Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

Not even 6 mos and got a chip/crack in the windshield :(

sanc1384

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
Driving on the turnpike in S. FL yesterday. I hear a "clink" and right in front of me is now a small star shaped crack. Any advice on how to handle this or who to have fix this? There obviously important stuff on that glass that will have to be reinstalled correctly. Any advice is greatly appreciated. Thanks

I Bleed Ford Blue

U.S. Navy Veteran
Reactions
Vehicle
23 Rapid Red Explorer ST
Had that happen on my 21, next morning it spiderwebbed across the whole windshield from a pillar to a pillar. Against my better judgement, I had safelite replace it. They did a good job. Insist on a factory ford windshield.

Cdubya

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
If it's small, I'd get the crack filled in. Safelite does that and it's a fraction of the cost of a new windshield which can run around $1000 nowadays. Just be aware that the Safelite process can ruin the windshield but then they will offer a discount on the full replacement (don't ask me how I know). They also have DIY kits which I have used also. For both Safelite and DIY kit, I have not had the crack spread. Even a ding that doesn't have a crack should be filled in because it'll probably turn in to a crack later. Check with your auto insurance. Some have free windshield repair or even replacement.

https://www.safelite.com/windshield-repair

https://a.co/d/2Inf4D5

Last edited:

Cruising68

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Got my first and only at about 3 months. Fortunately it is invisible after satellite.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Explorer ST
Check with your auto insurance. Some have free windshield repair or even replacement.
Start from here. Call and check what your policy is covering. In some cases deductable is also applicable. Usually insurance guys will direct you to their favorite repair places, which will work out cheaper for you.

Silver lining is if you have to replace it, try to get one with heated windshield wiper coils. Read somewhere here that, they can be enabled for newer models, if you have the correct hardware and software.

I Bleed Ford Blue

U.S. Navy Veteran
Reactions
Vehicle
23 Rapid Red Explorer ST
OP has a 20, that year came with the wiper deicer. The following years it got deleted, and Ford removed the wiring so you would have to build your own if you want that feature.

Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Explorer ST
The six months reference in the topic name, confused me.
I hope, I never get to find out, if I can enable De-icer in my 22.

OP
S

sanc1384

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
Thread Starter #8
Thanks everyone. I did some research after all your suggestions. Im going to make few calls tomorrow to see about a repair instead of a full on replacement. I know it wont be perfect but itd be wayyyy better imo than dealing with the hassel otherwise. What concerns me is the systems on the windshield and them being re-installed properly and calibrated. Looks like a lot going on up there. Ill post some pics of before and after once its done. Thanks again!

Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Explorer ST
My wife's 2022 caught a rock on our way home from TX to IL.It was not repairable and our insurance policy covers glass replacement/repair for $0 out of pocket. Safelite came 2 days later with an aftermarket glass (OEM had an ETA of a few weeks to months, special order per the agent). Took the guy about an hour and he calibrated it with no issues. I made sure to test everything afterward. No issues so far with the aftermarket windshield and no noticeable difference in acoustics or clarity.

Reactions
Vehicle
2022 ST
there is a DIY kit that is available on Amazon. these windshields seem to be a rock magnet. I have patched several chips before anything has gotten worse. also i dont want to lose my cool explorer logo on the bottom right.

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 ST
My wife's RAV got one like that. Safelite did the repair thing. I don't believe it's gotten any bigger. Depending on your state's insurance laws, you can try the repair route. Many states have a no-deductible windshield replacement.