Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

One year old 22 ST car battery on its way out

st8

1000 Post Club
Reactions
So I have about 12k miles on my 22 ST. A little over a year since I bought it new. For the past 4 months or so, auto start stop hasn’t worked at all. Actually nice. I always had a feeling it was something battery related but never worried about it cause I hate that feature anyway. Now I just checked my ford pass app and I got that deep sleep message. I think this confirms my battery is dying. This seems extremely early. Is this expected or would a dealer consider replacement?

Dale5403

1000 Post Club
Reactions
So I have about 12k miles on my 22 ST. A little over a year since I bought it new. For the past 4 months or so, auto start stop hasn’t worked at all. Actually nice. I always had a feeling it was something battery related but never worried about it cause I hate that feature anyway. Now I just checked my ford pass app and I got that deep sleep message. I think this confirms my battery is dying. This seems extremely early. Is this expected or would a dealer consider replacement?
From my own experience you need to take it in and have Ford test the battery. I thought the same thing when mine was like that but my battery passed.

OP
S

st8

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Thread Starter #3
From my own experience you need to take it in and have Ford test the battery. I thought the same thing when mine was like that but my battery passed.
Thanks. Yeah I’ll give them a call tomorrow. I’m gonna test the battery tonight. I have a garmin dash cam attached to my car that records all the time. I wonder if I should try turning that feature off. Although that adapter is supposed to cut off power to the camera if the power draw becomes too much.

Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Ford Explorer ST
I am not sure what the weather is like where you live, but auto start does not seem to work in colder temperatures.Lots of short trips, followed by the car sitting over night in cold temps will push the battery into deep sleep.

Cdubya

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
If your Garmin has Park Mode, you definitely need to watch what the set minimum car battery voltage is on it--especially in the winter time when batteries discharge faster. I've not seen anyone record 24/7 with their dash cam. Usually park mode needs to be impact and motion activated recording. Some dash cames even have a battery saving park mode with even less sensitivity to trigger recording. Also, getting an occasional deep sleep isn't something to worry about. It's just the car telling you that it's handling low battery power appropriately. I've had plenty, especially early on--and have 3 1/2 years and 60k miles on my original battery. Of course, I rarely get deep sleep anymore since I have a dashcam battery pack by Thinkware and also set minimum voltage to 12.0V for the dashcam. There is also a TSB for deep sleep but I think that only applies to MY2020.

OP
S

st8

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Thread Starter #6
I am not sure what the weather is like where you live, but auto start does not seem to work in colder temperatures.Lots of short trips, followed by the car sitting over night in cold temps will push the battery into deep sleep.
It is cold but the start stop feature wasn’t working even when it was warm. But yeah I can see how even the cold would make it worse.

OP
S

st8

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Thread Starter #7
If your Garmin has Park Mode, you definitely need to watch what the set minimum car battery voltage is on it--especially in the winter time when batteries discharge faster. I've not seen anyone record 24/7 with their dash cam. Usually park mode needs to be impact and motion activated recording. Some dash cames even have a battery saving park mode with even less sensitivity to trigger recording. Also, getting an occasional deep sleep isn't something to worry about. It's just the car telling you that it's handling low battery power appropriately. I've had plenty, especially early on--and have 3 1/2 years and 60k miles on my original battery. Of course, I rarely get deep sleep anymore since I have a dashcam battery pack by Thinkware and also set minimum voltage to 12.0V for the dashcam. There is also a TSB for deep sleep but I think that only applies to MY2020.
I actually do have it set it to 24/7. My understanding with the garmin parking mode is the adapter will cut garmin power if it detects a drop in voltage from the power. I’ve never had any issues but last night when I went out to my car, I turned on my camera to deactivate the parking guard feature and it told me it had a low battery. So I think the cable for the garmin works.

but thanks for the reassurance. I think I will just monitor it for a little especially with that feature disabled. Then if improved, I will make sure not to leave it on 24/7

OP
S

st8

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Thread Starter #8
So last week I went mon through fri with the always on recording on my garmin turned off. Checked voltage fri evening and was sitting at 12.55. Improved 12.41 previously. Going to see if I can get it to 12.6 this week with no always on recording again.