Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

Name ONE ST Feature others might not know.....

hbalek

Reactions
I do love that. How did I do cruise control without this option?

To add to that, if you have your preferred tolerance set for 9 miles over the speed limit & you bump up the RESUME button to 11 miles over the speed limit, the next SPEED LIMIT sign change will bring you back to your preferred tolerance setting of 9 miles over the speed limit. Can get annoying but it makes sense if you go from a highway speed to a neighborhood speed.
Yeah every time the camera reads a new speed limit sign, it changes your speed to that regardless of your last setting. BTW, a few times a 35 was read as 85. Luckily I was not using cruise control!

OP
KegsBdry

KegsBdry

Reactions
Thread Starter #22
PICTURE #1: SOFT TOP WITH SIDE LIDS FLAT
1589469169507.png

PICTURE #2: SOFT TOP WITH SIDE LIDS VERTICAL IN PLACE
1589469198833.png

PICTURE #3: HARD TOP (FLIPPED OVER) WITH SIDE LIDS FLAT (& NETTING)
1589469291035.png

It's nice that the EXPLORER image is on the handle to show it does work both ways!

OP
KegsBdry

KegsBdry

Reactions
Thread Starter #23
Read from this website: Sync 3 (APIM module) sends its configuration changes to Ford. So if you change something there, Sync will send these changes when connects to the Internet, and after some time you can see them on Motorocraft site. So far there are no known outcomes of this (like loss of warranty), but it is important to known anyway.

LokiWolf

Reactions
Read from this website: Sync 3 (APIM module) sends its configuration changes to Ford. So if you change something there, Sync will send these changes when connects to the Internet, and after some time you can see them on Motorocraft site. So far there are no known outcomes of this (like loss of warranty), but it is important to known anyway.
Yep, It did this before via WiFi, now it does it via Cell connection.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Reactions
Not sure if anyone mentioned this. When you turn on Intelligent Cruise Control, if you press Resume rather than set, the speed is automatically set to maintain the actual speed limit +/- your preferred tolerance. Love this!
That's cool! can't wait to try it out.

Reactions
PICTURE #3: HARD TOP (FLIPPED OVER) WITH SIDE LIDS FLAT (& NETTING)
View attachment 702

It's nice that the EXPLORER image is on the handle to show it does work both ways!
That net can also be attached horizontally and it acts as a cover/shade over anything behind the third row when the seats are up. The two additional hooks for that are right behind the tops of the seats. Explains why the net is on the small side since it's multi-functional.

If you want to get a decent net to lay flat that attaches to all the rings, one from the Escape works perfectly and is only about $20. 20200505_175753.jpg

OP
KegsBdry

KegsBdry

Reactions
Thread Starter #30
That net can also be attached horizontally and it acts as a cover/shade over anything behind the third row when the seats are up. The two additional hooks for that are right behind the tops of the seats. Explains why the net is on the small side since it's multi-functional.

If you want to get a decent net to lay flat that attaches to all the rings, one from the Escape works perfectly and is only about $20. View attachment 711
Got that link to the $20 net?

zdubyadubya

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 ST
Best one I've noticed is that when following another car, the little icon in the dash is a generic sedan when in normal mode, a mustang when in sport mode, and an F-150 when in tow mode.

iBobFX4

Reactions
The trunk's under-storage lid (& side covers) are reversible (hard top / soft top). Plus, the side lids can be made to be vertical in the slots (to make to cubby compartments.
Thank you! I didn't know either of these...

Reactions
I had all the police package parts in my '14 and removed that third row. Just as an FYI, the '20-up models also have a similar X-brace that bolts in for structural integrity and crash ratings once you remove those seats. It's something you really don't want to be without.

Here's a '20 PIU in for some conversion work showing the brace:

2020 PIU brace.jpg

2020 PIU brace2.jpg

How it looked in my '14 with the entire kit:

2014 PIU brace.jpg

2014 PIU kit.jpg

A better view of just the brace with no trim panels:

PIU brace.JPG

Got that link to the $20 net?
I just searched for an Escape cargo net, think I got it off eBay. The Ford p/n is VDJ5Z-78550A66-A.

Last edited:
Reactions
O
I had all the police package parts in my '14 and removed that third row. Just as an FYI, the '20-up models also have a similar X-brace that bolts in for structural integrity and crash ratings once you remove those seats. It's something you really don't want to be without.

View attachment 718

View attachment 720

View attachment 719

View attachment 721

View attachment 722

I just searched for an Escape cargo net, think I got it off eBay. The Ford p/n is VDJ5Z-78550A66-A.
I Would add brace if I could find where to get.
Would also really like the wire splice cap they are using to bypass the seat belt monitor for that 3rd row. I have to turn off fault notification each time. Pia!

Reactions
O

I Would add brace if I could find where to get.
Would also really like the wire splice cap they are using to bypass the seat belt monitor for that 3rd row. I have to turn off fault notification each time. Pia!
All the parts are OE Ford - right from the PIU.

OP
KegsBdry

KegsBdry

Reactions
Thread Starter #37

View attachment 718

View attachment 720

View attachment 719

View attachment 721

View attachment 722

Thank you for the information. Found it on eBay, just like you said. Screenshot_20200516-085840__01.jpg

Reactions
The police 2020 Explorer goes 2 MPH faster than you can. Heh..heh.. My son-in-law, a police officer, is anxious for their first one to arrive. We have a $50 bet that I'll beat him because his will be heavier when outfitted...we'll see.....

PJ
And, compared to the ST, sucks in more ways than I can count ............. Jus say'n.

Reactions

View attachment 718

View attachment 720
Notice the high output LED light bar in the first picture ? That is a custom design developed for the installers. The ends clamp to the upper part of the door frame. People would be amazed at the amount of specialized wiring that goes into a PIU or, any other LEA vehicle. These pictures are the inside of a new FT Worth, TX PIU. At last count, there are 20 in various stages of electronics and other exterior modifications at the skunk works. The units for the US Marshals and the Secret Service are a work of art.

Reactions
And, compared to the ST, sucks in more ways than I can count ............. Jus say'n.
ive read the 2020 interceptor model is going to have 1 extra horse, but over 200 extra torques since its a hybird model. so their 0-60 is going to significantly quicker.