Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

Lowering springs with OEM shocks

Reactions
Is anyone changing out the OEM shocks when installing lowering springs to compensate for the height difference. I am contemplating the Steeda Handling package but I have read a few articles that explains the height difference compromises the performance of the OEM shock.

TMac

1000 Post Club
Reactions
My belief is you should stick with a system. If you're looking to lower the vehicle, stick with Steeda components. I'm sure they've tested things together, rather than just putting out a larger swaybar (bigger isn't always better). For myself, I know the amount of engineering that various Mfgs put into police packages- it's an important market and those vehicles get tested extensively. For that reason, I'd roll with the PIU (police) shocks and swaybars- they use the same springs as the ST.

Of course, handling is subjective- you could "try" the steeda package with the PIU shocks. Who knows?

UNBROKEN

4000 Post Club
Reactions
There are no aftermarket shocks or struts made for lowering springs.

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 ST
I would think compressing the shocks a bit wouldn't effect their functionality.

OP
XPLRST
Reactions
Thread Starter #5
Thanks for the input, will be adding the steeda handling package within the next couple of months, I will probably get the springs and sway bar powder coated red. I like the black tower brace.

UNBROKEN

4000 Post Club
Reactions
Thanks for the input, will be adding the steeda handling package within the next couple of months, I will probably get the springs and sway bar powder coated red. I like the black tower brace.
I honestly don’t understand people paying to PC these parts a different color. You can’t see them once they’re remounted unless you’re down on the ground looking for them. Are you gonna lay under the car and wash them too? lol

OP
XPLRST
Reactions
Thread Starter #7
I honestly don’t understand people paying to PC these parts a different color. You can’t see them once they’re remounted unless you’re down on the ground looking for them. Are you gonna lay under the car and wash them too? lol
Yes with a toothbrush :), Black with red brakes and then blue springs and bar, just not me. I am not going to spend an outrageous amount of money for PC, if it is reasonable then yes.

Reactions
I'm sure it's asked elsewhere (sorry) - is H&R springs a weekend DIY project, or a take-it-to-a-shop project? I have basic tools - not a mechanic by any means.

And do I need a sway bar with the springs, or a nice-to-have?

Cruising68

1000 Post Club
Reactions
I'm sure it's asked elsewhere (sorry) - is H&R springs a weekend DIY project, or a take-it-to-a-shop project? I have basic tools - not a mechanic by any means.

And do I need a sway bar with the springs, or a nice-to-have?
Need a spring compressor for the fronts. The rears are easy. Fronts not much worse once you have a spring compressor. Autozone will likely have one available.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions
Need a spring compressor for the fronts. The rears are easy. Fronts not much worse once you have a spring compressor. Autozone will likely have one available.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
TireRack has them for $349 - look right?
1691096133490.png

Reactions
That's the right part # and price looks good. I paid $350 from lethal last year.

Reactions
Worth the time/effort to do DIY install of H&R springs or take it in?

SmittysST

Law Enforcement
Reactions
Vehicle
2023 FORD Explorer ST
Same question here? Have you got them on yet?