Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

MPVI3 and TDN issue

Reactions
Vehicle
21 Explorer ST HPP
Hi all,

I recently decided to spend the money and convert from LMS to ZFG for tuning. I bought the MPVI3, since the RTD is no longer offered for the ST on ZFG's website, and 4 tuning credits. I have not been able to get my stock tune to send through TDN. It seems to do everything else fine. I can install updates, login, read my stock tune, datalog, etc. It's just when it comes to sending a tune or datalog to the server that it always fails. It says to make sure I have a good internet connection but I have tried 4 different networks (Home wifi, Work WiFi, T-Mobile 5G, Explorer Hotspot) and also tried it on my S22 Ultra as well as my iPhone 13 work phone. I have been able to write the baseline calibration through VCM Suite with my laptop but I would really like to use TDN and not have to have a laptop on me to datalog and change tunes if I'm on a road trip and can't find E85. I've been going back and forth with HP Tuners support for about 4 weeks and still haven't found the issue. Just wondering if anyone else is using the new device and having issues sending files to their server.

Reactions
The rtd is absolutely still offered on our website? It has to be sold with a tune per the hp tuners terms and conditions.

Sent from my SM-S908U1 using Tapatalk

Reactions
Hi all,

I recently decided to spend the money and convert from LMS to ZFG for tuning. I bought the MPVI3, since the RTD is no longer offered for the ST on ZFG's website, and 4 tuning credits. I have not been able to get my stock tune to send through TDN. It seems to do everything else fine. I can install updates, login, read my stock tune, datalog, etc. It's just when it comes to sending a tune or datalog to the server that it always fails. It says to make sure I have a good internet connection but I have tried 4 different networks (Home wifi, Work WiFi, T-Mobile 5G, Explorer Hotspot) and also tried it on my S22 Ultra as well as my iPhone 13 work phone. I have been able to write the baseline calibration through VCM Suite with my laptop but I would really like to use TDN and not have to have a laptop on me to datalog and change tunes if I'm on a road trip and can't find E85. I've been going back and forth with HP Tuners support for about 4 weeks and still haven't found the issue. Just wondering if anyone else is using the new device and having issues sending files to their server.
As far as the tdn issue hp tuners is working on it. They are trying to get the app updated and firmware fixed. Unfortunately it's totally out of my control.

For now you can always use the laptop method, and read the tune that way. Details at Www.tunedbyzfgracing.com/hp-tuners in the tuning guide.

Reactions
Hi all,

Got the same exact issue with the RTD. Communicates fine with the iPhone but from the phone to the TDN I can't get them to sync. Get the same message. Granted my internet sucks where I am so my solution is data loge on the weekend and sync on Monday at the office. Works perfectly. Secondly if you previously had a HP Tuner on your phone you may need to "forget it" and select the new one. You should see the instructions on the HP website.

OP
21booSTedExplorer
Reactions
Vehicle
21 Explorer ST HPP
Thread Starter #5
The rtd is absolutely still offered on our website? It has to be sold with a tune per the hp tuners terms and conditions.

I apologize, I didn't look under the custom tune listing, I just only saw the MPVI3 on the main list page and assumed it wasn't offered anymore. That was my mistake.
As far as the tdn issue hp tuners is working on it. They are trying to get the app updated and firmware fixed. Unfortunately it's totally out of my control.

For now you can always use the laptop method, and read the tune that way. Details at Www.tunedbyzfgracing.com/hp-tuners in the tuning guide.

I completely understand it's nothing on your end. Just was curious how many others are having issues since they keep going back to blaming my internet connection. I'm more than willing to help them figure it out and I have told them I will do and record the process of whatever they need and provide infologs to work through it.
Got the same exact issue with the RTD. Communicates fine with the iPhone but from the phone to the TDN I can't get them to sync. Get the same message. Granted my internet sucks where I am so my solution is data loge on the weekend and sync on Monday at the office. Works perfectly. Secondly if you previously had a HP Tuner on your phone you may need to "forget it" and select the new one. You should see the instructions on the HP website.
This is my first HP Tuners device so no chance of it remembering an old device on either phone. I've ran network tests and have anywhere from 10Mbps to over 600Mbps download and 2Mbps to 18Mbps upload speeds between different networks and locations with 35-200ms ping speeds and 0% packet loss and it still fails to send both tune files and datalog files. I've also tried plugging it into my computer to power it up right next to my home router and send it that way and it still fails. Hopefully they find a solution soon but I am grateful I can at least use the laptop in the mean time and Adam can make progress on tuning.

MN Guy

Reactions
Vehicle
2021 Explorer ST
Hello All! Do we know if HP is still experiencing this issue? My iphone is connected to the tuner via BlueTooth, however each attempt to "activate/sync with server" results in "Sync Failed."

