Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

Low Oil Pressure On Acceleration

F=MA

Reactions
Apparently low oil pressure is an issue for the Explorer ST upon acceleration. I assume it gets worse as the power curve increases. I have been asking about this for a while now with no real answers. Looks like Kruppa went with an Accusump Oil Accumulator Kit that will preserve oil pressure during acceleration. Anyone else do this and if so which exact product did you use?

Last edited:
Reactions
Apparently low oil pressure is an issue for the Explorer ST upon acceleration. I assume it gets worse as the power curve increases. I have been asking about this for a while now with no real answers. Looks like Kruppa went with an Accusump Oil Accumulator Kit that will preserve oil pressure during acceleration. Anyone else do this and if so which exact product did you use?
I've posted about this many times it's because of the location of the pump in the oil pan. You need to keep your oil about 1/2 qt over full and keep checking it because these things use oil.

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

Reactions
Adam, weren't you thinking of making a larger oil pan? There is plenty of clearance to install one. I would 100% be in for one.

FORZDA3

U.S. Air Force Veteran
Reactions
Vehicle
2021 Explorer ST
I've posted about this many times it's because of the location of the pump in the oil pan. You need to keep your oil about 1/2 qt over full and keep checking it because these things use oil.

Yes, you have. I took your advice for my E50 Raptor and run it a bit over full to account for max acceleration. Thanks Adam!

OP
F=MA

F=MA

Reactions
Thread Starter #5
If I do an advanced search with the term "low oil pressure" and "ZFG Racing" this post is the only time it comes up. Not trying to be a dick but I think I would have read that unless it was buried in a post that has nothing to do with low oil pressure. Please show me the post and I will shut the hell up. God I am turning into Unbroken !! :ROFLMAO: Since I have not torn down one of these engines am I not going to be whipping up the oil into foam and sucking air into the oil pump causing cavitation by overfilling the crank case. At least that's the way things use to be.

UNBROKEN

4000 Post Club
Reactions
If I do an advanced search with the term "low oil pressure" and "ZFG Racing" this post is the only time it comes up. Not trying to be a dick but I think I would have read that unless it was buried in a post that has nothing to do with low oil pressure. Please show me the post and I will shut the hell up. God I am turning into Unbroken !! :ROFLMAO: Since I have not torn down one of these engines am I not going to be whipping up the oil into foam and sucking air into the oil pump causing cavitation by overfilling the crank case. At least that's the way things use to be.
Most of us discuss the high performance stuff on FB at High Performance Explorer ST…we have Adams post about that stickied at the top…or did for the longest time anyway. There’s been discussion of it here as well from time to time.
It’s a well known issue when launching that shows as a hard dip in pressure on launch then it recovers. 1/2 a quart over has proven to all but eliminate the issue with no negative effects otherwise.

OP
F=MA

F=MA

Reactions
Thread Starter #7
Great that is what I wanted to know. I just logged onto Facebook for the first time in 7 years yesterday to try and contact Kruppa who has all but fled the coupe. Thanks as it so happens I will be changing the oil today.

UNBROKEN

4000 Post Club
Reactions
Great that is what I wanted to know. I just logged onto Facebook for the first time in 7 years yesterday to try and contact Kruppa who has all but fled the coupe. Thanks as it so happens I will be changing the oil today.
Kevin posts there daily almost. He’s the current record holder at 650 whp now.

Reactions
Yeah, Adam posted this on FB a while ago. Hasn't been much discussion on it since. I really would be interested in a larger oil pan. And a baffled gas tank, but thats another story....

Reactions
Here is the post, its a sticky in the High Perf FB page that @UNBROKEN moderates. 20211030_165704.jpg

FORZDA3

U.S. Air Force Veteran
Reactions
Vehicle
2021 Explorer ST
There’s quite a bit of info on it in the Ford Raptor Forum as well. Phots of oem pan vonfig along with replacement version.

OP
F=MA

F=MA

Reactions
Thread Starter #12
Well I have gotten approximately 6000 miles on the last Mobile 1 full synthetic oil change and it was only down recently about 1/2 quart. Added a quart to gimp me buy until my new oil extractor shows up. Was going to change oil today but that OEMtools oil extractor wont pull a vacuum even though its set correctly so in the trash for that bastard.

Reactions
Adam, weren't you thinking of making a larger oil pan? There is plenty of clearance to install one. I would 100% be in for one.
Problem is the oil pan isn't really the oil pan and the pump is the pickup... I really need to design something here for it but right now keeping the oil at full or a 1/2 qt above seems to be doing okay.

Reactions
Here is the post, its a sticky in the High Perf FB page that @UNBROKEN moderates. View attachment 8326
I'm pretty sure this exact thread is posted in here? If not I guess I'll take care of that.

Reactions
I'm pretty sure this exact thread is posted in here? If not I guess I'll take care of that.

I searched a few of the “not commonly used words” and didn’t see anything. Looked for “Sweep” and “obviously” as you used those.

Reactions
I created a thread and asked the admin to pin it!