Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

Mirror tap for Radar detector

Reactions
How exactly do you remove the cover behind the mirror to tap the power cables? Just yank it off? Making sure I don't break anything lol.

Reactions
How exactly do you remove the cover behind the mirror to tap the power cables? Just yank it off? Making sure I don't break anything lol.
Yes, I just did this today, it just pulls off, I'll post pictures along with which wires to tap.

Reactions
It's the harness on the passenger side, wire 1 (white) is positive and wire 3 (black) is ground.
20201009_075810.jpg

Reactions
It was much easier to pull out the mounting clip to see the connector straight on.
20201009_080653.jpg

Reactions
It came with zip ties to attach it to the existing mirror cable. I used a blendmount bracket attached to the mirror.
20201009_082136.jpg

OP
Zermus
Reactions
Thread Starter #11
Did you use the 15" mirrortap? My blendmount came with the 10" and it's a bit short and I have to have it come out the side of the cover lol.

Reactions
Did you use the 15" mirrortap? My blendmount came with the 10" and it's a bit short and I have to have it come out the side of the cover lol.
I think it was 12"

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

Reactions
so what you guys are doing is just finding an Ignition Hot wire to source power from ?

so i could use this method to wire in a Dash Cam?

Reactions
so what you guys are doing is just finding an Ignition Hot wire to source power from ?

Nope, power off the mirror.

Reactions

I maybe read that wrong, yes its hot on ignition.

Reactions
Does yours turn off in reverse? Mine does, and it is set up the same. I don't really worry about it since I don't need my detector or dash cam while backing up...

Reactions
Does yours turn off in reverse? Mine does, and it is set up the same. I don't really worry about it since I don't need my detector or dash cam while backing up...
I don't think so, but I can check.

Reactions
Mine doesn't turn off in reverse.