Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

Obnoxious Rattle in Driver Door

Reactions
Hey, y'all. New to the forum here, glad it exists!

So we got our ST about 3 weeks ago and it has had the most persistent rattle in the driver door (among other places, but not so bad there) when listening to music. Dealership looked into it and tried a few things. It worked for 2 days and is back.

Any idea what it could be?

Reactions
Mine does it too. One of the only things that bothers me about the truck. I find 2 things happen... I either have to push down the interior door handle(that opens the door) or push the lock pin itself. I doubt the dealer will be able to fix it it’s probably something the car audio guys have more experience with

OP
SilverST
Reactions
Thread Starter #3
Mine does it too. One of the only things that bothers me about the truck. I find 2 things happen... I either have to push down the interior door handle(that opens the door) or push the lock pin itself. I doubt the dealer will be able to fix it it’s probably something the car audio guys have more experience with
So far in my experience, I can press anywhere (my default is just putting a little pressure with my knee onto the panel, it's not fool-proof unfortunately.) It lessens when the door is locked. I'm gonna get a panel tool and pull the panel and just deaden the whole lot of it.

I had ford look at it while they were fixing a messed up D-pillar clip. They did trial and error for 4 hours and ended up putting a strip of felt along the door, to no avail.

OP
SilverST
Reactions
Thread Starter #4
So I just took the panel off and lo-and-behold, it was the lock/unlock cables. They were clearly not secured and are a thick braided metal wrapped in thin foam. Secured with zip ties and a layer of Stinger Roadkill, we are good to go now!

All ya need is a 7mm and 10mm socket and, if you're afraid to just go tugging on panels, a panel removal tool.

Reactions
It is December now, got my vehicle only end of October, later build, and I still have rattles all over the vehicle, mostly interior, at least that is what I hear because I never drive with the windows open. So, it has been so many months and they don't seem to have addressed any of these rattles.

It has gotten to a point where I have even nicknamed my vehicle Rattlesnake.