Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

new '23 in the stable

Toadster

Law Enforcement
Reactions
Vehicle
'23 ExST, '17 Raptor, '16 FoST, FFR Cobra
Love this forum, you have all contributed to helping empty my wallet a bit more :)

Last night my wife and I got her new '23 ST Stone Blue Metallic, 401a, moonroof, tech package, ST High Pack, ST Street Pack
She's been driving a 2016 Focus ST since new, and has loved the ST family - wanted something bigger, and has been eyeballing the ExST for a few years...
The dealer did get us to MSRP, and we had first responder discount - overall happy with the purchase, only took 2 hours - and 0% financing is amazing in this economy!!!

items that did not make the build
4G LTW HotSpot

We like to mod our cars, and here's the short list (so far) - give recommendations, I'm all ears :D
2020-23 Ford Explorer 3.0l ZFG Racing Stage 1 w/Whipple Intercooler 439 EXPLORER-ST-STG-1 (tuned for 91 octane)
Thermal R&D 2.5" Cat-Back Exhaust System - Black Tips B910-C910-B
Steeda Explorer Ultimate Handling Package (2020-2022) 555-2138
Mishimoto Explorer ST Baffled Oil Catch Can Kit (2020-2022) MMBCC-EST-20PBE
Redline Tuning 21-11036-02 Hood QuickLIFT PLUS System with Carbon Fiber Sleeves RLT-21-11036-02

the Stone Blue Metallic looks amazing IMHO we will see how it cleans up over time :)

ExST.png

Last edited:

Cajun Heat

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Explorer ST
Love this forum, you have all contributed to helping empty my wallet a bit more :)

Last night my wife and I got her new '23 ST Stone Blue Metallic, 401a, moonroof, tech package, ST High Pack, ST Street Pack
She's been driving a 2016 Focus ST since new, and has loved the ST family - wanted something bigger, and has been eyeballing the ExST for a few years...
The dealer did get us to MSRP, and we had first responder discount - overall happy with the purchase, only took 2 hours - and 0% financing is amazing in this economy!!!

We like to mod our cars, and here's the short list (so far) - give recommendations, I'm all ears :D
2020-23 Ford Explorer 3.0l ZFG Racing Stage 1 w/Whipple Intercooler 439 EXPLORER-ST-STG-1 (tuned for 91 octane)
Redline Tuning 21-11036-02 Hood QuickLIFT PLUS System with Carbon Fiber Sleeves RLT-21-11036-02

the Stone Blue Metallic looks amazing IMHO we will see how it cleans up over time :)

View attachment 16700
Congratulations and love that color. The first ST we had, for a week, was that color.

OP
Toadster

Toadster

Law Enforcement
Reactions
Vehicle
Thread Starter #3
Congratulations and love that color. The first ST we had, for a week, was that color.
Thanks!

your mod list has my head spinning :)

Cajun Heat

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Explorer ST
Thanks!

your mod list has my head spinning :)
I have one more thing that I want to do, wrap the roof and painted pillars to match the gloss black "A" pillars. If I do anything more my wife said I have to buy her another ST and I get to keep this one...lol

I Bleed Ford Blue

U.S. Navy Veteran
Reactions
Vehicle
23 Rapid Red Explorer ST
ZFG does not sell tunes to CA residents. You may have to look elsewhere.

OP
Toadster

Toadster

Law Enforcement
Reactions
Vehicle
Thread Starter #6
ZFG does not sell tunes to CA residents. You may have to look elsewhere.
Interesting - there are some here who have a ZFG tune
not an issue, I can always go Whipple Tune as they're CARB legal, and they did a great job on my '17 Raptor Stage1 kit

Cajun Heat

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Explorer ST
Interesting - there are some here who have a ZFG tune
Do a forum search as this has been discussed about how CA residents are getting tunes.

I Bleed Ford Blue

U.S. Navy Veteran
Reactions
Vehicle
23 Rapid Red Explorer ST
I agree with everything on your mod list except the mishimoto catch can. They are way to expensive for what they are or what they do. We are talking about a simple catch can. I have a JLT, it was 150 bucks when I bought it back in 22. They are only 160 now, but have a new name, as JLT spun off there catch can business. They are now J&L oil separator company.

https://www.lmperformance.com/10871...ed-finish-for-ford-explorer-30l-ecoboost.html

OP
Toadster

Toadster

Law Enforcement
Reactions
Vehicle
Thread Starter #9
I agree with everything on your mod list except the mishimoto catch can. They are way to expensive for what they are or what they do. We are talking about a simple catch can. I have a JLT, it was 150 bucks when I bought it back in 22. They are only 160 now, but have a new name, as JLT spun off there catch can business. They are now J&L oil separator company.

https://www.lmperformance.com/10871...ed-finish-for-ford-explorer-30l-ecoboost.html
I guess I was liking the cleaner look of the Mishimoto, but looks like a pain to empty!

