Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

Peeling leather on driver seat

STPelt22

Reactions
Vehicle
2022 FORD EXPLORER ST
Has anyone had issues with the leather peeling or tearing on their seats??? I've had my car 4 weeks today! I'm under 500 miles and I noticed yesterday that the leather is peeling at a seam on the driver seat. It's a small area right now, but I know the area will increase in size with use. I'm just wondering if this has been a common issue.

Cruising68

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Do not believe it is leather but I have had no such wear but only 3K mikes.

Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Rapid Red ST
If it has the 401A package then it is leather.

Cruising68

1000 Post Club
Reactions
I thought even the”leather” package was not real leather but I certainly could be wrong.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions
Vehicle
2021 ST
Has anyone had issues with the leather peeling or tearing on their seats??? I've had my car 4 weeks today! I'm under 500 miles and I noticed yesterday that the leather is peeling at a seam on the driver seat. It's a small area right now, but I know the area will increase in size with use. I'm just wondering if this has been a common issue.
Photos?

Reactions
Vehicle
2021 ST
I thought even the”leather” package was not real leather but I certainly could be wrong.
There definitely are leather “surfaces” which means parts of the seat are real leather.

OP
S

STPelt22

Reactions
Vehicle
2022 FORD EXPLORER ST
Thread Starter #7
This isn't the greatest pic. As I stated, it's a small area for now, but i'm sure it will increase in size with use.

Attachments

Reactions
Vehicle
2021 ST
Could it be specks of the suede side sticking through the perforations?

Mick

U.S. Marine Veteran
Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Explorer ST
I had a 2020 ST that split the seam on the drivers side, just got a 2022 so we’ll keep an eye on that

Reactions
I lightly scratched (w finger nail) a piece of kid food stuck crumb something off the back seat and now have a white mark that won’t go away. Same color seen in your pic. Must be thin thin black coating

Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Ford Explorer ST
That's why I have seat covers. I am under no illusion that the seats will hold up over the next 5 years. I found this out with a Focus RS before this ST. Yes, there is a warranty but I just hate turning my car over to the dealership.

Last edited:

STFan

Administrator
Reactions
That's why I have seat covers. I am under no illusion that the seats will hold up over the next 5 years. I found this out with a Focus RS before this ST. Yes, there is a warranty but I just hate turning my car over to the dealership.
Which seat covers did you get?

Reactions
Vehicle
2021 ST
I assume most seat covers will interfere with the cooling.

Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Ford Explorer ST
From this company.. Seat Covers Unlimited.
They have Velcro that loops under the seats.There is a lot of stuff under our seats so it takes a little bit of finessing. They come in three parts.Back, bottom and head rests.
The heated part of seats are so hot that the seat covers really don’t change anything. I have not tried out the cooling of the seats yet because i live in the Sub-Arctic. It only started to warm up this week.
Should be fine.

Kelleigh

Nurse
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
I had a 2020 ST that split the seam on the drivers side, just got a 2022 so we’ll keep an eye on that
I have a 2020 ST and last week noticed the seams on the back of the driver's seat splitting and the very thin leather pulling apart. I immediately went to the dealer but being 600 miles out of warranty, they shrugged and said 'well you can call Ford and see what they will do.' Ford Customer Service said they would do nothing either. I have had this very expensive vehicle for less than 3 years. What a poor example of workmanship as well as customer service. Quite disappointed.

hbalek

Reactions
I have a 2020 ST and last week noticed the seams on the back of the driver's seat splitting and the very thin leather pulling apart. I immediately went to the dealer but being 600 miles out of warranty, they shrugged and said 'well you can call Ford and see what they will do.' Ford Customer Service said they would do nothing either. I have had this very expensive vehicle for less than 3 years. What a poor example of workmanship as well as customer service. Quite disappointed.
I noticed mine the other day too, right below my right shoulder on the backrest. I know I push or lean there getting in and out which causes more wear. I have 38K miles on mine. Honestly, when I got it back in late 2019, I didn't think the seats would wear as well as they have so far. I'll try to post a pic of mine and see if you can too. The seat still makes noise and creaks all the time. I'm used to that and had the broken side panel replaced under warranty last fall just before the 36 month warranty expired.

Last edited:

Kelleigh

Nurse
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
I noticed mine the other day too, right below my right shoulder on the backrest. I know I push or lean there getting in and out which causes more wear. I have 38K miles on mine. Honestly, when I got it back in late 2019, I didn't think the seats would wear as well as they have so far. I'll try to post a pic of mine and see if you can too. The seat still makes noise and creaks all the time. I'm used to that and had the broken side panel replaced under warranty last fall just before the 36 month warranty expired.
This is a pic of mine. Sounds like it is the exact same place you are describing.

Attachments