Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

New owner Sport mode/ turbo very underwhelming

DZL70

Reactions
Hello everyone,
Picked up new ST a few days ago and I'm underwhelmed by the engine performance.
In sport mode from a dead spot takes way longer than 5.5 secs 0-60.
When I first test drove a different ST seemed a lot more punchy and responsive.
When I start at a stand still, or merging onto the highway pedal to the floor seems to lack turbo.
At least until i get up to speed then I get a little seat planting torque
My 2017 Jeep grand cherokee overland had more response. What am I doing wrong?
Any advice would be appreciated............

Reactions
Run one tank of 93 through it before you evaluate performance. The computer will take it's time to ramp up the boost and timing.

DZL1970

Reactions
Ok thanks will try that.

Reactions
Interested in whether this changed for you. I’ve test driven probably 8 or 9 STs, and each one had it’s quirk. One in particular had some kind of issue with the air intake or manifold, it sounded loud, and the vehicle felt like it was lagging power. Another that I test drove the other day threw O2 sensor codes with only 5 miles on it (I brought my OBDLink MX+ with me).

Reactions
If you're still on dealer gas you know that's 87......

Could always tune it, just did mine and it woke it up big-time. Still not loving the transmission behavior though.

Reactions

Could always tune it, just did mine and it woke it up big-time. Still not loving the transmission behavior though.
What specifically about the tranny is your issue? I’m on my second ST, and finally found one that doesn’t lurch when coming to a stop in sport mode. Only two that I’ve test driven didn’t behave like this, the other being the one I mentioned above with the O2 issues. I have to admit though, the new one also feels like it pulls much stronger than my old one, and I’m still on the dealer tank.

Reactions
What specifically about the tranny is your issue? I’m on my second ST, and finally found one that doesn’t lurch when coming to a stop in sport mode. Only two that I’ve test driven didn’t behave like this, the other being the one I mentioned above with the O2 issues. I have to admit though, the new one also feels like it pulls much stronger than my old one, and I’m still on the dealer tank.
It's just jerky to me....I think it got remapped with my tune to shift sequential which helped a bit, but just isn't smooth at all. I came from a Hellcat and it was like butter compared to this. My only gripe about the car thus far.

Reactions
It's just jerky to me....I think it got remapped with my tune to shift sequential which helped a bit, but just isn't smooth at all. I came from a Hellcat and it was like butter compared to this. My only gripe about the car thus far.
Funny you mention that. My Wife took her ST into the Dealer the other day, because the LED housing under the driver mirror that logos "ST" on the ground, BROKE, when she closed the door.... Sadly, Ford has told her that these are custom made, and Dealerships don't carry them. They had to email the Ford Factory Plant to see if they can get one. [Good luck with that]... While at the Dealer, a couple Master Techs walked over and asked how we liked the ST and we stated that we liked it thus far, only 500 miles in. They stated that it's nothing to be alarmed about but Ford is investigating an issue with the ST Transmission and around 3k miles it will begin to act up. If you bring it in, they re-flash the Transmission and load a new file to it and it fixes all the issues. They said the issue around 3k is clunking, or jerking when descending and a few other things, of which I can't remember.

STircrazy

Reactions
Funny you mention that. My Wife took her ST into the Dealer the other day, because the LED housing under the driver mirror that logos "ST" on the ground, BROKE, when she closed the door.... Sadly, Ford has told her that these are custom made, and Dealerships don't carry them. They had to email the Ford Factory Plant to see if they can get one. [Good luck with that]... While at the Dealer, a couple Master Techs walked over and asked how we liked the ST and we stated that we liked it thus far, only 500 miles in. They stated that it's nothing to be alarmed about but Ford is investigating an issue with the ST Transmission and around 3k miles it will begin to act up. If you bring it in, they re-flash the Transmission and load a new file to it and it fixes all the issues. They said the issue around 3k is clunking, or jerking when descending and a few other things, of which I can't remember.
Interesting, I just came back from a local Ford dealer and I heard something similar. One of the service techs advised me that the Explorers coming we're having transmission issues. He could not verify whether it was only STs or not though.

Reactions
I just passed 8,800 miles. Around 3,50 of those miles was pulling a 5,000 lb. travel trailer. I was in Tow mode. I had the Intelligent CC set to Speed Limit (sign) + 2 mph. More than once when I was trying to get past some idiot, I'd look down and see 80+ and never feel it; I even saw 96 TWICE - and not a sway, pull, or anything. Sure, with more than a few miles grinding an 18-wheeler, I know there's a trailer, but those twin turbos contribute to a lot of twist. Very rarely did anything beat me off the line, and without the trailer, no one has. I AM running 93. On my 3,500 mi trip, I averaged 8.6 mpg. I stopped for gas every 120-130 mi. Most of the time I ran 93. On a fairly flat stretch I got 7.4, 7.9, 8.5, and 6.7. - ALL FROM "93" octane. (That was in a 65 mph stretch - at 57, I got 10, 8.8 at 67, and 7.5 at 72) So yeah, make sure your gas is good.
My ST can get a little jerky if I forget and leave it in SPORT around town. I mean, other than at lights, why be in sport mode? It's meant to hang in a gear longer going up AND coming down the RPM band. And unless you've "modified" the exhaust, no one hears you anyhow; romping on the gas sounds good to only you - the transmission is saying, "WTF?" and from the quiet outside you look kinda dumb......but at the light...heh..heh.

PJ

Reactions

My dealer filled mine up with 93, I requested it, they sent a guy out, he came back and showed the receipt to verify it was 93. I'm still on the first tank, but the 100 mile drive home in eco, I averaged 23.8. I don't know how accurate the system is, I will hand calculate on the next fill up. I only have 250 miles on it, so its still under break in.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk