Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

My tailgate is possessed. I need a priest.

Reactions
well, i plugged it back in until i figure it out how to properly seal that connector
there are 3 connectors and 2 of them are single wire. I suspect that motion sensor is two wire part and one of these is positive and one negative
they are German connectors male part#42811300-PT and female part#2-1703498-1-PT if anyone knows where to get these here in US let me know

Attachments

OP
Blackssr

Blackssr

Reactions
Thread Starter #42
I just disconnected that connector, but here i my thoughts
1, after it stays disconnected both male and female plug stays exposed to dirt! not good, are there any solutions to seal these?
2, there are actually 2 single wire connectors. Not sure what is the one further away from bumper for

I think i will plug it in for now until i figure something to keep it sealed
I couldn't care less what happens to the plug. Mine was so erratic it was going to cause damage to my garage or the tailgate or both. That entire feature is useless and I don't know anyone that really uses it you can just hit the button and call it a day.

OP
Blackssr

Blackssr

Reactions
Thread Starter #43
I just disconnected that connector, but here i my thoughts
1, after it stays disconnected both male and female plug stays exposed to dirt! not good, are there any solutions to seal these?
2, there are actually 2 single wire connectors. Not sure what is the one further away from bumper for

I think i will plug it in for now until i figure something to keep it sealed
That's a beautiful picture.... kudos... Thank you for posting it I'm sure it'll help others that want to disconnect that useless feature. I'm not sure who it was designed for but it doesn't belong on the ST.
I look like I'm having a seizure trying to get the thing to open in the Home Depot parking lot. Mine never worked and I jettison stuff that gives me grief.

Last edited:
Reactions
That's a beautiful picture.... kudos... Thank you for posting it I'm sure it'll help others that want to disconnect that useless feature. I'm not sure who it was designed for but it doesn't belong on the ST.
I look like I'm having a seizure trying to get the thing to open in the Home Depot parking lot. Mine never worked and I jettisoned stuff that gives me grief.
Yeah it really sucks when mounting bike rack

Reactions
well, i plugged it back in until i figure it out how to properly seal that connector
there are 3 connectors and 2 of them are single wire. I suspect that motion sensor is two wire part and one of these is positive and one negative
they are German connectors male part#42811300-PT and female part#2-1703498-1-PT if anyone knows where to get these here in US let me know
Cillik-had a question. The first post that had a picture you circled the plug in red with that the part number ended in 200, yet the next post you had the plug part number ending in 300. In the second post you have a great picture of all three plugs. Can you circle which one to remove? And also the orientation of the picture? Meaning i was not sure where exactly the back of the car was. (Candidly it is late and i have not been outside tonight to feel around, thus sorry for the confusion. It might be obvious if i got off my lazy but and looked)

thanks, Steve

Reactions
Cillik-had a question. The first post that had a picture you circled the plug in red with that the part number ended in 200, yet the next post you had the plug part number ending in 300. In the second post you have a great picture of all three plugs. Can you circle which one to remove? And also the orientation of the picture? Meaning i was not sure where exactly the back of the car was. (Candidly it is late and i have not been outside tonight to feel around, thus sorry for the confusion. It might be obvious if i got off my lazy but and looked)

thanks, Steve
I disconnected one to the right of the main connector. That one is towards the bumper

Reactions
My tailgate is definitely possessed by an evil spirit. My garage is extremely tight and I manage to make enough room to allow the tailgate to be opened fully with the SUV parked and garage door closed. At least once or twice a day just walking by the SUV triggers the motion swipe feature that opens the tailgate. It is getting annoying. Does anyone know how to disable the feature completely? I found the switch disable in the touch panel options but none is available to disable the motion swipe. Any experts please chime in.
I I don’t know how to disable it traditionally, but......I have a Go Rhino bumper step in my trailer hitch. It sits out on the furthest bar… On my 20 ST, because of that step, the motions swipe feature does not activate. It also did not activate 36C446AD-FFFB-45B2-9669-CCD3F1DC3328.jpeg on my 2018 Platinum when I had the GoRhino hitch step installed on that vehicle as well.

ST Dad

U.S. Army Veteran
Reactions
So now a new malfunction: On several occasions when I touch the exterior rear driver side door handle to open or lock the doors the tailgate opens. This just happened when I parked and opened the rear door. It happened a few weeks ago when the car was covered with snow and ice so I thought that was maybe the cause. Today it is sunny and 72 degrees and the car is clean and dry. Anyone else experience this? I thought maybe the keyfob button in my pocket may have been pressed by my wallet right next to it.
I am having this issue as well and did not have the key fob anywhere on my person, took it to the dealer to have it checked out but haven't heard anything back yet. Hopefully they can get this issue resolved.

Reactions
About a week ago my tailgate decided to close without warning, with me under it.

Reactions
What about just locking the vehicle when you leave it in your garage? The tailgate motion sensor is disabled when the vehicle is locked.

