Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

Offroad experiences - post em up!

Reactions
Here’s a thread for us to share our Offroad experiences in our ST (no matter how minor) so we can learn from our trials and tribulations!

Coming from a jeep grand Cherokee Trailhawk with a low range transfer case, ELSD, and full under body armor, getting into the ST was a bit of shell shock for me but so far so good. I took her out for some light off roading with a mix of dirt, hard pack, gravel, and slick shallow and semi-deep chunky mud with good results. I can say that I felt an abundance of slippage in virtually every mode except deep sand/snow. Trail mode wasn’t bad but didnt notice anything super special about it. Slippery just delayed throttle response which was the opposite of what I wanted when I started feeling like I was on the vergegetting stuck.

None of the modes inspired off-road confidence except deep sand/snow. It was like activating a locking diff. It was night/day compared to all other modes.

PS Wife didnt wanna get out in the middle of a mud hole to snap a shot so she took a few pics early on in the ride

Attachments

CapTom

U.S. Army Veteran
Firefighter/EMT
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
As part of the Explorer Experience in Asheville last fall we got to do some easy off road driving. It seemed to handle it very well, although nothing like my Jeep Wrangler.

OP
B
Reactions
Thread Starter #3
I’m excited to go to Asheville next month. Looking forward to beating them up off-road as much as possible so I can not duplicate on mine lol

zdubyadubya

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 ST
I’m excited to go to Asheville next month. Looking forward to beating them up off-road as much as possible so I can not duplicate on mine lol
The Park City off-road experience was pretty cool too. They made sure each of us got at least one wheel a couple feet off the ground so they could show off how little chassis flex there was. The trails certainly weren't anything that a Subaru couldn't handle with ease but they were still fun.

OP
B
Reactions
Thread Starter #5
The Park City off-road experience was pretty cool too. They made sure each of us got at least one wheel a couple feet off the ground so they could show off how little chassis flex there was. The trails certainly weren't anything that a Subaru couldn't handle with ease but they were still fun.
Lack of chassis flex is like the opposite of what you want off road haha

Reactions
I dig the tires and the LEDs on the grill look sharp.

OP
B
Reactions
Thread Starter #8
I dig the tires and the LEDs on the grill look sharp.
thx man! Looks better now with wheel spacers in the back. Waiting on the front spacers & then it'll have that legit slight tire poke look ;-)

Reactions
I'm waiting on my spacers as well. Like a kid waiting for Christmas.... what's the story with the LEDs?

OP
B
Reactions
Thread Starter #10
Haha yea and the turn around from Bora is like 3 weeks these days :-( Grill LEDs are just aesthetically pleasing lol. Esp. at night they make the truck look mean AF

Attachments

CapTom

U.S. Army Veteran
Firefighter/EMT
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
At Asheville when they gave us our cars for the day the guy said: "Drive it like it's a rental".

OP
B
Reactions
Thread Starter #12
Amen to that! When im done theyre gunna have to replace tires & pads haha. Wanna get my $$ worth

GearHead_1

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
Exploder
And then these vehicles go to the Auction. :D Then the buyers wonder why they got this current model year vehicle with only 2000 miles on it. :rolleyes:

CapTom

U.S. Army Veteran
Firefighter/EMT
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
Amen to that! When im done theyre gunna have to replace tires & pads haha. Wanna get my $$ worth
You get several runs at the pylon course. I did one run "old school", actually got it to broadslide the U turn. Slower than the other times, but so much fun!

Reactions
Actually does ok around the farm. Haven't gotten stuck yet

Sent from my SM-S916U using Tapatalk

Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Explorer ST
The only off-road experience we have had was at the ST Experience in Asheville. We got to demo the hill assist and one of the drive modes.

Reactions
Vehicle
69 Mach 1
Haha yea and the turn around from Bora is like 3 weeks these days :-( Grill LEDs are just aesthetically pleasing lol. Esp. at night they make the truck look mean AF
I have a black explorer as well, I would image that flashing grill LEDs would further encourage other slower motorists to move out of the way on the freeway.

We got this car a few weeks ago….the first road trip my wife reports to me she flashed the hi beams and said those LED lights are bright and made a few slow moving cars move out of the fast lane.

I told her yes they are bright….but they also probably thought you were a ghost car and so you got a much prompter lane change….lol