Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

Lemon Candidate?

2manycars4me

U.S. Navy Veteran
Reactions
Vehicle
2023 Durango SRT Hellcat
***ANOTHER UPDATE***

I received a call this morning notifying me Ford is denying my buyback request. I am in somewhat of a catch 22. I live in the Florida Panhandle, 20 miles from the Alabama border. When I was looking for my ST they didn't have one in Pensacola so I purchased it in Mississippi approximately 180 miles away. I immediately registered in it Florida but because it was purchased in Mississippi they say I fall under the rules of Mississippi rather than Florida.

The Mississippi law is below and they say I am denied because I am filing the claim outside 18 months. Florida goes from when the issues occurred...Not sure what to do next. They say it is fixed again...if it breaks I can continue to return it until the warranty expries then I am screwed. I am done with Ford.

"An action must be commenced within the earlier of (1) one year following expiration of the express warranty, or (2) 18 months following the date of the vehicle’s original delivery to a consumer. If a consumer resorts to an informal dispute settlement procedure, an action must be commenced within 90 days following the procedure’s final action."
There is another avenue you can take. The Magnuson Moss act. Get a lawyer and file suit under the act. I bought a 2009 CTS V which was a total POS, in the shop for over 12 weeks. I couldn't do an Indiana Lemon Law because I purchased the car in Kentucky. I couldn't do a Kentucky lemon law because I was an Indiana resident. I ended up suing GM thru the Magnuson Moss act, we settled before going to court and I dumped the car on a BMW.

DaveG ST

U.S. Army Veteran
Reactions
I would go to a different dealer if you have any further issues. You can go to any Ford dealership while under warranty. You would be surprised by the difference in the Service Depts knowledge about certain issues.

OP
S

Spectrepilot

U.S. Air Force Veteran
Reactions
Thread Starter #23
I would go to a different dealer if you have any further issues. You can go to any Ford dealership while under warranty. You would be surprised by the difference in the Service Depts knowledge about certain issues.
Normally I would try that but the only other dealer within 50 miles is notoriously bad.

Reactions
That's awful. I hope you can find some resolution.
I was within my 18 months range. And the dealer I'm dealing with had to move my problems up the chain to get resolved

OP
S

Spectrepilot

U.S. Air Force Veteran
Reactions
Thread Starter #25
***AND ANOTHER UPDATED***

Sorry if it feels like I am spamming the forum, this is turning into a soap opera.

The Ford rep who is handling my case called this morning to see if I picked up the vehicle, I explained I was getting it this afternoon and she said she would follow up in the morning.

This afternoon I picked up the Explorer from Gary Smith Ford in Ft Walton Beach Fl. The following maintenance was performed.

1. Air Conditioner - FDRS Self tested and WSM 418-00 Pin Point tested. Per SSM found issue at connection as outlined to the compressor. *** PLEASE NOTE THIS LINE!***

2. Navigation System errors (slowly rotating and displaying incorrect position). FDRS Self Tested, APIM - U0162. Pin point tested and elecgt diag to incl access. Performed battery master reset and APIM self tested to include hardware test- PASSED. Checked for updates and checked all connections to the FDIM. Updated Synch system and time to access and check cable connections to FDIM, OK at thie time.

3. Backing system errors - Vis inspection, there are no warnings displayed or any related codes when checked using FDRS. Unable to duplicate.

The Service rep brought my ST around and had it running with MAX AC selected. I got in and drove away thinking it was hot outside and needed to cool down for a few minutes. Drove about ten minutes and still blowing warm air so I went right back to the dealer. The Service rep didn't seem to beleive me so I asked him to check for himself. Sure enough, blowing warm air. He brought the technician out who confirmed it was not working. I waited in the garage area with the technician as he hooked up the FDRS and found no error codes. He then brought his AC system service device out and hooked it up. He drained all the coolant, refilled the system and ran a vacuum check. It failed, apparently the AC system now has a coolant leak.

I reached out to an attorney in Mississippi today, he did not return my call. I plan to reach out to other attorneys and the BBB tomorrow.

Truly at my wits end. I have seen other references on the internet about contacting district or regional managers but can't find a good email on google...anyone else have contact info. I plan to mail a letter to Ford as well.

