Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

pelotonracer2's build

OP
pelotonracer2
Reactions
Thread Starter #62
wait you got another set of wheels and tires? Or just new tires?
These are new graphite with custom black lip. I'm also using my black center caps. I like these MUCH better than the black ones. These look darker in the pictures than they really are.

Reactions
These are new graphite with custom black lip. I'm also using my black center caps. I like these MUCH better than the black ones. These look darker in the pictures than they really are.
Nice! what did you do with the old ones?

Reactions
they actually look like the are protruding from the wheel well. Are you also running spacers ?

Reactions
they actually look like the are protruding from the wheel well. Are you also running spacers ?
No he is running 22x11 inch wheels which are the max width and pretty aggressive for this vehicle.

OP
pelotonracer2
Reactions
Thread Starter #67
The wheels are actually flush with the fender but the tires are 285/40-22s so there is no rubbing anywhere. The Michelin Pilot Sport 4 SUV tires have a wider footprint and less rounded sidewall than the 285/40-22 Lionhearts I just replaced. Having driven 22,000 miles on 285/40-22s, I see no real world difference in handling or traction v.s. a 305 width tire since I've used both. If anything, the slightly narrower tire improves highway driving and fuel mileage. However, the Lionhearts sidewalls are too soft and handling sucks compared to the Michelin's.

I know most ST owners prefer a 305 tire and those won't fit the 22x11 wheels without rubbing. 10.5 inch is as wide as you can go with a 305 width tire.

Reactions
The wheels are actually flush with the fender but the tires are 285/40-22s so there is no rubbing anywhere. The Michelin Pilot Sport 4 SUV tires have a wider footprint and less rounded sidewall than the 285/40-22 Lionhearts I just replaced. Having driven 22,000 miles on 285/40-22s, I see no real world difference in handling or traction v.s. a 305 width tire since I've used both. If anything, the slightly narrower tire improves highway driving and fuel mileage. However, the Lionhearts sidewalls are too soft and handling sucks compared to the Michelin's.

I know most ST owners prefer a 305 tire and those won't fit the 22x11 wheels without rubbing. 10.5 inch is as wide as you can go with a 305 width tire.
you can fit a 305 no problem, it would just be a 35 profile tire. There are others that have 22x11 with 305/35/22.

UNBROKEN

4000 Post Club
Reactions
you can fit a 305 no problem, it would just be a 35 profile tire. There are others that have 22x11 with 305/35/22.
It’s 100% dependent on the backspacing of the wheel and anything flush will be scary close to the strut up front.
What others are running that combo? I haven’t seen anyone at all.

Reactions

thank you for the response. Great info. I’ll be seeing my wheel guy later this week!

Reactions
It’s 100% dependent on the backspacing of the wheel and anything flush will be scary close to the strut up front.
good food for thought. thanks

Reactions
top pic is on steeda’s

0F036229-3B08-4033-A4D6-7724B87C1701.jpeg 88277CA0-10D0-407C-8831-BB92AF0C3275.jpeg

UNBROKEN

4000 Post Club
Reactions
That’s the same car in both pics and that’s a very very narrow running 305. I won’t clog up this build thread anymore but I’ll say be very careful and specific with an 11” wheel and 305 tire. Backspacing and tire width will make or break it.

OP
pelotonracer2
Reactions
Thread Starter #74
Just as UNBROKEN has stated, I don't know anyone running a 305 width tire on a 22x11 wheel. It will NOT work with the Ferrada CM2s due to back spacing and offset (they don't give their offset information).

Also, just to be clear, just because a tire manufacturer states a tire size, they are not all the same. Comparing the Lionheart LH5 285/40-22 with Michelin Pilot Sport 4 285/40-22 you can clearly (visually) see that the Michelin tire has a wider contact patch and has noticeably less rounded sidewall compared to the Lionheart LH5s.

UNBROKEN

4000 Post Club
Reactions
Just as UNBROKEN has stated, I don't know anyone running a 305 width tire on a 22x11 wheel. It will NOT work with the Ferrada CM2s due to back spacing and offset (they don't give their offset information).

Also, just to be clear, just because a tire manufacturer states a tire size, they are not all the same. Comparing the Lionheart LH5 285/40-22 with Michelin Pilot Sport 4 285/40-22 you can clearly (visually) see that the Michelin tire has a wider contact patch and has noticeably less rounded sidewall compared to the Lionheart LH5s.
All of the “Chinese” brands run super narrow. Arturo, Lionheart and Lexani for sure. Pirelli and Michelin run closer to true width if not even a little wider. Any tire with some sidewall bulge on a +38 11” wheel will likely be problematic when it come to the front struts. I’m sure you’ve seen this first hand.
I would bet the tires on those pics measure closer to a 285-295 in reality…a 12” wide tire shouldn’t be stretched on an 11” wheel. I’ve had Lexani and Pirelli 305/35’s on mine at different times…they aren’t even close to the same.

OP
pelotonracer2
Reactions
Thread Starter #76
It's possible that the Atturo 305 tire is much narrower than most other 305s. My Lionheart 285s had a noticeably narrower contact patch and more rounded sidewall than the Michelin Pilot Sport 4s, despite both tires being 285/40-22s. EDIT: when I say "rounded" I mean stretched, not bulging. Most people prefer the squared look, I prefer the stretched look.

The Ferrada CM2s have a *VERY* concave face, much more than anything I've seen Vossen has available for this application (so it is an aggressive fitment). 285/40-22s will fit with no issues. 285/45-22s will fit on the back (don't ask how I know lol ). Even the narrowest 305 won't fit the CM2s as I've extensively checked clearance front and back and clearance is tight with 285s.

Last edited:
Reactions

I just posted a pic of someone running a 22x11+38 running a 305/35/22 tire and you are telling me no one is running it. It’s easy to verify the tire specs to see the difference in tire specs

I have pics of their inner barrel and tire to verify. I would put money on it working with the Ferrada’s too if your offset is +38 which it very likely is. You can determine the offset yourself using the method I posted earlier in this thread.

regardless my point is 305’s are absolutely a possibility.

UNBROKEN

4000 Post Club
Reactions
I just posted a pic of someone running a 22x11+38 running a 305/35/22 tire and you are telling me no one is running it. It’s easy to verify the tire specs to see the difference in tire specs

I have pics of their inner barrel and tire to verify. I would put money on it working with the Ferrada’s too if your offset is +38 which it very likely is.

regardless my point is 305’s are absolutely a possibility.
Some, not all. Put a Michelin Pilot Super Sport on it and report back. As I stated earlier…that Arturo “305” likely measures out to a 285/295 at most.

Reactions
Some, not all. Put a Michelin Pilot Super Sport on it and report back. As I stated earlier…that Arturo “305” likely measures out to a 285/295 at most.

Lexani’s and lionharts are wider and taller than the Michelin’s in this size. I’m sure they would be fine. This isn’t as tight of a fit as you guys think there is a lot of space in these wheel wells. Regardless I don’t think there is anything wrong with 285/40/22 I would actually prefer that size with the 11” wheels.

UNBROKEN

4000 Post Club
Reactions
Lexani’s and lionharts are wider and taller than the Michelin’s in this size. I’m sure they would be fine. This isn’t as tight of a fit as you guys think.
No, they aren’t. They aren’t even close. The MPSS is the widest of the 305/35’s. Pirellis are a close second. Lexani and Lionhart aren’t even close. I’ve owned them all except the MPSS…on the same wheels…on this car.