Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

Oil/ Trans Leak

Kryuenger

U.S. Navy Veteran
Reactions
Hey everyone,

I was changing oil today and I noticed some oil splattered everywhere. Any ideas? Thank you in advance.

Attachments

Dale5403

1000 Post Club
Reactions
I cant tell from the pictures. My first guess is the transmission cooler. It's on the left side of the transmission.

DaveG ST

U.S. Army Veteran
Reactions
Was this before you removed the filter and before you added oil. I thought I had a small leak and dealer brushed it off as it came from whoever changed the oil, but they didn't know that person was me. I am usually pretty careful not to get oil everywhere. I also had two 2017 Explorers and they both seemed to leak either engine or trans fluid.

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
We just had ours in the shop for another oil leak, this time it was an output shaft seal in the transfer case.

Attachments

OP
Kryuenger

Kryuenger

U.S. Navy Veteran
Reactions
Thread Starter #5
We just had ours in the shop for another oil leak, this time it was an output shaft seal in the transfer case.
This looks like it could be the issue. Yay!! Another leak

OP
Kryuenger

Kryuenger

U.S. Navy Veteran
Reactions
Thread Starter #6
I assume this is covered under warranty?

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
I assume this is covered under warranty?
It was under our Extended Warranty, we're at about 61k miles. The only other car that we have had past 50k miles, that's seen the shop as much as this vehicle was a 2004 A4. At 61k, the flexpipes have torn themselves to pieces again and the passenger muffler is literally emitting exhaust from at least 4 holes. The same muffler was replaced under warranty for the original owner. The exhaust system isn't warrantied by the ESP. Bought a used flex pipe section from a 21 Aviator, we'll use that to get by until we decide to put an exhaust on it.