Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

Oil consumption? Problem?

Reactions
So checked the oil the other day and it was almost zero on the dipstick. Called service and they had my car for 2 days and said no issues found. Shocker I know. So in ST land.. anyone else have oil consumption issues? I hope this was a fluke. Service said if it happens again before next change they will do a oil consumption test. Whatever.

Reactions
How many miles since last oil change? Are you certain that it was ever full? Any leaks? All engines will vary slightly from one to another regarding oil consumption. Mine has used none but I only have 1,100 miles on it.

OP
O
Reactions
Thread Starter #3
3500mls from zero brand new. Cannot confirm if full before leaving lot.

Reactions
3500mls from zero brand new. Cannot confirm if full before leaving lot.
Either top it off or change it, then check it regularly. I’m changing mine myself now; early, but first oil change is a good idea at low miles. I’ve never bought into the 7,500 or 10,000 mile interval mindset. The manufacturers suggest this so as to advertise lower operating cost. Every 6 months is a good idea no matter how low the mileage too.

OP
O
Reactions
Thread Starter #5
I let the 3500mls rock only because I wanted a 2k oil change by COVID hit and my dealership was closed. I would have changed it myself but I didn't want to risk dealing with a broken pan plug or something to that effect knowing my luck. My bmw 535 is TT and keeps oil like a champ with 86k miles. This truck drank 2/3 quarts. Crazy

Reactions
I let the 3500mls rock only because I wanted a 2k oil change by COVID hit and my dealership was closed. I would have changed it myself but I didn't want to risk dealing with a broken pan plug or something to that effect knowing my luck. My bmw 535 is TT and keeps oil like a champ with 86k miles. This truck drank 2/3 quarts. Crazy
Unless the oil level was low to begin with. I have 3800 on mine and the oil is on the low side but i also didn't check it when i bought it.

Reactions
Going in for first service.. First 2000 miles. Checked oil after overnight sit.
1/2 qt. Low. Driven easy.
Next change will be in another 3k miles....then onto 5k intervals.
Told by service writer that pass points don't pay for tire rotation. Hmmmm. Said points for ford parts or accessories only. ?

Mountain

Reactions
So checked the oil the other day and it was almost zero on the dipstick. Called service and they had my car for 2 days and said no issues found. Shocker I know. So in ST land.. anyone else have oil consumption issues? I hope this was a fluke. Service said if it happens again before next change they will do a oil consumption test. Whatever.
Same issue in my 2020 ST. At 3rd oil chang around 21000 mike mark dipstick showed no oil on stick. At 23000 mark I checked to be sure. Down a quart. No leaks. Topped off. Certainly something to keep and eye on. Other than this car has been trouble free.

F=MA

Reactions
Checked mine. Almost 4,000 miles since I changed the oil and filter myself and the Mobil 1 full synthetic oil was still touching the full mark and the oil looked like I had just changed it. WTF? (y)

Reactions
Mine was 1/2 quart low at purchase. I changed oil at 1000 with Redline synthetic and installed UPR quick drain plug. Now 4000 and no change from full. Also less than 1/8 oz of fluid in JLT catch can. Most likely not full from factory

Reactions
I’m at ~500 miles on the factory fill. Just checked the oil level and it’s sitting at full :)

Reactions
And turbo vehicle will use a bit of oil normally. Seeing a few ecoboost in for general servicing on the regular is pretty normal. I also won't be following the owners manual and waiting for 7500 miles. I'll be doing the first one at about 600 miles and then every 5k miles thereafter.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

Cdubya

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
Mine is about a quart low after 10k miles.

CapTom

U.S. Army Veteran
Firefighter/EMT
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
Mine had about 14000 miles now, and almost 5000 since the last oil change. It finally used about a half quart when I checked it yesterday. But, we're in the hot weather season and I do have a problem with my right foot on the skinny pedal, so I'm not complaining.

GearHead_1

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
Exploder
Mine is about a quart low after 10k miles.
The problem here isn't that it's down a quart but that one of these high-strung, twin-turbo engines is going 10,000 miles between oil changes. These little bullets need more love than this.

EDIT: Re-read this maybe it's 10,000 miles on the vehicle instead of between changes? I'll leave my comment stand all the same.

Reactions
I don't believe in 10k miles oil changes on anything gas powered!

Cdubya

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
I did mean 10k miles between oil changes (pretty much doing them when the car says it's time). Same interval when I owned BMW too. Plenty of people have tested their oil at that interval and it was fine.

GearHead_1

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
Exploder
Do you ever mat the skinny pedal?

ST+

Reactions
Either top it off or change it, then check it regularly. I’m changing mine myself now; early, but first oil change is a good idea at low miles. I’ve never bought into the 7,500 or 10,000 mile interval mindset. The manufacturers suggest this so as to advertise lower operating cost. Every 6 months is a good idea no matter how low the mileage too.
YES YES YES -- Absolutely worth the extra $$$ -- and synth too. Just did mine after 1100 miles. The turbos which are oil cooled and lubricated will also be very happy .

I've read that some ST's can be a little high on oil consumption but with regular checking it should suffice. Mine burned a half quart during the so called breakin but nothing since. have 2000 miles now.

I usually do my own but if I don't I always check to make sure the oil, filter and level are as they should be. There are videos of folks who have assumed the job was done right but found out the hard way that it wasn't. Caveat Emptor.

Last edited:
Reactions
I did mean 10k miles between oil changes (pretty much doing them when the car says it's time). Same interval when I owned BMW too. Plenty of people have tested their oil at that interval and it was fine.
We have a customer who also believed in bmws 10k miles lol changes at 65k miles his engine was full of sludge and done.... think bmw covered it? Nope.... even though he had records of all his recommended services