I Bleed Ford Blue

U.S. Navy Veteran
Reactions
Vehicle
23 Rapid Red Explorer ST
It's your money, spend it how you like. But some advice, what ever catch can brand you buy when you open it up to drain and clean it out, make sure you lube the o-ring with clean oil before you put it back together. Otherwise it becomes a motherfucker to get it open again after it has sat for months with a dry o-ring. Trust me, I found out the hard way.

Blue Beast

1000 Post Club
U.S. Army Veteran
Law Enforcement
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 ST

Auto Start/Stop
2nd Row Climate Controls - this I'd like to retrofit
Multi-Contour Seats
4G LTW HotSpot

View attachment 16700
Welcome to the forum

OP
Toadster

Toadster

Law Enforcement
Reactions
Vehicle
Thread Starter #13
update, I think it's just the 4G Hotspot that didn't make it - woohoo!

I Bleed Ford Blue

U.S. Navy Veteran
Reactions
Vehicle
23 Rapid Red Explorer ST
I've never used mine, but I believe it needs to be there for the ford pass app to communicate with the vehicle. And I use the ford pass app all the time.

It should say on the window sticker what didn't make it onto the car.

I Bleed Ford Blue

U.S. Navy Veteran
Reactions
Vehicle
23 Rapid Red Explorer ST
FYI, no matter what any tuner will tell you, the ExST will run on E30 from the factory. But you will need a tune to take full advantage of E30. Some tuners will charge extra for an E30 tune, but ZFG does not. He writes it into every tune from the get, except the E50 and E85 tunes. There is a ethanol calculator on ZFG site and the ExST has a 20 gallon tank.

Also, ZFG can enable show all gears in all drive modes. On the bottom center of the dash cluster where it shows PRNDM it will show 1-10 right next to it in orange. It doesn't show that from the factory.

OP
Toadster

Toadster

Law Enforcement
Reactions
Vehicle
Thread Starter #16
FYI, no matter what any tuner will tell you, the ExST will run on E30 from the factory. But you will need a tune to take full advantage of E30. Some tuners will charge extra for an E30 tune, but ZFG does not. He writes it into every tune from the get, except the E50 and E85 tunes. There is a ethanol calculator on ZFG site and the ExST has a 20 gallon tank.

Also, ZFG can enable show all gears in all drive modes. On the bottom center of the dash cluster where it shows PRNDM it will show 1-10 right next to it in orange. It doesn't show that from the factory.
yeah, won't need the E'anything' tunes, just not wanting to hunt for those stations around here as much, we generally run 91 octane from a Tier1 and can get it anywhere...
interesting that the gear showcase isn't something you can do in Forscan

OP
Toadster

Toadster

Law Enforcement
Reactions
Vehicle
Thread Starter #17
I've never used mine, but I believe it needs to be there for the ford pass app to communicate with the vehicle. And I use the ford pass app all the time.

It should say on the window sticker what didn't make it onto the car.
sorry didn't clarify, its' the 4G WiFi Hotspot, and yes we got the $20 credit LOL

on the sign sheet it's the only one he checked as well, and the Premium Tech was already removed for just the Tech Package

rear seat controls look to be there (visually they're in the car)
auto start/stop, honestly I could care less - in my raptor I turn it off 95% of the time

I Bleed Ford Blue

U.S. Navy Veteran
Reactions
Vehicle
23 Rapid Red Explorer ST
It may be, but no-one has found it. If you have a nice straight, level "mexican" road nearby that you can play on, get yourself a dragy so you can track your progress. There is a member on here who designed a combo phone holder/dragy mount on a 3D printer and he sells them http://www.lethaldesignsolutions.com/ They take about 30 seconds to install.

I Bleed Ford Blue

U.S. Navy Veteran
Reactions
Vehicle
23 Rapid Red Explorer ST
You can get an Autostop Eliminator and never worry about that BS again.

Reactions
Vehicle
2021 Explorer ST

4G LTW HotSpot

View attachment 16700
love that color congrats.

Folsom Ford has zero % financing? thats a huge plus.