a turn. I barely have enough clearance with my 285s with a more aggressive offset (which moves the rim further away from the suspension and closer to the fender). I guess I need to go measure the back spacing of the Ferrada CM2 with a ruler.

Anyone who purchases the 22x11 Ferrada CM2s for the Explorer ST and a 305/35-22 tire will be very disappointed in the fitment up front. It WILL NOT clear the shock casing. It is already an aggressive fitment. The 285s have literally 2-3mm clearance and that's it. A wider tire on my CM2s will rub.

Last edited:
OP
pelotonracer2
Reactions
Thread Starter #84
The sidewall bubbles out further on the lexani’s and lionharts that’s what the overall width measurement on the spec sheet takes into account and the OP even mentioned noticing that when he switched from the lionharts to the Michelins.

I’m not talking about tread contact patch of course the michelins are the best tire to get.
Wrong. There is less sidewall and a more rounded "look" because the tire is not as wide so it looks "stretched" over the 11" wide wheel. It does not bulge out, it looks more stretched because the tread (contact patch) isn't as wide. Michelin PS are more squared (bulged out), meaning less stretched and have a wider contact patch (and a taller sidewall). In fact, if you roll out both tires, the Michelin is TALLER. It's just a bigger tire in every measurement (width, sidewall, circumference) than the Lionhearts.

The Lionhearts also have a MUCH softer sidewall than the Pilot Sports. Despite having shorter sidewall, the Lionheart handling and steering response just plain sucks in comparison to the Michelin PS. At 24,000 miles, the sidewall of one of my Lionheart LH5s started to come apart internally (air bubble). I will never purchase them again.

OP
pelotonracer2
Reactions
Thread Starter #85
The Lexani sidewall looks rounded because it’s a narrow tire stretched onto a wide wheel…not because the sidewall “bubbles”. The Michelin looks square because the measured tread width is wider so the tire isn’t stretched.
This is a Lexani 305/35…the sidewall looks rounded View attachment 12575

This is a Pirelli 305/35
Noticeably more square and physically wider but no rounded sidewall….overall close to an inch wider though.
View attachment 12576

No issues. Thanks for your feedback.

OP
pelotonracer2
Reactions
Thread Starter #86
I just posted a pic of someone running a 22x11+38 running a 305/35/22 tire and you are telling me no one is running it. It’s easy to verify the tire specs to see the difference in tire specs

I have pics of their inner barrel and tire to verify. I would put money on it working with the Ferrada’s too if your offset is +38 which it very likely is. You can determine the offset yourself using the method I posted earlier in this thread.

regardless my point is 305’s are absolutely a possibility.
The offset of the Ferrada's is most likely +28 to +30. Unless you get flared fenders, with this much concavity of the face of the wheel, a +38 would not fit. They are super deep concave. Probably why CM2 stands for "concave madness 2". Heh. I have not seen a wheelset with more concavity for the Explorer ST application, even custom applications. I just know that the offset is much more aggressive than +38.

Reactions
Here are front and rear shots of the car to see how they fit in the fender at +38 for you to compare.

87948E2F-9AD4-4218-9CDB-F7A761ABB41D.jpeg 2454E479-1DF7-4386-95D7-7CE284EC7220.jpeg 3F668648-A4C7-4E58-825C-44A9688CABF8.jpeg

OP
pelotonracer2
Reactions
Thread Starter #88
Pictures don't mean anything because you can't see back spacing. But here's pics of mine to compare. Even though mine stick out towards the fender more, there is very little clearance between the tire/rim and front suspension on the INSIDE.

Nevermind my socks and messy garage. The sock pic is the front right wheel/tire.

Attachments

Last edited:
Reactions
This is a Lexani 305/35…the sidewall looks rounded View attachment 12575

This is a Pirelli 305/35
View attachment 12576

I certainly don’t mind. The more info I can get the better. But I’ll one or two more question on
wheel thread. So as not to clog up this build thread.

Reactions
Pictures don't mean anything because you can't see back spacing. But here's pics of mine to compare. Even though mine stick out towards the fender more, there is very little clearance between the tire/rim and front suspension on the INSIDE.

Nevermind my socks and messy garage. The sock pic is the front right wheel/tire.
The fact that their rim likely sits more inward than yours means the 305 would very likely fit on the Ferrada's which you say are further outward. There is a substantial difference in diameter of the 285/40 and 305/35 to account for the added width. The face of the rim is the face of the rim, backspacing doesn't matter when you are comparing the position of the face of 2 wheels to a fender.

1654121546936.png

UNBROKEN

4000 Post Club
Reactions
I gotta just let this one go….
lol

Reactions
I gotta just let this one go….
lol
The only way we will ever know is if someone tires it, until then no point in debating.

22x11 +38 clearly has no issues running 305/35/22 tires (brand dependent). Whatever clearance the Ferrada’s allow may or may not allow it to work. You run 315/35’s without issues there’s very little reason 305/35’s wouldn’t work with the Ferrada’s unless they are way too aggressive outward. The inward clearance won’t be the issue for him.

This is how close I am with no issues for reference.

F7ABEC5C-DA45-4298-BF8B-B0903BCE348D.jpeg

Last edited:
OP
pelotonracer2
Reactions
Thread Starter #93
Added AFE intake, SPD catted downpipes and Xtreme-DI EVO HPFP.

Attachments