Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

Lowered yesterday!

Reactions
Just out of curiosity, could someone with an ST measure the wheel well gaps and post them for me?
Looks like 5.5" in the front and 6" in the rear (that sounds dirty)

Attachments

Reactions
did you ever get pictures on flat ground ?

OP
Barnesy
Reactions
Thread Starter #26
Looks like 5.5" in the front and 6" in the rear (that sounds dirty)
Thanks! The math doesn’t add up, though. My front is now at 2” and rear at almost 3.5”, which does‘t equate to a 1.6” drop in front and 2.3“ in rear. The front dropped more than it should‘ve.....I like the look and feel, but the rear should be lower.

I’m anxious to see who, if anyone, makes coil overs for it, or even bags....

Reactions
Thanks! The math doesn’t add up, though. My front is now at 2” and rear at almost 3.5”, which does‘t equate to a 1.6” drop in front and 2.3“ in rear. The front dropped more than it should‘ve.....I like the look and feel, but the rear should be lower.

I’m anxious to see who, if anyone, makes coil overs for it, or even bags....
I am in the process of researching how I could get some coilovers to fit . I need to find out which other fitment would work with minimal customizing . I was looking at possibly some f150 coilovers from H&R or something similar .

OP
Barnesy
Reactions
Thread Starter #28
Looks good !

I just wish the rear was leveled out to the front . Could you possibly measure the gap , front and back , now that it's lowered ?
Yeah, I just posted those numbers above. In the past, I’ve had springs heated in situations like this on other cars, and I may give it a try since I can always just reinstall the stock springs and wait for another option if it doesn’t work out...just need another inch lower in the back, then I’d be happy, because I do want the back a SMIDGE higher, just not as much as it is.

Reactions
Yeah, I just posted those numbers above. In the past, I’ve had springs heated in situations like this on other cars, and I may give it a try since I can always just reinstall the stock springs and wait for another option if it doesn’t work out...just need another inch lower in the back, then I’d be happy, because I do want the back a SMIDGE higher, just not as much as it is.
What about cutting the spring instead of heating ?

OP
Barnesy
Reactions
Thread Starter #30
What about cutting the spring instead of heating ?
That’s an option, but heating leaves the ends intact so there’s no issue seating them. When I was stationed in Hawaii, there was a old dude who was so good at heating springs, he could take a car down half an inch at a time with accuracy! Not sure if I can find that here in Belgium....gotta translate it all in French...

OP
Barnesy
Reactions
Thread Starter #31
That’s an option, but heating leaves the ends intact so there’s no issue seating them. When I was stationed in Hawaii, there was a old dude who was so good at heating springs, he could take a car down half an inch at a time with accuracy! Not sure if I can find that here in Belgium....gotta translate it all in French...
But, theres a speed shop that had agreed to install my exhaust (when it arrives) and tune in Antwerp that may be able to help me, we will see.

Reactions
We have a shop here in town called Dumpsville so i might go by them and see what they recommend .

Reactions
Spoke to H&R and they will have the actual springs designed for the 2020 out in a couple of weeks .

On a side note , I was doing some looking and found some BC Forged wheels that i liked . I happen to google who made the wheels for BC Forged and it happens to be themselves and they are the same company as BC Racing Coilovers . I was told that if i could gather enough interest in coilovers for the ST , they would consider making them but the demand would have to be there....obviously . I wonder how many ST owners would consider a set of $1000.00 coilovers ?

FoRSe

Reactions
Looks like Steeda also makes a set of lowering springs for the 2019 Explorer which if OEM springs are identical from 2019 to 2020 might also be used with the ST. If you scroll down into the customer reviews there's a comment about he H&R springs lowering more in the front than in the rear.

https://www.steeda.com/steeda-555-8202-explorer-lowering-springs

Last edited:
OP
Barnesy
Reactions
Thread Starter #35
Looks like Steeda also makes a set of lowering springs for the 2019 Explorer which if OEM springs are identical from 2019 to 2020 might also be used with the ST. If you scroll down into the customer reviews there's a comment about he H&R springs lowering more in the front than in the rear.

Good find! I might give these a try, just to compare. The statement in the comments about H&R being aggressive is true. The roads here in Belgium are terrible, so I’d be curious to see how much more stability the Steedas would provide. On the other hand, if H&R brings out a spring for the ST, it might suit me. Glad there are more choices on the horizon. As for coil overs, it would certainly be my first choice, but I don’t know if the interest will be there....

OP
Barnesy
Reactions
Thread Starter #36
Spoke to H&R and they will have the actual springs designed for the 2020 out in a couple of weeks .

On a side note , I was doing some looking and found some BC Forged wheels that i liked . I happen to google who made the wheels for BC Forged and it happens to be themselves and they are the same company as BC Racing Coilovers . I was told that if i could gather enough interest in coilovers for the ST , they would consider making them but the demand would have to be there....obviously . I wonder how many ST owners would consider a set of $1000.00 coilovers ?
I wonder how much interest it would need, and how long it would take them to develop a set?

Reactions
I wonder how much interest it would need, and how long it would take them to develop a set?
They said that if I could come up with a list of 10 or more people that are 100% committed to coilovers , the higher powers would consider making them . Of course , they would be more interested if there were way more than 10 .

Reactions

Steeda springs are nice but the drop is very small . If i want to pay for springs , i at least want it to look lowered .

Reactions
So i reached out to H&R yesterday and spoke to a lady that said that the springs were still months out from being finished . She said she has no idea who would have told me that they would be out in a few weeks but that it was not true . Keep in mind that i heard this from 2 different people at H&R so i don't know who to believe anymore......and now that this whole corona virus craziness is going on , i'm sure that will delay things even further .

I might just order the older model H&Rs

Reactions
Here are the OEM parts info if you need them!
Fordparts.com doesn't give you the entire part number...

the 2020 explorer st part number is LB5Z-5310-A
the 2019 Explorer Sport Part number is DB5Z-5310-K

So they are not the same, my guess is they are very similar but the spring rates are different.