Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

MPG in Sport, ECO and Normal Modes

ezridermn

Reactions
Does anyone know if driving on the highway in Sport Mode at a constant 70 mph decreases MPG compared to ECO or Normal mode?

OHST

Reactions
Does anyone know if driving on the highway in Sport Mode at a constant 70 mph decreases MPG compared to ECO or Normal mode?
As far as I can tell only the shift points are different, at a constant speed I see the RPM levels are the same.

Reactions
I don’t believe that it will shift past 8th gear in Sport mode. Your cruising RPM’s will be higher therefore less MPG. At least that’s what I’ve seen at freeway speeds. Maybe it will shift up at higher speeds.

Reactions
From what I've read Sport mode tweaks include: sharper throttle response, weightier steering, and less restrictive stability control. But on the way to work this morning I shifted to Sports mode at 70mph and you can see the RPM jump with more engine noise. The only problem I'm not sure what gear in goes into since it's not displayed anywhere. I would think MPG would drop in Sport mode.

Reactions
If you tap the + paddle shifter, it’ll show you what gear your in. When you paddle shift to go to a higher gear in any of the modes, the next gear up will blink if you’re not going fast enough for that next gear. So if 8 blinks, you know you’re in 7th. Or you can just press “M” for Manual mode and it’ll show you what gear you’re in too.

Reactions
I just did a 100 mile highway round trip. The first 50 in ECO mode and the return in SPORT. According to the trip gauge I got 26.9 in ECO and 25.5 in SPORT. SPORT was a lot more fun.