Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

Motorcycle hitch carrier

jameszi

Reactions
Vehicle
2021 Explorer st
Hey All,
Have a 21 ST with a ZFG DMS tune. I’m looking into a motorcycle hitch carrier to bring my bike to the track. Has anyone ran a similar setup? The options would between a hitch carrier like this one https://www.harborfreight.com/600-l...9-iRvPxhnOzd3Vn523yFN7VXdII-gujRoCcaYQAvD_BwE or something along the lines of a regular utility trailer (takes up a lot of space).

my only concern with the hitch carrier would be the tongue weight is rated for 560. The bikes wet weight is around 430 lbs and hitch carrier around 92lbs.

Cruising68

1000 Post Club
Reactions
You can haul it, but your Explorer will likely sag a bit, maybe quite a bit. Used to haul bikes on a similar apparatus but on full sized SUV’s. Having the weight of everything a good foot or two behind the receiver adds quite a bit of torque compared to hauling a trailer of similar weight. May even overload the tongue weight spec.

Maybe Tmac can provide some math to confirm or not

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Ford F-150 Raptor
Hey All,
Have a 21 ST with a ZFG DMS tune. I’m looking into a motorcycle hitch carrier to bring my bike to the track. Has anyone ran a similar setup? The options would between a hitch carrier like this one https://www.harborfreight.com/600-l...9-iRvPxhnOzd3Vn523yFN7VXdII-gujRoCcaYQAvD_BwE or something along the lines of a regular utility trailer (takes up a lot of space).

my only concern with the hitch carrier would be the tongue weight is rated for 560. The bikes wet weight is around 430 lbs and hitch carrier around 92lbs.
As long as your under that you should be fine.