Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

Lemon Candidate?

Spectrepilot

U.S. Air Force Veteran
Reactions
Great forum, both happy and sad to see other are having many of the same issues I am. Happy in that I am not alone, sad that others experience the same frustration.

I love parts of my ST but I am at the end of my rope dealing with constant and recurring problems. Sadly I dropped my ST off at the dealer AGAIN today.

A chronology and list follows.

1. Purchased new October 1, 2019.

2. October 21, 2019 - Tire Pressure Sensor Fault - Reset TPMS by a Gary Smith Ford Ft Walton Beach Florida.

3. October 21, 2019 - Turn Signal Fault (Left turn signal blinked VERY Slow Right Turn Signal blinked VERY fast) - Ran Self test on BCM retrieved DTC B1497 Followed PPT D, performed config for lamp outage by Gary Smith Ford Ft Walton Beach Florida.

4. October 14, 2020 - Recall 19C07C completed Gary Smith Ford Ft Walton Beach Florida.

5. October 14 2020 - Right Side Air Conditioner blows cold, left side blows hot. Tech notes erratic temperatures and resets SSM 49058, FDRD self-tested and performed evac recharge. Performed HVAC modeule reset and retested by Gary Smith Ford Ft Walton Beach Florida.

6. October 14, 2020 - Radio frozen and will not change any setting. Performed battery master reset APIM self tested using IDS self tested, per testing update recommended. Performed SYNCH update and ordered spare radio by Gary Smith Ford Ft Walton Beach Florida.

7. January 20, 2021 - Driver and front left passenger windows will go up with auto function then immediately got back down. FDRS tested WSM 501-11 tst E calibration concern. performed window initialization procedure and retested by Gary Smith Ford Ft Walton Beach Florida.

8. January 20, 2021 - GPS and Navigation system failure. GPS shows vehicle 5 miles south in the Gulf of Mexico going in circles. Series of tests run resolved to poor connection from roof antenna or corrosion. after "wiggle" test inspection concern resolved by Gary Smith Ford Ft Walton Beach Florida.

9. February 12, 2021 - Front passenger window again not working. When using auto fucntion window goes up then immediately all the way back down. Reset model again, ordered new window motor Gary Smith Ford Ft Walton Beach Florida.

10. February 12, 2021 - Drivers Side Seat trim will not stay secure. Trim panel found to be defective and replaced by Gary Smith Ford Ft Walton Beach Florida.

11. July 2, 2021 - GPS and Navigation system failure - system again showing five miles south driving in circles in the Gulf of Mexico. Waiting for word from Gary Smith Ford Ft Walton Beach Florida.

12. Jul 2, 2021 - Driver and front passenger windows not working, windows go all the way up when using auto function then immediately go all the way back down. Waiting for word from Gary Smith Ford Ft Walton Beach Florida.

13. Jul 2, 2021 - Rear Cameras not working. Blue screen and backing system warning. Waiting for word from Gary Smith Ford Ft Walton Beach Florida.

14. Jul 2, 2021 - Rear brake assist system not working. Waiting for word from Gary Smith Ford Ft Walton Beach Florida.

I can't imagine they are going to buy the vehicle back for the windows but this is the third time. It seems to me there is a bigger underlying issue with the electrical system in my ST. Thoughts?

OP
S

Spectrepilot

U.S. Air Force Veteran
Reactions
Thread Starter #2
Update...Still in the shop but they called today to tell me parts have arrived. They explained a there service bulletin related to a module under seats that is causing shorting problems which is disrupting the network. I have not looked at the schematics but interesting it would impact the Navigation, windows and backing camera. We shall see.

OK ST

U.S. Navy Veteran
Reactions
Hope this fixes the electrical issues [thumb]

Reactions
Man. Good luck with all this. I’ve had mine since January 2020 and I haven’t had one single problem. Buybacks are not easy to accomplish. My first ST that I got 6 months before the one I have now had a heater problem. It would not heat. They narrowed it down to the heater core and I wanted nothing to do with them tearing out the complete interior including the entire dash to get to it. After they did all that, it turned out that the heater hoses were reversed and it wasn’t the core after all. I got a new ST right after that. Ford took care of it too.

