Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

Lowered yesterday!

Reactions
I had new springs installed yesterday. 1.6” drop front, 2.3” rear.

Feels a lot more planted. Very little, if any, change in ride.

No tire rub, same turn radius.

Borla S-type exhaust next...hopefully they release it soon!

Attachments

Reactions
I had new springs installed yesterday. 1.6” drop front, 2.3” rear.

Feels a lot more planted. Very little, if any, change in ride.

No tire rub, same turn radius.

Borla S-type exhaust next...hopefully they release it soon!
What parts did you use?

OP
Barnesy
Reactions
Thread Starter #3
H&R Springs. As it turns out, the OEM parts number for springs on the new Explorers matches the last generation Explorer, so I just ordered them.

I’ve had good results using H&R previously on my mustang, so I was familiar with them.

Reactions
Looks great!

OP
Barnesy
Reactions
Thread Starter #6
I agree it looks like that in the photo, but it doesn’t look abnormal in person. I went back by the installer’s shop, and he confirmed that everything was installed and seated properly.

I wish I would’ve measured the gaps prior to install...the front was a smaller gap, but I don’t know by how much. Right now, the rear is only 1 1/2” higher, but it looks like more.

We had another trip to Germany this past weekend. Four adults and full luggage, and I was happy with the setup. Handles perfectly and there’s no change in comfort. The ST was already stiffer than my 2016 due to the street package.
Plus, as the installer pointed out to me, if I ever want to tow anything, I’ll need that extra cushion in the rear.

Reactions
Looks great but i do agree that it looks a little weird in pictures . Almost looks like the springs were installed backwards....fronts in back and backs in front . I know it won't work that way but it looks like it . If the back looked like the front , those would be the best springs ever .

STFan

Administrator
Reactions
That turned out great. Did you get the springs from TireRack?

Reactions
Just noticed that H&R doesn't even show anything for the new Explorer on their site so how did you find out the part #s are the same ?

OP
Barnesy
Reactions
Thread Starter #11
I checked OEM parts numbers for springs from Ford. The new explorers use the exact same springs as last gen did, so the H&R Springs fit both.

OP
Barnesy
Reactions
Thread Starter #13
Here are the OEM parts info if you need them!

Attachments

OP
Barnesy
Reactions
Thread Starter #14
Just out of curiosity, could someone with an ST measure the wheel well gaps and post them for me?

Reactions
Love that look! Did you get an alignment afterwards?

OP
Barnesy
Reactions
Thread Starter #16
Absolutely. The shop did it as part of the install.

Reactions
Do you have any pics from flat ground to get a true idea of how it looks ?

OP
Barnesy
Reactions
Thread Starter #18
Do you have any pics from flat ground to get a true idea of how it looks ?
No, but as soon as we have some decent weather, I’ll get some and post them.

Reactions
No, but as soon as we have some decent weather, I’ll get some and post them.
sounds good !

I only ask because i think the location has to do with the odd way the pics turned out . I am in the process of trying to find out if there are coilovers out there that would be a fairly easy conversion .

Reactions
I currently have a 2013 Sport and i remember , back in the day , that i actually lowered it on a set of Flex springs because the Explorer springs were not out yet . It fit perfect and sit's perfect . Since you are showing the OEM spring is the same part # , I am wondering the an OEM Flex coilover would be fairly compatible with an ST ? It doesn't look like anyone is interested in making coilovers for it , which is a shame , so maybe i can modify it a bit to get them to fit .