OP
21booSTedExplorer
Reactions
Vehicle
21 Explorer ST HPP
Thread Starter #7
Hello All! Do we know if HP is still experiencing this issue? My iphone is connected to the tuner via BlueTooth, however each attempt to "activate/sync with server" results in "Sync Failed."
I am still having an issue with the app. I was able to send through my laptop and VCM in the mean time. I did get an email from HP support a few days ago to try and update the firmware on the MPVI3 through the laptop on VCM but unfortunately the ST is going to be with the Ford dealer for the next month until they can look at my coolant leak onto the passenger side downpipe. Looks like a heater hose behind the heat shield but we will see what they say. Until then I will not be able to try the latest firmware.

MN Guy

Reactions
Vehicle
2021 Explorer ST
Bummer on your issues. I'm an IOS only guy so the laptop option isn't really an option for me. I did the whole windows parrallel thing when tuning my WRX and that just adds another layer of uncertainty to things I'll avoid this time around.

knghts50

U.S. Army Veteran
Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Ford Explorer ST
Bummer on your issues. I'm an IOS only guy so the laptop option isn't really an option for me. I did the whole windows parrallel thing when tuning my WRX and that just adds another layer of uncertainty to things I'll avoid this time around.
Still issue is present on ios and I tried android also and the issue is similar but will not upload to tdn at all.

Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Explorer st
Hey guys, trying to revive a dead thread.

I recently bought a tune and same thing, it downloads to the app no problem but when trying to sync it to the TDN it says "failed". Any update from your end?

knghts50

U.S. Army Veteran
Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Ford Explorer ST

I recently bought a tune and same thing, it downloads to the app no problem but when trying to sync it to the TDN it says "failed". Any update from your end?
Yea so I reached out to HP Tuners they white listed my MPVI3 for a new testing firmware update. I had to then force an update through VCM and not further issues since and while I was doing that Adam sent me tunes to use on VCM until HP Tuners was able to get me squared away and he moved them to tdn once my issue was fixed. Luckily for you he is on vacation until the 7th.

Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Explorer st
Yea so I reached out to HP Tuners they white listed my MPVI3 for a new testing firmware update. I had to then force an update through VCM and not further issues since and while I was doing that Adam sent me tunes to use on VCM until HP Tuners was able to get me squared away and he moved them to tdn once my issue was fixed. Luckily for you he is on vacation until the 7th.

Yeah I saw, I'd like to keep the TDN option so I can switch with relative ease between the stock and zfg tunes. Did you send hp tuners an email or did you call them??

knghts50

U.S. Army Veteran
Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Ford Explorer ST
Email. It was super easy to move to tdn, once hptuners whitelisted there is a form on zfg to move to tdn and he literally adds everything to it including the stock file. I have to say his tunes are very nice. I have a performance and daily driver one

Reactions

Anybody know if a fix is pending with HP Tuners? Just curious before I have to go out and buy a cheap windows laptop; I was hopeful to use iOS for reading/loading the tune.

My phone seems to connect with the RTD fine via bluetooth, but am getting the same "Sync Failed!" message when trying to set up/sync. I tried updating the firmware through the app but no luck.

knghts50

U.S. Army Veteran
Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Ford Explorer ST
Anybody know if a fix is pending with HP Tuners? Just curious before I have to go out and buy a cheap windows laptop; I was hopeful to use iOS for reading/loading the tune.

My phone seems to connect with the RTD fine via bluetooth, but am getting the same "Sync Failed!" message when trying to set up/sync. I tried updating the firmware through the app but no luck.

Email hp tuners ask them to whitelist your device and then force an update through the software on windows computers.

OP
21booSTedExplorer
Reactions
Vehicle
21 Explorer ST HPP
Thread Starter #16

I finally got mine working a week ago. I had to update the device through VCM suite by plugging it into a laptop to force an update the app didn't initiate at the time.

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
I was having the same issues with uploads and syncs failing. For me, anyway, I find that if I hold the phone (S22U) right up to / touching the RTD is seems to work much better; YMMV

OP
21booSTedExplorer
Reactions
Vehicle
21 Explorer ST HPP
Thread Starter #18
I was having the same issues with uploads and syncs failing. For me, anyway, I find that if I hold the phone (S22U) right up to / touching the RTD is seems to work much better; YMMV
It may also be worth clarifying I'm using an MPVI3 so the measures to get it to work may be different but I am also using an S22 Ultra and never tried holding it that close to the device.

Reactions
Looks like my issue was solved by an iOS update.

,After updating my phone, I was able to compete the initial setup of my RTD, read the stock calibration, and submit it to ZFG. (y)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

natedanp

Reactions
Vehicle
15 Mustang pp1 manual
Looks like my issue was solved by an iOS update.

,After updating my phone, I was able to compete the initial setup of my RTD, read the stock calibration, and submit it to ZFG. (y)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I made this account just to say thank you for posting this. Saved my ass anymore of a headache than this device already caused me. All i had to do was update my damn phone