Reactions
Holy hell, I'm sorry you have had/are having so many issues... Bought mine in Sept. 2020, haven't driven it much (only about 3k miles) and my first issue has popped up, which is a very rough idle when the A/C is on.

Reactions
I’ve got tons of issues. “Waiting for parts.”
I really hope you can get this stuff sorted.
This car looks like a winner but it’s a dud. I can truthfully say that counting all the cars I’ve ever owned in my lifetime, this is the worst. I have, however, found a trick that helps, turn off as many of the electronics as you can. That lowers the stress and anxiety. Of course, that’s all stuff that I paid for but it doesn’t help having it brake for no reason or fail to start the cameras until you’ve already left the area.

By the way, check your oil! I looked at mine (2200 km) and it’s on the bottom of the stick. I looked but I can’t see where to put it in. Also, it takes 2 hands to get the dipstick back in.

Reactions
I’ve got tons of issues. “Waiting for parts.”
I really hope you can get this stuff sorted.
This car looks like a winner but it’s a dud. I can truthfully say that counting all the cars I’ve ever owned in my lifetime, this is the worst. I have, however, found a trick that helps, turn off as many of the electronics as you can. That lowers the stress and anxiety. Of course, that’s all stuff that I paid for but it doesn’t help having it brake for no reason or fail to start the cameras until you’ve already left the area.

By the way, check your oil! I looked at mine (2200 km) and it’s on the bottom of the stick. I looked but I can’t see where to put it in. Also, it takes 2 hands to get the dipstick back in.
Dude, you really should end your relationship with this car. The last straw for me would have been the fact that it takes two hands to put the dipstick back in….

Reactions
Dude, this thread is about “lemon candidate.” I get it that English is not your first language.

Believe me, I’m looking.

GearHead_1

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
Exploder
Dude, you really should end your relationship with this car. The last straw for me would have been the fact that it takes two hands to put the dipstick back in….
The last straw for me would have been not being able to find where to put oil in. That's a deal breaker.

hbalek

Reactions
That's what she said! *wink*

Reactions
Dude, this thread is about “lemon candidate.” I get it that English is not your first language.

Believe me, I’m looking.
Look for the 710 cap. it's right by the two handed dipstick

OP
S

Spectrepilot

U.S. Air Force Veteran
Reactions
Thread Starter #12
Update

It was in the shop for a week and they "reprogrammed some of the modules."

The mechanic who did the work brought it out front for me and we chatted for about 20 minutes. He said and I quote "I don't know if that will fix it." He mentioned all the modules in the STs and the issues they are having with them.

Flash forward two weeks later...my navigation is again rotating while I drive in a straight line and my Air Conditioning is AGAIN not working.

I think I have enough history now...calling Ford to open a case on Monday.

Autoworker

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Sounds like you have a good case. All of the enjoyment of owning a new vehicle has been taken away with the problems. Wish you the best.

OP
S

Spectrepilot

U.S. Air Force Veteran
Reactions
Thread Starter #14
Sounds like you have a good case. All of the enjoyment of owning a new vehicle has been taken away with the problems. Wish you the best.
Thank you. Have been a Ford guy for 30 years and love the way the ST drives. IF they buy it back I will get a newer ST (if the 2022's every go on sale with the chip shortage), or a Lincoln Aviator.

I will update the thread.

Reactions
30 days out of service, read your states laws, Lemon Law it walk away

OP
S

Spectrepilot

U.S. Air Force Veteran
Reactions
Thread Starter #16
***UPDATE***

I am getting the run around...

I filed a case with Ford on July 26th and they were initially very good. I was assigned a case manager who established a timeline and promised me a decision within five days which was August 2nd. I told her I was again having issues with the Navigation, Air Conditioning and Backing System. I scheduled an appointment with Gary Smith Ford and the earliest they could get me in was August 4th. The representative called me on July 29th and said the case had been elevated and was with legal so I would now get a decision on August 3rd. She called me the morning of August 3rd and I thought she was giving me a decision..."I called to make sure you are on track to take the ST to the dealer on the 4th?" I replied that I actually dropped it off a day early because I was on a business trip. She then tried to end the call and said she would contact me Friday. I stopped her and said I was due a decision according to her timeline. She denied every saying a decision August 2nd (I have the email where she said the 2nd). She then said she was inclined to give them all the working hours of the 3rd so legal could decide...she promised to call me by the end of the day. Three days later and I have not heard anything from them. I have emailed and left a voicemail...it is now August 6th and nothing. She asked me to communicate through her rather than the dealership but they have had my ST since Tuesday and at least want an update on the status of the vehicle.

