Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

MPG in Sport, ECO and Normal Modes

ezridermn

Reactions
Does anyone know if driving on the highway in Sport Mode at a constant 70 mph decreases MPG compared to ECO or Normal mode?

OHST

Reactions
Does anyone know if driving on the highway in Sport Mode at a constant 70 mph decreases MPG compared to ECO or Normal mode?
As far as I can tell only the shift points are different, at a constant speed I see the RPM levels are the same.

Reactions
I don’t believe that it will shift past 8th gear in Sport mode. Your cruising RPM’s will be higher therefore less MPG. At least that’s what I’ve seen at freeway speeds. Maybe it will shift up at higher speeds.

Reactions
From what I've read Sport mode tweaks include: sharper throttle response, weightier steering, and less restrictive stability control. But on the way to work this morning I shifted to Sports mode at 70mph and you can see the RPM jump with more engine noise. The only problem I'm not sure what gear in goes into since it's not displayed anywhere. I would think MPG would drop in Sport mode.

Reactions
If you tap the + paddle shifter, it’ll show you what gear your in. When you paddle shift to go to a higher gear in any of the modes, the next gear up will blink if you’re not going fast enough for that next gear. So if 8 blinks, you know you’re in 7th. Or you can just press “M” for Manual mode and it’ll show you what gear you’re in too.

CapTom

U.S. Army Veteran
Firefighter/EMT
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
I just did a 100 mile highway round trip. The first 50 in ECO mode and the return in SPORT. According to the trip gauge I got 26.9 in ECO and 25.5 in SPORT. SPORT was a lot more fun.

Blackssr

Reactions
From what I've read Sport mode tweaks include: sharper throttle response, weightier steering, and less restrictive stability control. But on the way to work this morning I shifted to Sports mode at 70mph and you can see the RPM jump with more engine noise. The only problem I'm not sure what gear in goes into since it's not displayed anywhere. I would think MPG would drop in Sport mode.
From what I understand Sport Mode does not have OverDrive. Only gears one through eight.

UNBROKEN

4000 Post Club
Reactions
From what I understand Sport Mode does not have OverDrive. Only gears one through eight.
Mine will go through all 10 gears in Sport mode...it’s basically the only mode I drive in.

Cdubya

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
In city driving, I can get one or two more gears available in normal mode but seem to be limited to 6 in Sport. But at highway speeds, all 10.

Last edited:

Symetry

U.S. Army Veteran
Reactions
Mine will go through all 10 gears in Sport mode...it’s basically the only mode I drive in.
Is it your tune that gets you 10th gear in Sport mode or will it go there in all modes without the tune?

Jim

Blackssr

Reactions
Hmmmmmm.. I thought I read that overdrive is disabled in sport mode. Is there a way to see what gear you're in while driving in sport mode?
Did you find a way to make it boot directly into sport mode by the way?

Blackssr

Reactions
Is it your tune that gets you 10th gear in Sport mode or will it go there in all modes without the tune?

Jim
I'm curious as well. Palm Beach Dyno is supposed to get back to me on exactly this question.

UNBROKEN

4000 Post Club
Reactions
Hmmmmmm.. I thought I read that overdrive is disabled in sport mode. Is there a way to see what gear you're in while driving in sport mode?
Did you find a way to make it boot directly into sport mode by the way?
It could be the tune...I don’t remember what if it did anything different before then. I have the gear showing at all times in the tune and no, there’s no way to default to Sport mode. I wish there was.

Symetry

U.S. Army Veteran
Reactions
I don't have a tune yet,
I'll be getting on the interstate next Tuesday , I'll put it in Sport mode, and manual mode and see if it says 10th gear.

Jim

UNBROKEN

4000 Post Club
Reactions
I don't have a tune yet,
I'll be getting on the interstate next Tuesday , I'll put it in Sport mode, and manual mode and see if it says 10th gear.

Jim
All you have to do is hit the paddles. It’ll show the gear for a few seconds.

Reactions
No tunes here and was at 10th gear in sport mode, I'd post the pic my wife took but it's not very good

PostmanRP

Reactions
I’m stock and tested sport mode today. Over 60mph and cruising it will go into 10th gear. Saw the rpms go under 2k so hit the paddle to see and 10 popped up

Blackssr

Reactions
I don’t believe that it will shift past 8th gear in Sport mode. Your cruising RPM’s will be higher therefore less MPG. At least that’s what I’ve seen at freeway speeds. Maybe it will shift up at higher speeds.
I confirmed 10 gear last night @ 70 mph and 1800 rpm while in Sport Mode.