Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

Lowering Rear only

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Ford Explorer ST
I was wondering if anyone lowered just the Rear of their ST to level it out. I am not even sure if it is possible with the lowering springs in the aftermarket. I just installed 22" wheels with 275/40/22 tires. The wheels where 22x9 and that was on only size tire installer would use that fit the wheels specs with out going 265/45/22 and the selection was limited.

I think the front is perfect but wish I could bring the rear down to level.. Don't really want to lower the front with the roads here in Philadelphia. But if I have to - Steeda springs will be ordered.

Reactions
Vehicle
2021 Explorer ST
I've read lethal's are the lowest, but many are waiting for next generation to come to market as they had an issue with fitment.
H&Rs springs lower and level.
Steeda' lower, but maintain rake.
And again, the above info is just what I've read from other users on this forum.
I have Steeda's gear still in the box. Springs, rear sway, and shock tower bar. I'm probably going to go with PIU gear moving forward if I can sell the Steeda's to someone fairly local to me.

Reactions
I was wondering if anyone lowered just the Rear of their ST to level it out. I am not even sure if it is possible with the lowering springs in the aftermarket. I just installed 22" wheels with 275/40/22 tires. The wheels where 22x9 and that was on only size tire installer would use that fit the wheels specs with out going 265/45/22 and the selection was limited.

I think the front is perfect but wish I could bring the rear down to level.. Don't really want to lower the front with the roads here in Philadelphia. But if I have to - Steeda springs will be ordered.
H&R full set will definitely level you out and look the best. I have had them with a 305/35/22 tire with no issues. In regards to clearance I think you're looking at a drop of 1.5" max so may not be worth doing at all of you're concerned about any clearance issues.

OP
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Ford Explorer ST
Thread Starter #4
Thanks, bought some lowering springs from Lethal Performance.

OP
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Ford Explorer ST
Thread Starter #6
Reactions
I didn't buy Lethal Springs, ordered H&R from them.. I should have mentioned the manufacturer I bought and not just the vendor... lol
You'll be happy with that choice. Just make sure you can find a good shop to do the alignment. Some will say they can't get it back to within factory specs but it can be done.

Reactions
Vehicle
2021 Ford Explorer ST

I don’t think anyone’s really answered your question, but I was wanting to know the same thing. I’m contemplating putting Steeda springs on just the rear to make the car more level and match up the wheel well area. I’m envisioning a much nicer stance with only approximately a 1” drop in the back. I don’t think it will look bottomed out or anything, and will actually look and feel (performance-wise) more leveled out.. I think I might give it a try. My main concern is the car’s computer systems and hope the stupid brake assist doesn’t kick on earlier than it already does because of the new and slightly different angle. I’m also wondering how hard I could actually push it safely thru a corner at a fast clip with the new dynamics. I’m not a race engineer or anything so I don’t know exactly how that new geometry is going to correlate exactly to real world performance.. but I’m seriously considering doing this. I’ll keep you posted if I do. Just wish Steeda’s springs could be available in black. They’d sell a lot more. I don’t see myself getting a good deal on a decent powder coat job near here and I don’t have the time to do it myself.

UNBROKEN

4000 Post Club
Reactions
Your car will sit low in the back with just a Steeda spring…and the color is irrelevant since you can’t see the spring unless you’re looking for it and after a few drives in the rain they’ll be black anyway.

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Ford F-150 Raptor
I don’t think anyone’s really answered your question, but I was wanting to know the same thing. I’m contemplating putting Steeda springs on just the rear to make the car more level and match up the wheel well area. I’m envisioning a much nicer stance with only approximately a 1” drop in the back. I don’t think it will look bottomed out or anything, and will actually look and feel (performance-wise) more leveled out.. I think I might give it a try. My main concern is the car’s computer systems and hope the stupid brake assist doesn’t kick on earlier than it already does because of the new and slightly different angle. I’m also wondering how hard I could actually push it safely thru a corner at a fast clip with the new dynamics. I’m not a race engineer or anything so I don’t know exactly how that new geometry is going to correlate exactly to real world performance.. but I’m seriously considering doing this. I’ll keep you posted if I do. Just wish Steeda’s springs could be available in black. They’d sell a lot more. I don’t see myself getting a good deal on a decent powder coat job near here and I don’t have the time to do it myself.
You can turn that reverse brake assist off in the touchscreen.

