Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

MRT axle back exhaust option?

UNBROKEN

4000 Post Club
Reactions
I’ve seen a few people that have it and say they like it. I’d break it down like this though...that’s $150 worth of dual tips on eBay, $10 for hangers, $10 for clamps and $40 for a pair of mandrel bent 45’s...any exhaust shop could throw it together for a few bucks and save you a pile.

OP
Blk_Ravn_ST

Blk_Ravn_ST

Law Enforcement
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
Thread Starter #3
Totally agree. I been really thinking of the spd down pipes and thermal exhaust. Just seems like nobody is doing a 3 inch and it not sure I want to go full custom.

OP
Blk_Ravn_ST

Blk_Ravn_ST

Law Enforcement
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
Thread Starter #4
@UNBROKEN I am looking at the bc forged wheels. Might be picking you brain here soon.

EcobeaST

Reactions
I was looking at the MRT axle back too...but then went to local muffler shop and he did the same thing for $250 and I provided the tips because he didn't have black ones in stock - tips were $160 free shipping. While he was under there, we actually removed resonator and put in a 40 Series Flowmaster muffler. They did 2.5 inch from flowmaster back to tips. All total $650.00. If it is possible, it might be too aggressive and some drone at certain shift points 3 to 4 and 6 to 7....but it is totally different than the prior stock "Prius" sounding exhaust...you can definitely here it coming...lol

UNBROKEN

4000 Post Club
Reactions
I can’t fathom why you would put a chambered muffler on a turbo engine.

EcobeaST

Reactions
Yes agreed probably a mistake...any suggestions to replace it? I went with the recommendation of the shop...

UNBROKEN

4000 Post Club
Reactions
Anything with a straight through design. I prefer Magnaflow and Vibrant. No matter what with only one muffler it’s gonna be loud and drone.

EcobeaST

Reactions
Thanks, question...What would you think about Magnaflow muffler in middle with vibrant resonators on the back end

UNBROKEN

4000 Post Club
Reactions
Thanks, question...What would you think about Magnaflow muffler in middle with vibrant resonators on the back end
The Ultra Quiets would help at the end for sure.

Reactions
Other than a custom X- or H-pipe to replace the resonator, MRT’s mid-pipe is a great choice for those of us wanting just a little change in sound without all the rasp of the aftermarket kits. Ordered one and picking it up next week when I’m in SE MI. Priced nicely as well:

https://www.shopmrt.com/2020-Ford-Explorer-ST-MRT-HiFlow-H-Pipe-p/90r227.htm

498752E1-5D25-474A-A275-9D5E408EBB05.jpeg

Zim

Reactions
I’m considering MRT. Just less hassle to have it shipped to my door than going to some muffler shop that’ll probably find a way to screw something up lol. I found a video on Facebook and it sounds really good and half the price of a full catback. Plus their customer service is A1.

ARC

Law Enforcement
Reactions
Vehicle
2022 ST Black
Other than a custom X- or H-pipe to replace the resonator, MRT’s mid-pipe is a great choice for those of us wanting just a little change in sound without all the rasp of the aftermarket kits. Ordered one and picking it up next week when I’m in SE MI. Priced nicely as well:

https://www.shopmrt.com/2020-Ford-Explorer-ST-MRT-HiFlow-H-Pipe-p/90r22

https://www.shopmrt.com/2020-Ford-Explorer-ST-MRT-HiFlow-H-Pipe-p/90r227.htm

View attachment 5039
Did you install it yet, if so did you keep stock mufflers?
Mine came in but I havent decided what to do with it yet.

Reactions
Have had it in for several months. Very high quality and maybe a 10% bump in sound level with stock mufflers. Adding the Gibson axle-back to mine shortly. Will see if it is too loud or not, so I may put the resonator back in.

FFDCB3D4-71B2-41B7-A639-FF9229AF00C6.jpeg