Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

Low speed roar throughout the cabin.

Sfox

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 ST
Bought a 2020 ST a week ago. What exactly is the low bass-sounding roaring sound that is mostly heard with low speeds and is accentuated when going over small bumps? Is this the fake engine sound pumped in? It’s not the normal engine sound. It gets louder when going slowly. No radio is turned on. But it’s almost like the bass of a radio mixed with another sound. I don’t like it.

Cajun Heat

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Explorer ST
Bought a 2020 ST a week ago. What exactly is the low bass-sounding roaring sound that is mostly heard with low speeds and is accentuated when going over small bumps? Is this the fake engine sound pumped in? It’s not the normal engine sound. It gets louder when going slowly. No radio is turned on. But it’s almost like the bass of a radio mixed with another sound. I don’t like it.
What drive mode do you notice it in? FENG is more pronounced in SPORT mode and not in other drive selections..

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Ford F-150 Raptor
If your in Sport then that's the fake engine sound. If not then there's a leak somewhere.

OP
S

Sfox

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 ST
Thread Starter #4
What drive mode do you notice it in? FENG is more pronounced in SPORT mode and not in other drive selections..
I can hear it in all drive modes

Cdubya

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
I can hear it in all drive modes
Since you have a 2020ST, could be the cracked downpipes welds or a failed flex section. Both are known issues. Maybe have your dealer check it out.

OP
S

Sfox

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 ST
Thread Starter #6
Btw I also test drove a platinum explorer and heard the same low growing/roar at low speeds. It’s not just in the ST. Whatever it is.

Reactions
is it like having only one window cracked alittle? I hear that with mine as well. Almost like there is a seal or something open/missing...

Reactions
Vehicle
2021 Explorer Platinum
I wish I knew and I've never found out what it is and nether has the dealership.
I find ambient air temp affects the noise in my 2021 Platinum. 85 degrees it's significantly quieter. 55 degrees it's much louder. Could suspension bushings or shocks be the cause?

Reactions
Vehicle
(2) 2021 Explorer ST (White & Carbonized Grey)
I've seen complaints about this in various reviews and both mine and my wife's definitely do it too. Under 30mph it sounds like I'm listening to a bass test CD inside the car. To me it just sounds like the chassis resonating into the cabin, in which case there probably isn't a whole lot that can be done about it without going down a rabbit hole I don't really want to go down.

TMac

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Have y'all considered tire noise? Outside of better insulation in the panels, not much to be done.

Reactions
Vehicle
2021 Explorer ST
I've seen complaints about this in various reviews and both mine and my wife's definitely do it too. Under 30mph it sounds like I'm listening to a bass test CD inside the car. To me it just sounds like the chassis resonating into the cabin, in which case there probably isn't a whole lot that can be done about it without going down a rabbit hole I don't really want to go down.
Hey, just got a Explorer ST 2021, 15k Miles and noticing the same thing. Wanted to know if youre still experiencing this and if it turned into a larger problem or not. Its not such a big deal for me, as long as I know its more or less normal for this car and isn't gonna lead to some more serious failure. Definitely seems like a rabbit hole that I DEF don't wanna go down XD Thanks!

Reactions
Vehicle
BMW X5, Black 2020 ST
My guess is an issue with the downpipes.