Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

Low frequency rumble

kgaler

U.S. Coast Guard Veteran
Reactions
Hi all, just got the 2020 ST on Friday and so far so good. I have been noticing a very low frequency audible rumble that I wish wasn't there. It seems to resonate in the cabin. It's not consistent and I can't tell where it's coming from. Maybe the tires or the exhaust. Anybody else notice that?
TIA

KB-racer

Reactions
Interesting... I'm getting ready to buy and did a few exploratory test drives. I experienced what I think you describe.... I'm coming from a BMW 535i... so assume this is just a result of a far less insulated cabin...

Symetry

U.S. Army Veteran
Reactions
I've had mine about 6 weeks and I've heard it only 2 or 3 times , when I'm on gravel , rough driveway , or very rough street in town. Only times I've heard it ,and not every time.

Sounds like the exhaust pipe is ever so slightly bumping against something.

Gonna have dealer take a look in couple weeks while in for oil change.

OP
kgaler

kgaler

U.S. Coast Guard Veteran
Reactions
Thread Starter #4
I'm starting to think it's a drone from the exhaust.

Reactions
If it sounds anything like a dog growling inside a tin can (best description I could give mine when the advisor asked), watch to see if it’s happening during deceleration when it is downshifting and the engine RPM spikes a little bit. That’s what mine was doing, and the TSB regarding the hose clamp on the flex pipe mostly solved the issue.

OP
kgaler

kgaler

U.S. Coast Guard Veteran
Reactions
Thread Starter #6
It's more like a distant rolling thunder. I noticed that the tires are overfilled from the dealer. 36lbs. I'll fix that with fingers crossed.