Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

My tailgate is possessed. I need a priest.

Blackssr

Reactions
My tailgate is definitely possessed by an evil spirit. My garage is extremely tight and I manage to make enough room to allow the tailgate to be opened fully with the SUV parked and garage door closed. At least once or twice a day just walking by the SUV triggers the motion swipe feature that opens the tailgate. It is getting annoying. Does anyone know how to disable the feature completely? I found the switch disable in the touch panel options but none is available to disable the motion swipe. Any experts please chime in.

CapTom

U.S. Army Veteran
Firefighter/EMT
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
I'm far from an expert, but try locating the sensor (near where you kick your foot to open it) and unplug the wiring harness. Tape the ends in case you want to re-attach it in the future.

Reactions
I read that it is possible to unplug the wire loop that makes up the antenna for the foot swipe feature, I just haven’t got underneath to investigate it. The info I read was for the previous gen Explorer, so things may have changed.

OP
Blackssr

Blackssr

Reactions
Thread Starter #4
I read that it is possible to unplug the wire loop that makes up the antenna for the foot swipe feature, I just haven’t got underneath to investigate it. The info I read was for the previous gen Explorer, so things may have changed.
Would you possibly have a link for that? If I wouldn't have rearranged my Gladiator cabinets that are on a tongue and groove I would have damaged the tailgate by now. when I bring it in for an oil change I'm going to ask the service manager if he's got a solution to disconnect it. I can live with just the button. I don't use the tailgate that much. We don't even go grocery shopping that often to open the tailgate. The wife and I eat out almost every meal except breakfast.

hbalek

Reactions
Mine used to do this a lot but it is very intermittent. It may be my imagination but when it's super clean it is more sensitive. When it gets dirty and needs a wash, the sensor gets triggered less when I walk by. Could be a total coincidence. Also, my headlight switch would turn on by itself about once a month. Instead of staying in the Auto position. That stopped 2 months ago too. No idea why. This vehicle is prone to many intermittent gremlins and demons. This is well-documented. The driver's seat also has intermittent problems like memory loss for the saved positions and also a clicking noise which gets better and worse over time and sometimes goes away completely, I have not had any of these issues addressed by the dealer because they are so intermittent.

Last edited:
Reactions
Would you possibly have a link for that? If I wouldn't have rearranged my Gladiator cabinets that are on a tongue and groove I would have damaged the tailgate by now. when I bring it in for an oil change I'm going to ask the service manager if he's got a solution to disconnect it. I can live with just the button. I don't use the tailgate that much. We don't even go grocery shopping that often to open the tailgate. The wife and I eat out almost every meal except breakfast.
Ok so this is what I found a while ago:

And also this diagram, but it’s for a Ford Kuga which I think is the European equivalent of an Escape. In theory the principle should be the same, and the Youtube video link is slightly more helpful although it’s a generation old. On cursory inspection I haven’t found the same module on the new generation yet but I have not looked extensively either. In that diagram, I believe point # 3 would be the main target. Its exact location on OUR model, though, is not yet known to me.

Attachments

OP
Blackssr

Blackssr

Reactions
Thread Starter #7
Ok so this is what I found a while ago:

And also this diagram, but it’s for a Ford Kuga which I think is the European equivalent of an Escape. In theory the principle should be the same, and the Youtube video link is slightly more helpful although it’s a generation old. On cursory inspection I haven’t found the same module on the new generation yet but I have not looked extensively either. In that diagram, I believe point # 3 would be the main target. Its exact location on OUR model, though, is not yet known to me.
Thank you so much for the effort and time you've put in to help. I will attack this in the next day or two and report back.

Reactions
Thank you so much for the effort and time you've put in to help. I will attack this in the next day or two and report back.
I’ll be interested to hear about your results. Mine doesn’t open randomly too often but it does love to close when I’m still standing under it.

