Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

nostrum HPFP & injectors stage 1 or 2?

Reactions
looking at Nostrum HPFP & injectors but not sure if I should start at Stage 1 or go right to Stage 2...Nostrum website says Stage 2 if you're thinking of upgrading turbos or built engine. Stage 3 says for sure needs upgraded turbos etc.
I probably won't be upgrading turbos any time soon if ever....
sooooo my question is - can I still install Stage 2? or stick with Stage 1..?
here's a list of current modifications.. im running 94 octane..

-HR lowering springs
-Steeda adjustable rear sway bar
-Whipple Mega Cooler
-SPD Performance 3” catted downpipes
-Borla Atak cat back exhaust
-Asanti Black ABL-20 Aries Gloss Black 22x10.5 +35 5x114.3MM 72.6MM
-Michelin Pilot Super Sport 305/35/22
-Romik REC-B running boards
-Rotora Front 8-Piston/405x36mm 3D drilled discs w/white finish/red logo
-Rotora Rear 4-Piston 380x29mm 3D drilled discs w/white finish/red logo
-aFe Power Momentum GT cold air intake system w/pro 5R filters
-Lethal Performance 2.5” Mid Pipes
-Velossa Tech Ford Explorer ST BIG MOUTH Ram Air Intake Snorkel
-Houston Speed Freaks HSF Ford Explorer Full LED kit
-Diode Dynamics Stage Series DOT/SAE x2
-Diode Dynamics Stage Series Fog x2
-Steeda Explorer ST Subframe Bushing Support Kit
-aFe Ford Explorer ST V6 3.0L (tt) BladeRunner Aluminum Hot and Cold Charge Pipe Kit - Red
-Livernoise Motorsports 2020 Explorer ST Stage 4 tune

IMG_2545.jpeg

Attachments

TMac

1000 Post Club
Reactions
If you're running 94 octane gasoline, why upgrade at all? You would only need an upgrade if you were planning on using more than a 50:50 mixture of ethanol.

OP
sleekone
Reactions
Thread Starter #3
If you're running 94 octane gasoline, why upgrade at all? You would only need an upgrade if you were planning on using more than a 50:50 mixture of ethanol.
its like Everest...becasue its there. lol.

and from what Im reading on other posts it's still a significant upgrade...

no access to anything better than 93/94 octane in Canada...no E85 etc unfortunately..

Cruising68

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Agree with others, if running premium and no e85, no reason to upgrade. Now if your plan is for bigger turbos down the road, no problem doing it in steps.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TMac

1000 Post Club
Reactions
its like Everest...becasue its there. lol.

and from what Im reading on other posts it's still a significant upgrade...

no access to anything better than 93/94 octane in Canada...no E85 etc unfortunately..
I don't know what you read, but if you're not using ethanol, there is absolutely no HP benefit to a fueling upgrade on stock turbos. But if you want to lighten your wallet, go for it.

OP
sleekone
Reactions
Thread Starter #6
Agree with others, if running premium and no e85, no reason to upgrade. Now if your plan is for bigger turbos down the road, no problem doing it in steps.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
so what I’m hearing is…do the Nostrum Stage 2 bundle now, and upgrade your turbos next.

what kind of additional HP would that net?

Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Ford Explorer Platinum
OP
sleekone
Reactions
Thread Starter #8
Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Ford Explorer Platinum
I like saving money lol

but what kind of increase could be expected from either stage 2 or stage 3 + turbos on 93 octane?
According to the marketing people at Nostrum, the stage 2 have an increased flow rate of 24% over stock with a whp potential of 850 on pump gasoline and 750 on E85. The stage 3, once again according to Nostrums marketing people, have an increased flow rate of 96% over stock with a whp potential of 1,200 on pump gasoline and 1,075 on E85.

I believe Kevin's 2020 ST (not sure who the current owner is now) is pushing 774awhp and I believe they are running stage 2 injectors. I believe RSA is also using stage 2s on their builds which I believe are pushing north of 650awhp which can achieve 0-60 in as little as 2.54 second and 1/4 mile in 10.5, both (0-60 and 1/4 mile) according to Draggy, though I don't recall if they are running pump or corn. :oops:

There are a lot advancements being made now on the platform, so I think it all depends on what your goals and budget are as to which stage injector, if any, would be best for your desired setup.