Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

Low Oil Level and Oil Pressure *READ ME*

Reactions
@admin please pin this post

Caution: I just want to bring something to everyone attention. Tuned or stock if you are going to be doing hard launches in your truck/car one of the things everyone should be paying attention to in the data logs and in general, is oil pressure. I've have been seeing this enough lately that it is becoming a little concerning.If you look at the oil pressure in this snip of a data log, you can see they is big drop in oil pressure on the launch. I'm seeing this on 3.5l f150s and 3.0l Explorer STs. As you race and push your vehicle harder and harder this is something you need to look for, a lot of times it will end up coming down to the oil being a little low on the dip stick, and once the oil is returned to the full level, it stops happening. However, for the guys that a leaving really hard, the issue seem to persist. One way to make it better, has been to over fill the oil by 1/2 quart. Obviously low oil pressure under full power is problem, eventually it will lead to a bearing failure. There seems to be a lot of 2019 F150s with main bearing failures (stock and tuned), and I'm not saying this is the root cause of that but I'm confident that it is a contributing factor to the failures.

I recommend using a data logging device such as HP tuners because in general, the oil pressure on the dash displays tends to lies a little. It is typicality a times weighted average if it's digital, and if it is analog the gauge sweep often isn't linear. So those may not show the dip, where as if you are looking an HP tuners data log you can sample the oil pressure sensor up to every 10ms which is way more resolution than you need to see the dip.

I'm going to reach out some vendors to see if we can get started on a baffled oil pan to help prevent this issue. In the mean time, if you are going racing or you plan on doing a lot of hard launches you should be data logging and looking for this.

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk