Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

Offroad Mods

Hannible

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Ford Explorer ST
Hello everyone, im new to this forum and been looking into making my ST a bit more offroadie. I've had the ST for 4 years now and have had fun on the street and now looking into hitting some of the back roads. I know I won't be running with the broncos or the jeeps but just to be able to hit some tamed trails. Looks like we are a bit limited to what we can do to it as far as suspension and lifts. For the lift kit i will be going with the traxda 1.5" lift. I saw there was also a H&R spring lift. H&R 51633 Explorer Lift Springs (20-24) (steeda.com). Wondering if anyone has done both to the ST. I have also read issue with vibration when going on 2" lift. Im thinking i might run into the same issue if i go with both mods without re-engineering the whole trans and suspension but if anyone can verify.

Thanks 20240505_170731.jpg

2020FordRaptor

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Ford F-150 Raptor
Hello everyone, im new to this forum and been looking into making my ST a bit more offroadie. I've had the ST for 4 years now and have had fun on the street and now looking into hitting some of the back roads. I know I won't be running with the broncos or the jeeps but just to be able to hit some tamed trails. Looks like we are a bit limited to what we can do to it as far as suspension and lifts. For the lift kit i will be going with the traxda 1.5" lift. I saw there was also a H&R spring lift. H&R 51633 Explorer Lift Springs (20-24) (steeda.com). Wondering if anyone has done both to the ST. I have also read issue with vibration when going on 2" lift. Im thinking i might run into the same issue if i go with both mods without re-engineering the whole trans and suspension but if anyone can verify.

Thanks View attachment 23024
Very few have gone down the off road path you want to go. There is a guy on Facebook who did a pretty neat job turning his ST into more rugged. As far as off road parts, the lift and a timberline skid plate is all your going to find.

Cajun Heat

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Explorer ST

Thanks View attachment 23024
Welcome to the forum.

OP
Hannible

Hannible

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Ford Explorer ST
Thread Starter #4
Very few have gone down the off road path you want to go. There is a guy on Facebook who did a pretty neat job turning his ST into more rugged. As far as off road parts, the lift and a timberline skid plate is all your going to find.
I was disappointed that after 4 years there wasn't many mods on the off-roading side, but i did get the street trim which is kind of ironic now lol. Do you happen to know the guys facebook info. Maybe he can guide me and take it as far as my wallet allows it. Thanks again.

2020FordRaptor

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Ford F-150 Raptor
I was disappointed that after 4 years there wasn't many mods on the off-roading side, but i did get the street trim which is kind of ironic now lol. Do you happen to know the guys facebook info. Maybe he can guide me and take it as far as my wallet allows it. Thanks again.
Guess I should’ve said there has been only one guy that I have seen of who went more off road. All he did was a Traxda lift, timberline skid plate, roof rack, and beefier tires. I don’t remember his info.

I Bleed Ford Blue

U.S. Navy Veteran
Reactions
Vehicle
23 Rapid Red Explorer ST
If you can find one from a wrecked timberline snag the entire rear differential assembly, they came with with a torsen rear diff and have the same gear ratio as the ST's. Ask any offroader, having a posi or locking rear is basically mandatory for any real off roading. The torsen in the timberline is the only one out there that fits the ST

2020FordRaptor

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Ford F-150 Raptor
If you can find one from a wrecked timberline snag the entire rear differential assembly, they came with with a torsen rear diff and have the same gear ratio as the ST's. Ask any offroader, having a posi or locking rear is basically mandatory for any real off roading. The torsen in the timberline is the only one out there that fits the ST
It is extremely difficult to find one so if he finds one he needs to triple verify all the numbers show it’s a Torsten.

I Bleed Ford Blue

U.S. Navy Veteran
Reactions
Vehicle
23 Rapid Red Explorer ST
if OP has the coin, he can buy a new one direct from Ford, but I suspect it will be north of 2K for a complete unit.

OP
Hannible

Hannible

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Ford Explorer ST
Thread Starter #9
Looks like I will just be going with the traxda lift and the skid plate which will still help a bit when going offroad but I will definitely go to ford and ask about the torsten differential and the cost for install and everything. Will update when i get answers. Thanks everyone.

powerboatr

U.S. Navy Veteran
Reactions
Vehicle
2023 Explorer ST
Looks like I will just be going with the traxda lift and the skid plate which will still help a bit when going offroad but I will definitely go to ford and ask about the torsten differential and the cost for install and everything. Will update when i get answers. Thanks everyone.
2nd if price is not to much of factor
You can buy the springs and the piece parts from ford.
Skid plate is under 150 for transmission

It's the least pricey
You can pull a Vin and shop the different parts at ford parts. To get the skinny
It was me
Change to more off road tire
Do the timberline skid plates and bash plate
Then play bronco sport and have fun