Reactions
Vehicle
2021 Ford Explorer ST
You can turn that reverse brake assist off in the touchscreen.
Trust me I did that within the first week I had the car immediately after it severely slammed on the brakes while I was slowly backing down my driveway and threw my dog into the back tailgate almost breaking his neck. Felt like the I hit something and felt like the rear subframe broke it was so abhorrently abrupt. I'm referring here specifically to the forward collision assist (I never said anything about reverse) which resets to "ON" every time the car is turned off and back on. Thank God the rear brake assist stays off. I would've had to get rid of the car by now. There was absolutely no need for it to be so violent, and I was nowhere near the end of my driveway yet, I saw a car driving by but was still wanting to back down to the end of my driveway before coming to a stop, I got barely halfway down my driveway, still a good 20-30ft from the car driving by on the road when it activated.

Reactions
Vehicle
2021 Ford Explorer ST
Your car will sit low in the back with just a Steeda spring…and the color is irrelevant since you can’t see the spring unless you’re looking for it and after a few drives in the rain they’ll be black anyway.
It's more like I don't want a dealer spotting the obvious aftermarket attachment due to its bright blue color when something else inevitably fails on this car and needs replacement, just in case they want to argue that its related. Secondary is the fact that I personally don't want to be able to see a blue spring, it would be tacky, which I can easily see the black factory springs as it is from beside the vehicle and Steeda only lowers about an inch. And speaking of an inch, I think the rear sits up at least an inch higher, if not more, in the back so I don't see how putting springs on just the back would make it look like its sitting low, I feel like it would appear more leveled out. I don't tend to have a packed vehicle, and the Steeda's are stiffer anyways so I don't think it would matter much. But maybe I'll do the front too, although I'm very curious about doing just the back.

On a side note.. I wonder if anybody knows the difference in ride height between the PIU and ST and if the PIU springs sit the car a tad lower or not. If so, I might be more interested in trying to acquire PIU springs if I can even find them anywhere, since I'm already planning on swapping out rear shocks with PIUs and debating on swapping out front struts too at same time with PIUs, so I'm debating adding steeda springs at same time with new shocks and struts, or if I should just keep the factory springs or acquire PIU springs..

UNBROKEN

4000 Post Club
Reactions
Measure from the axle centerline to the fender on level ground.
PIU coils are not lower.
And…there’s no definitive answer as to whether the PIU shocks and struts are firmer than the ST versions. Someone has sent a set of both to a shock dyno for factual results…not someone saying the PIU parts are firmer after replacing their 50K mile ST parts…because of course they are.

Reactions
Vehicle
2021 Ford Explorer ST
Measure from the axle centerline to the fender on level ground.
PIU coils are not lower.
And…there’s no definitive answer as to whether the PIU shocks and struts are firmer than the ST versions. Someone has sent a set of both to a shock dyno for factual results…not someone saying the PIU parts are firmer after replacing their 50K mile ST parts…because of course they are.
I did happen to see those conversations as I was digging for information since I have to do a replacement on my currently leaking rear shock and figured I’d take the opportunity to upgrade if possible. Apparently from what I’ve seen we’re still waiting on a verdict. In any case, I’d imagine the PIU shocks would be a little bit more heavy duty and hopefully last a bit longer since they won’t be seeing the abuse a police vehicle does, even if they’re not actually stiffer, so that was reason enough for me to give ‘em a try. (Love how ford/motorcraft says they do extensive testing for manufacturing a shock to last 10 years and 150,000 miles, when so many people are needing to replace theirs MUCH MUCH earlier.)