Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

MBRP Exhaust

Reactions
Vehicle
2022 ST
Wondering what the general feelings are of the different exhaust available for the ST. MBRP, Magnaflow, Borla...

GearHead_1

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
Exploder
Lots of good ones out there. You need to know what you want. Are you looking for loud? Looking for a larger diameter? Looking for black tips? Looking for better flex joints? Looking for 304 stainless steel. Any of these things may be a consideration.

I bought the Thermal R&D from @ron@whooshmotorsports. It's exactly everything that I wanted. ;) Actually, it was the only system that checked all of my boxes. Couldn't be more pleased. While it may not be the cheapest you can buy the Mid Pipes with a better flex joint than the ones Ford uses. You may want to look at this setup.

Last edited:
Reactions
I picked out the Corsa from Lethal Performance. At the time, I only saw the Borla and the Magnaflow. I was comparing sound clips on youtube when I thought to look up Corsa I loved the sound. Maybe I would have chosen something else if I had done more research on here But I am still very happy with my purchase. And more importantly...so is the wife and kids who are in the vehicle more than I

Reactions
I'm running aFe's exhaust and loving it. True 2.5" catback with new flex pipes like the Thermal and I believe MBRP.

Reactions
I just did the MBRP axle back with carbon tips and I couldn't be happier. I was gonna do more but with it being a daily driver I think this is all I really need. Still fairly quiet at idle/cruise, really opens up under load. I have noticed a little drone here and there at certain rpms but its not overbearing.

OP
ST PETE
Reactions
Vehicle
2022 ST
Thread Starter #6
I enjoy all the responses. I'm leaning between MBRP and aFe. Borla is a touch loud and raspy for me. Plus the costs of these two are more reasonable.

OP
ST PETE
Reactions
Vehicle
2022 ST
Thread Starter #8
I like the idea of "axle back", but wondering how restrictive the resonator is.

Reactions
I like the idea of "axle back", but wondering how restrictive the resonator is.
Not restrictive at all. Straight-through flow for both tubes. The early versions were two-into-one, but the update is two-in, two-out. It’s why an axle-back is an easy upgrade that doesn’t drain your wallet, and why Gibson’s kit is what it is.

OP
ST PETE
Reactions
Vehicle
2022 ST
Thread Starter #10
@jrgoffin-Thanks for info. Already have Gibson penciled in.

ARC

Law Enforcement
Reactions
Vehicle
2022 ST Black
I have the mbrp installer series, which is aluminum. Not a true catback as it goes from the flex pipes back. True dual 2.5in after that. The kit was 809.00 all in. Sounds great at cold start, and Idle. Can be a bit loud wide open. The tips are 304 stainless and are 4 inch. I'm happy with the kit, just wish it would have came with downpipes back

Reactions
I went with the Gibson Axle back and had it installed yesterday, it looks good and give a nice sporty tone. I did have mine welded on. The installer did have to make a few adjustments to the passenger side. The hanger bar on the muffler was a little off causing it to be off center and slightly downward. But he did a little heating with a torch and bending and was able to get everything spot on. Took them about 75 min to install and adjust.

Reactions
Any recommendations for an exhaust system that has no drone, and isn't too loud. Also looking for black tips. Is our stock system 2.25" or 2.5" pipes?

Reactions
Any recommendations for an exhaust system that has no drone, and isn't too loud. Also looking for black tips. Is our stock system 2.25" or 2.5" pipes?
its 2.25" , the Gibson will be your best bet for black tips and nice tone, with out spending $1500

Reactions
I just did the MBRP axle back with carbon tips and I couldn't be happier. I was gonna do more but with it being a daily driver I think this is all I really need. Still fairly quiet at idle/cruise, really opens up under load. I have noticed a little drone here and there at certain rpms but its not overbearing.
Just installed as well. Looks and sounds nice. Did you use the supplied clamps or upgrade them?

ARC

Law Enforcement
Reactions
Vehicle
2022 ST Black
Just installed as well. Looks and sounds nice. Did you use the supplied clamps or upgrade them?
The shop used the supplied clamps, why was there problems with them???

ARC

Law Enforcement
Reactions
Vehicle
2022 ST Black

Reactions
I saw a post with someone saying they used upgraded clamps. I did it today and used the supplied ones as well, seems pretty tight. I did have to tighten them to almost the max.

ARC

Law Enforcement
Reactions
Vehicle
2022 ST Black
I saw a post with someone saying they used upgraded clamps. I did it today and used the supplied ones as well, seems pretty tight. I did have to tighten them to almost the max.
So i have had the exhaust on for 2 months and 2k miles and no problems, we will see....

Reactions
I used the supplied ones. They seemed ok to me, no issues yet. Figure if i have problems down the road ill swap them out for some better ones.

Explorer ST Posts