Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

Lowering your Explorer ST!

Reactions
Hey All!
I have seen that a bunch of you have lowered your ST's with H&R springs. Most notably lowered 1.6" & 1.75" front and back.

Has anyone lowered there ST more than that? and if so, what method did you use?

Is the only other way to close that wheel well gap simply just installing taller wheels and tires?

I am not a fan of the tall and skinny stance look. I ordered lowering springs and wheel spacers to help with that. But im wondering if my money is better spent in another way to change that look.

Thanks in advance.

zdubyadubya

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 ST
lowering springs and wheel spacers help a ton, but yeah, you pretty much hit the nail on the head. the only true way to fill out that wheel well is new wheels. most guys are running 22x10.5 wide rims with anywhere from 30-35 offset.

OP
smithero
Reactions
Thread Starter #3
Thanks!

OP
smithero
Reactions
Thread Starter #5
@BrianCanada I ordered 1.25" BORA spacers from Motorsport-Tech.com

Why do you ask?

Reactions
I'm thinking of adding 0.75" wheel spacers but not having much luck finding a good product. Thanks for the info.

Reactions
any idea what the cost estimate to get these springs installed is?

zdubyadubya

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 ST
depends on the shop and the location. you will need an alignment afterwards as well. $400-$600 is probably a good estimate.

Reactions
my local shop quoted me $800 and I was shocked

OP
smithero
Reactions
Thread Starter #12
I got quoted $550 with alignment

Reactions
I got quoted $400 for install and $125 for alignment.

Kingcor

U.S. Marine Veteran
Reactions
lowering springs and wheel spacers help a ton, but yeah, you pretty much hit the nail on the head. the only true way to fill out that wheel well is new wheels. most guys are running 22x10.5 wide rims with anywhere from 30-35 offset.
Are most guys also running the HR or Steeda springs AND 22’s? Or once you go that big do you not need the springs?

zdubyadubya

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 ST
Most (including me) are on lowering springs AND 22s. Going bigger wheelsize doesn't lead to a bigger overall diameter of wheel/tire combo, you just have shorter sidewalls. A few guys like me have gone 305/40 which is an actually larger overall diameter but the clearance is REAL close and your custom offset measurements better be perfect. 315/35R22s are the same diameter as stock, 305/35s are slightly smaller, and 305/40s are slightly bigger.

UNBROKEN

4000 Post Club
Reactions
H&R springs with 22x10.5 +30 and 315/35’s for reference.
012ACD07-DABB-446A-AB2B-A42665D3EF0B.jpeg

Reactions
Vehicle
2021 Explorer ST Carbonized Gray
Most (including me) are on lowering springs AND 22s. Going bigger wheelsize doesn't lead to a bigger overall diameter of wheel/tire combo, you just have shorter sidewalls. A few guys like me have gone 305/40 which is an actually larger overall diameter but the clearance is REAL close and your custom offset measurements better be perfect. 315/35R22s are the same diameter as stock, 305/35s are slightly smaller, and 305/40s are slightly bigger.
Can I ask what offset are you using? And have you had any rubbing issues? I would also like to run 305/40's so any advice is welcome, thanks.

zdubyadubya

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 ST
Can I ask what offset are you using? And have you had any rubbing issues? I would also like to run 305/40's so any advice is welcome, thanks.
+30mm. No rubbing on the spring perch, but very slight rubbing on the fender well lining at full lock. The spring perch clearance is REAL close--like I can barely fit a piece of cardboard between the tire and the metal. After 5000+ miles the tire hasn't worn the felt at all that you can see, so even though it touches at full lock, it hasn't worn anything at all.

Being lowered doesn't affect clearance between the tire and the spring perch (the rotation of the hub about the knuckle dictates that). Only clearance between the tire and the fender well is affected by ride height.