OP
Blackssr

Blackssr

Reactions
Thread Starter #9
I’ll be interested to hear about your results. Mine doesn’t open randomly too often but it does love to close when I’m still standing under it.
I tried to look under the rear this afternoon. I need to get the floor jack and lift her up to get a better look. I have identified the hitch wiring but that is about it. I may have to remove the rear facia to get a closer look.

hbalek

Reactions
I tried to look under the rear this afternoon. I need to get the floor jack and lift her up to get a better look. I have identified the hitch wiring but that is about it. I may have to remove the rear facia to get a closer look.
So now a new malfunction: On several occasions when I touch the exterior rear driver side door handle to open or lock the doors the tailgate opens. This just happened when I parked and opened the rear door. It happened a few weeks ago when the car was covered with snow and ice so I thought that was maybe the cause. Today it is sunny and 72 degrees and the car is clean and dry. Anyone else experience this? I thought maybe the keyfob button in my pocket may have been pressed by my wallet right next to it.

GearHead_1

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
Exploder
I threw this out in the other thread but wonder what might happen if you simply put a piece of tape over the gate camera?

UNBROKEN

4000 Post Club
Reactions
I threw this out in the other thread but wonder what might happen if you simply put a piece of tape over the gate camera?
It’s not camera operated...there’s a sensor under the bumper on the right side of the hitch. Just unplug it.

GearHead_1

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
Exploder
What type of sensor is it, audible, air movement, magnetic field? Would have thought it would have “seen” the foot. It is apparently called captive sensing but wondering how it works.

Last edited:

Dave G ST

U.S. Army Veteran
Reactions
Just keep the the key fob in the vehicle. Problem solved. BTW I owned two 2017 Explorers and swinging my foot under the bumper only worked on one of them. I decided with my ST to keep keys in vehicle and I would stop looking silly.

OP
Blackssr

Blackssr

Reactions
Thread Starter #15
It’s not camera operated...there’s a sensor under the bumper on the right side of the hitch. Just unplug it.
I feel like I am on an Easter Egg hunt...LOL... I see no sensor... I hope when I find it I will be like: "There you are Mr. Jingles". I truly am completely at a loss for words because I cannot find this mystery cable. LOL

OP
Blackssr

Blackssr

Reactions
Thread Starter #16
Just keep the the key fob in the vehicle. Problem solved. BTW I owned two 2017 Explorers and swinging my foot under the bumper only worked on one of them. I decided with my ST to keep keys in vehicle and I would stop looking silly.
I leave my Boca Home for a few weeks at a time. I lock the keys to cars left there in my safe. I am not going to make it easy if someone breaks in when I am out of town.

Reactions
What type of sensor is it, audible, air movement, magnetic field? Would have thought it would have “seen” the foot. It is apparently called captive sensing but wondering how it works.
My understanding is it’s magnetic, so your foot disrupts the field as it passes by. Probably also why mine closes on my head when I’m standing under it - I’m a fat guy and have more mass to disrupt the field with lol

OP
Blackssr

Blackssr

Reactions
Thread Starter #18
My understanding is it’s magnetic, so your foot disrupts the field as it passes by. Probably also why mine closes on my head when I’m standing under it - I’m a fat guy and have more mass to disrupt the field with lol
I here ya brother.. Heavy dudes need love also. I'll buy the beer and pizza if we every meet to discuss getting in shape. hahaha! ( I am 5' 10" and 195 lbs.. I could lose a few lbs. as well). However, I have been trying to solve this on and off for two days now and several hours to no avail. Member, Unbroken chimed in but offered no photos (hint, Hint) to help guide the less gifted like himself . LOL. I couldn't find what to unplug. I must be idiot or blind as a bat at 51 years old. Natalie (wife) asked: "what have you been doing in the garage for 2 days with the Explorer? I answered: Wasting my time and pulling my hair out!.. She replied: "Just bring it the dealer.. Lets go to Universal Studios"!

Last edited:
OP
Blackssr

Blackssr

Reactions
Thread Starter #19
How does this solve the erratic behavior of the my possessed tailgate?

Reactions
How does this solve the erratic behavior of the my possessed tailgate?
I think the concept is that because the key is not in proximity to the tailgate, it won’t respond to foot kicking motions. I’m not sure if it being inside the car would override that or prevent it.