Reactions
What about just locking the vehicle when you leave it in your garage? The tailgate motion sensor is disabled when the vehicle is locked.
Don’t think that’s the case. Not positive, but the whole point of the motion sensing tailgate is for you to be able to walk up with arms full of groceries and other such shit and open the tailgate without ever having to use your hands. The keyfob just needs to be in proximity for the car to let you unlock/open doors/etc so I would expect the tailgate to be the same way. Again…not totally sure, and I semi-permanently disabled mine so I can’t test it, but I suspect locked doors does not disable the motion detection.

Someone feel free to correct me if I’m wrong.

p.s. I did do a writeup with pictures on how to semi-permanently disable the tailgate motion feature in a separate thread, for anyone interested.

Reactions
Don’t think that’s the case. Not positive, but the whole point of the motion sensing tailgate is for you to be able to walk up with arms full of groceries and other such shit and open the tailgate without ever having to use your hands. The keyfob just needs to be in proximity for the car to let you unlock/open doors/etc so I would expect the tailgate to be the same way. Again…not totally sure, and I semi-permanently disabled mine so I can’t test it, but I suspect locked doors does not disable the motion detection.

Someone feel free to correct me if I’m wrong.

p.s. I did do a writeup with pictures on how to semi-permanently disable the tailgate motion feature in a separate thread, for anyone interested.
I gotcha bro, the short coming seems to be the motion sensor doesn’t have the proximity technology for the grocery shopping scenarios. I bet it wasn’t included in the functional spec document during development. Just the doors that have locking mechanisms. For the tailgate to open with the motion, the vehicle is required to be unlocked.

I have only had mine about 3 weeks but haven’t experienced any phantom issues with the tailgate. I do keep my ST locked in my garage because of this thread though lol

Only issue I have ran into is a squeaky 2nd row driver’s side seat. Bout to fix that though…got it isolated, thanks forum search!!!
I’m at ~1300 miles and been hammering it since ~750 miles. Just checked the oil and it’s rock solid…what a ride!! Oil change this weekend woot!!

Reactions
So now a new malfunction: On several occasions when I touch the exterior rear driver side door handle to open or lock the doors the tailgate opens. This just happened when I parked and opened the rear door. It happened a few weeks ago when the car was covered with snow and ice so I thought that was maybe the cause. Today it is sunny and 72 degrees and the car is clean and dry. Anyone else experience this? I thought maybe the keyfob button in my pocket may have been pressed by my wallet right next to it.
YES! This keeps happening to me on my 2021 ST. Randomly when I open the rear driver door the liftgate opens/closes (if already open). Its super frustrating and concerning. The shop foreman at my dealer has been in contact with Ford regarding this issue. You and I aren't the only ones either. Another customer was complaining about it too while I was there. I have several videos proving this happening from my security camera. The ST is going in this week for some other things and they will be troubleshooting some more. He says its nothing to do with the foot sensors.

Reactions
Same problem here on the 2020 ST. The liftgate opens by itself when walking by a foot away from the back or when I press the lock button in the rear passenger door. Software has been updates twice and it still happens. Ford has no clue how the fix this yet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GTB1

Reactions
I don't mind the foot activation but while adding a cargo net to the back the darn hatch was trying to close on my head. It doesn't take very much to activate the sensor.
this happened to me yesterday. Then it would go up and down randomly until I locked it and shut vehicle off. Eventually got stuck open and I had to force closed manually. I have a trailer hitch connector I’ll remove to see if that helps. see if that works.

While I was doing this I noticed the rear passenger side quarter panel was popped out. Probably unrelated but I pushed it back in. Really starting to worry about quality control.

hbalek

Reactions
this happened to me yesterday. Then it would go up and down randomly until I locked it and shut vehicle off. Eventually got stuck open and I had to force closed manually. I have a trailer hitch connector I’ll remove to see if that helps. see if that works.

While I was doing this I noticed the rear passenger side quarter panel was popped out. Probably unrelated but I pushed it back in. Really starting to worry about quality control.
Welcome to the Worrier's Club! I just had my 2 year anniversary with the ST this past weekend. I still love it but long-term reliability and durability worry me!

F=MA

Reactions
Mine will open while I am pressure washing the rear passenger quadrant. Maybe water sprayed below the exhaust and set it off. Happened three or four different times over several months. Maybe the water is too hard :LOL:.

Reactions
Just not worth the hassle for hands free option. Never missed it once since I disabled it.

GTchick

Reactions
Yes, often. No rhyme or reason. Did you ever find a fix? Mine's at the dealer today to look again and do some recalls.

GTchick

Reactions
Just keep the the key fob in the vehicle. Problem solved. BTW I owned two 2017 Explorers and swinging my foot under the bumper only worked on one of them. I decided with my ST to keep keys in vehicle and I would stop looking silly.
Sorry if this is a stupid question, but how do you just keep the fob in the vehicle? I try that and it won't let me lock the doors unless I have the other fob with me, which I usually don't.