Monday will be the 10th business day so I will contact the State of Florida and go that route...VERY disappointed in Ford. I was going to get another ST or a Aviator but I am ready to walk away from a lifetime association from Ford.

Reactions
***UPDATE***

I filed a case with Ford on July 26th and they were initially very good. I was assigned a case manager who established a timeline and promised me a decision within five days which was August 2nd. I told her I was again having issues with the Navigation, Air Conditioning and Backing System. I scheduled an appointment with Gary Smith Ford and the earliest they could get me in was August 4th. The representative called me on July 29th and said the case had been elevated and was with legal so I would now get a decision on August 3rd. She called me the morning of August 3rd and I thought she was giving me a decision..."I called to make sure you are on track to take the ST to the dealer on the 4th?" I replied that I actually dropped it off a day early because I was on a business trip. She then tried to end the call and said she would contact me Friday. I stopped her and said I was due a decision according to her timeline. She denied every saying a decision August 2nd (I have the email where she said the 2nd). She then said she was inclined to give them all the working hours of the 3rd so legal could decide...she promised to call me by the end of the day. Three days later and I have not heard anything from them. I have emailed and left a voicemail...it is now August 6th and nothing. She asked me to communicate through her rather than the dealership but they have had my ST since Tuesday and at least want an update on the status of the vehicle.

Monday will be the 10th business day so I will contact the State of Florida and go that route...VERY disappointed in Ford. I was going to get another ST or a Aviator but I am ready to walk away from a lifetime association from Ford.
Wow!! Interesting because I'm at my local Ford performance dealership often (people/tech are really nice, open and honest) and we have some good conversations about the ST. Many associates have told me that this truck has many problems and they see them in the shop daily especially the police interceptors. Mostly transmission issues but the problems spread across the board. It's quite disheartening tbh especially paying a decent amount of money for a truck that might not even get through the 3yr warranty without completely dying out. This is my first Ford and prior to was always Japanese. I never really had many issues with Honda/Acura but as we know, mass produced cars will have some in the bunch that unfortunately suffer from lack of proper inspections. Hoping you get some good news and you can put this behind you. Maybe the 2022 will work most of these issues out. Keep us updated, tks.

OP
S

Spectrepilot

U.S. Air Force Veteran
Reactions
Thread Starter #18
***ANOTHER UPDATE***

I received a call this morning notifying me Ford is denying my buyback request. I am in somewhat of a catch 22. I live in the Florida Panhandle, 20 miles from the Alabama border. When I was looking for my ST they didn't have one in Pensacola so I purchased it in Mississippi approximately 180 miles away. I immediately registered in it Florida but because it was purchased in Mississippi they say I fall under the rules of Mississippi rather than Florida.

The Mississippi law is below and they say I am denied because I am filing the claim outside 18 months. Florida goes from when the issues occurred...Not sure what to do next. They say it is fixed again...if it breaks I can continue to return it until the warranty expries then I am screwed. I am done with Ford.

"An action must be commenced within the earlier of (1) one year following expiration of the express warranty, or (2) 18 months following the date of the vehicle’s original delivery to a consumer. If a consumer resorts to an informal dispute settlement procedure, an action must be commenced within 90 days following the procedure’s final action."

Autoworker

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Contact your lawyer. Ford had no problem taking your money when you purchased the vehicle. Ford has bought back a bunch of them, they shouldn't be giving you grief with all the trouble you've had.

Reactions
***UPDATE***

Hey I signed up to reply to your post specifically.
Fords system is down and pretty bad going right now. Unfortunately the run around you got in the beginning of the week was due to that. I am in thw buy back process now. I was within the 18 month for my 2020 limited. I ordered a st don't know if it will be a 21 or 22.