Autoworker

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Call your Ford rep, tell her the latest, and demand a buyback.

OP
S

Spectrepilot

U.S. Air Force Veteran
Reactions
Thread Starter #27
Call your Ford rep, tell her the latest, and demand a buyback.
I did...they will not even consider it. Spoke with a lawyer this morning who told me there is federal law in place for situations like this. They have my info and are reviewing my case.

OP
S

Spectrepilot

U.S. Air Force Veteran
Reactions
Thread Starter #28
***UPDATE***

Minor update - After six weeks Ford still has not responded to the demand letter from my attorney, I am told they have 60 days.

My Explorer is broken AGAIN. The front drivers and passenger side windows will not go up correctly. If you hold the button in the up position for more than a second the windows all the way up then immediately come all the way back down. The weather has been nice and without thinking I put the windows down. It was an exercise in frustration trying to get the windows back up. I called Ford on September 10th and the earliest service slot they could give me was September 28th.

The saga continues.

ST+

Reactions
***UPDATE***

Minor update - After six weeks Ford still has not responded to the demand letter from my attorney, I am told they have 60 days.

My Explorer is broken AGAIN. The front drivers and passenger side windows will not go up correctly. If you hold the button in the up position for more than a second the windows all the way up then immediately come all the way back down. The weather has been nice and without thinking I put the windows down. It was an exercise in frustration trying to get the windows back up. I called Ford on September 10th and the earliest service slot they could give me was September 28th.

The saga continues.
Spectrepilot -- Sorry for all your issues. I too would be frustrated as well as p'd off.
I have the last issue you mentioned about the driver's window not wanting to stay up. Only thing that works for me is stopping the damn window just b4 it seats in the track. No much good if you have to park outside. If you would post any news on that issue I'd appreciate it and I'll do same.
Good luck with Ford.
Colin.

OP
S

Spectrepilot

U.S. Air Force Veteran
Reactions
Thread Starter #30
***Another Update***

The dealership has had my vehicle since September 28th. They replaced the main computer in the ST which they say will correct the navigation issues. After a lot of troubleshooting and ordered parts they finally talked to the main Ford engineers who advised there is a known issue with the window motors. There was a software update and that update requires different window motors. They knew that three weeks ago but Ford has sent the wrong motors TWICE since then. The correct parts supposedly arrived Friday but the technician working my ST was off. I heard nothing yesterday so when I touched base this morning they said they hope to have it ready this afternoon.

On the lawsuit front, Ford responded and refused to buy back the vehicle. They offered me $9500 to waive my claim (and future claims), and go away. I advised my attorney to tell Ford that was not enough and I either wanted more $ or a discount on another Ford. Ford did not respond to that reply so I am proceeding with the lawsuit. The attorney is confident especially given that the deanship has had the vehicle for another 5 weeks. Having owned the vehicle for 24 months it has spent 3 full months in the shop.

Repeatedly along the way I asked for a loaner and was denied. As of a week ago Ford told me I could rent a car on my own and they would reimburse me.

The lawsuit process could take up to two years, but at this point it is principle. The sad thing is if they would have offered the $ and a discount I might have purchased another Ford, but now I am done with the brand. What a horrible company.

Reactions
***Another Update***

The dealership has had my vehicle since September 28th. They replaced the main computer in the ST which they say will correct the navigation issues. After a lot of troubleshooting and ordered parts they finally talked to the main Ford engineers who advised there is a known issue with the window motors. There was a software update and that update requires different window motors. They knew that three weeks ago but Ford has sent the wrong motors TWICE since then. The correct parts supposedly arrived Friday but the technician working my ST was off. I heard nothing yesterday so when I touched base this morning they said they hope to have it ready this afternoon.

On the lawsuit front, Ford responded and refused to buy back the vehicle. They offered me $9500 to waive my claim (and future claims), and go away. I advised my attorney to tell Ford that was not enough and I either wanted more $ or a discount on another Ford. Ford did not respond to that reply so I am proceeding with the lawsuit. The attorney is confident especially given that the deanship has had the vehicle for another 5 weeks. Having owned the vehicle for 24 months it has spent 3 full months in the shop.

