Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

PCM Update - Does This Affect My ZFG Tune?

Reactions
Hey all;

My wife had some recalls and warranty work completed on her 2020, and one of the things they did was update the PCM. Does anyone know if this overwrites my ZFG tune?

FORZDA3

U.S. Air Force Veteran
Reactions
Vehicle
2021 Explorer ST
Yes. You will need to reflash the tune. If it doesn’t work, it must be updated to the new ECU configuration by Adam/ZFG.

Cruising68

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Correct. When I sent my initial tune in I mentioned to Adam that there was a pcm update available. We agreed to update the pcm then send the file to Adam and wait for the new tune just in case. I believe [mention]FORZDA3 [/mention] is correct updating the pcm overwrites the tune calibration and makes it stock again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
Mobius87
Reactions
Thread Starter #4
Re-uploaded the ZFG tune last night, no issues. Thanks.

Sent from my SM-G991W using Tapatalk

Reactions
Re-uploaded the ZFG tune last night, no issues. Thanks.

Sent from my SM-G991W using Tapatalk
Yea but doesn’t that just undo the dealer PCM update?? And now you are back to before the update…

OP
Mobius87
Reactions
Thread Starter #6
Yea but doesn’t that just undo the dealer PCM update?? And now you are back to before the update…
Yes it does. However, the vehicle operated without issue before the update and we wouldn't even have gotten the update had we not brought the vehicle in for other warranty work. Whatever was in the update is a Schrodinger's cat at this point. Not worth sending off to ZFG for a re-tune at this point, and I'd rather have the tune I paid for than not have it.

Reactions
Which recalls and what warranty? I have some stuff coming up and am wondering if they’ll flash my PCM too
the single bolt subframe recall is the one where your PCM is reprogrammed / replaced by the dealer.

Reactions
Ooooo. Are there any rumors of them detuning the torque?
Rumors yes but nothing proven. A class action lawsuit has kicked off and is underway to see if ford needs to correct the single bolt subframe.

WFO-TSi

Reactions
Vehicle
Not Yet
Read the ECU before and after the dealership flashes the ecu. Load them both into the VCM Editor software and use the "View Comparison Log" option and you can see everything they made changes to.

If you are worried that Ford might actually be making updates that you want to incorporate into your ZFG tune it isn't too hard to paste them over to the tune and write it to the ECU.

I Bleed Ford Blue

U.S. Navy Veteran
Reactions
Vehicle
23 Rapid Red Explorer ST
I had a ZFG tune on my 21 and when it was at the dealer and they updated for the 1 bolt rear recall with the electric parking brake coming on automatically. I only had to deal with that BS for half a day. When I got it home I reloaded the ZFG tune and it wiped out the parking brake recall and it was back to the way it was before I took it in. The dealer and Ford both think the recall is done but the parking brake only comes on when I push the button. Also I never backed up the PCM update before I reloaded the ZFG tune, so the update is gone forever. :LOL:

Last edited: