Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

Low end torque loss after Intercooler and Down Pipes

MrCrisp

Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Ford Explorer ST
I recently had a Whipple Mega Cooler and Fen Fab catted down pipes installed. I've noticed a great deal of loss in low end torque. I absolutly loved how snappy the car was before the mods. Now it seems like until 3k rpms, I'm not getting the same tq.

Also, it seems like I'm almost always in boost as I can hear the turbos with the windows down.

I have a Livernois Motorsports multi tune, haven't reached out to them about the issue but did provide them with a list of modifications for the tune request.

I've heard the lack of low end tq could be due to the size of the intercooler taking longer to fill than the tiny stock intercooler? I'm no stranger to modded cars, but this is my first turbo vehicle. My other thought would be lack of back pressure from better flowing catalytic converters?

Hope this is in the right location. Any help is much appreciated.

Thanks

Reactions
Possible leak with the intercooler tubing.. check all tubing and connections for anything visible

Reactions
Vehicle
2022 explorer ST
When I was going through the process of modding the wife’s ST, the tuner I was working with jdm engineering, told me of the pros and cons of the downpipes. They said in their experience adding the downpipes on these cars, does result in some low end tq loss however they gain more high end power. Basically they said if you want low end tq stay stock downpipes if you want more power higher in the rev band go after market downpipes.
all in all once tuned you don’t really notice it because you make so much more power over stock anyway. We’re putting down 440whp 470 tq.