Repeatedly along the way I asked for a loaner and was denied. As of a week ago Ford told me I could rent a car on my own and they would reimburse me.

The lawsuit process could take up to two years, but at this point it is principle. The sad thing is if they would have offered the $ and a discount I might have purchased another Ford, but now I am done with the brand. What a horrible company.
What

Reactions
Great forum, both happy and sad to see other are having many of the same issues I am. Happy in that I am not alone, sad that others experience the same frustration.

I love parts of my ST but I am at the end of my rope dealing with constant and recurring problems. Sadly I dropped my ST off at the dealer AGAIN today.

A chronology and list follows.

1. Purchased new October 1, 2019.

2. October 21, 2019 - Tire Pressure Sensor Fault - Reset TPMS by a Gary Smith Ford Ft Walton Beach Florida.

3. October 21, 2019 - Turn Signal Fault (Left turn signal blinked VERY Slow Right Turn Signal blinked VERY fast) - Ran Self test on BCM retrieved DTC B1497 Followed PPT D, performed config for lamp outage by Gary Smith Ford Ft Walton Beach Florida.

4. October 14, 2020 - Recall 19C07C completed Gary Smith Ford Ft Walton Beach Florida.

5. October 14 2020 - Right Side Air Conditioner blows cold, left side blows hot. Tech notes erratic temperatures and resets SSM 49058, FDRD self-tested and performed evac recharge. Performed HVAC modeule reset and retested by Gary Smith Ford Ft Walton Beach Florida.

6. October 14, 2020 - Radio frozen and will not change any setting. Performed battery master reset APIM self tested using IDS self tested, per testing update recommended. Performed SYNCH update and ordered spare radio by Gary Smith Ford Ft Walton Beach Florida.

7. January 20, 2021 - Driver and front left passenger windows will go up with auto function then immediately got back down. FDRS tested WSM 501-11 tst E calibration concern. performed window initialization procedure and retested by Gary Smith Ford Ft Walton Beach Florida.

8. January 20, 2021 - GPS and Navigation system failure. GPS shows vehicle 5 miles south in the Gulf of Mexico going in circles. Series of tests run resolved to poor connection from roof antenna or corrosion. after "wiggle" test inspection concern resolved by Gary Smith Ford Ft Walton Beach Florida.

9. February 12, 2021 - Front passenger window again not working. When using auto fucntion window goes up then immediately all the way back down. Reset model again, ordered new window motor Gary Smith Ford Ft Walton Beach Florida.

10. February 12, 2021 - Drivers Side Seat trim will not stay secure. Trim panel found to be defective and replaced by Gary Smith Ford Ft Walton Beach Florida.

11. July 2, 2021 - GPS and Navigation system failure - system again showing five miles south driving in circles in the Gulf of Mexico. Waiting for word from Gary Smith Ford Ft Walton Beach Florida.

12. Jul 2, 2021 - Driver and front passenger windows not working, windows go all the way up when using auto function then immediately go all the way back down. Waiting for word from Gary Smith Ford Ft Walton Beach Florida.

13. Jul 2, 2021 - Rear Cameras not working. Blue screen and backing system warning. Waiting for word from Gary Smith Ford Ft Walton Beach Florida.

14. Jul 2, 2021 - Rear brake assist system not working. Waiting for word from Gary Smith Ford Ft Walton Beach Florida.

I can't imagine they are going to buy the vehicle back for the windows but this is the third time. It seems to me there is a bigger underlying issue with the electrical system in my ST. Thoughts?
I got a call today from Ford. Buy back is approved. First and last Ford!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
S

Spectrepilot

U.S. Air Force Veteran
Reactions
Thread Starter #35
***UPDATE***

I picked the vehicle up from the dealership On Nov 5th, making it another 39 days Ford had the vehicle out of service. I drove the vehicle three times yesterday with no noted issues. This morning I went to grab some breakfast and I am AGAIN having issues with the navigation system. This is the 6th or 7th time. Video attached.

What State are you in??
Yes, I live in Florida but purchased the vehicle in Mississippi so Ford refused my buy back claim because they say the Mississippi statue applies which gave me 18 months to file versus Florida which has 24 months. Fortunately there is a federal statue (Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act), that also applies.

Attachments

Explorer ST Posts