Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

Lane keep assist

db6

Reactions
Just came back from a day, 1,200 mile drive. Trunk really eats up the miles and the left lane was kept clear as other cars moved to the right, as they think I’m a cop. Total of 5,000 miles, no issues at all with the truck, since picking it up at the dealer. When I picked it up, it was missing the lock plunger on the drivers door, and the hood release lever came off in my hand. Also there was a bolt in the cup holder, no idea where it was from. Dealer fixed the issues.

Question, why does the steering wheel in the cluster turn red? I’ve looked, can’t find the answer using search function.

thanks.

Reactions
I can't even see a steering wheel in the cluster, can you post a picture of what you are describing?

Reactions
When you select the steering wheel button on the left side steering wheel controls it turns on the auto lane centering. The steering wheel symbol in the display is green when active, shaded when not able to be active and red when some condition will result in the feature going to be inactive, such as not keeping your hands on the wheel. Supposed safety feature to make sure you are paying attention. Cheers.

OP
db6

db6

Reactions
Thread Starter #4
Thanks. Never noticed it before and couldn’t find anything in the manual. Between lane centering, active cruise control, etc., gets complicated.

Reactions
When you select the steering wheel button on the left side steering wheel controls it turns on the auto lane centering. The steering wheel symbol in the display is green when active, shaded when not able to be active and red when some condition will result in the feature going to be inactive, such as not keeping your hands on the wheel. Supposed safety feature to make sure you are paying attention. Cheers.
Thanks so this option is only available while cruise control is used correct?

Reactions
I believe both lane keeping and lane centering are only available with cruise control active. Enjoy driving your ST. I have parked mine for the winter. :(

Reactions
I believe both lane keeping and lane centering are only available with cruise control active. Enjoy driving your ST. I have parked mine for the winter. :(
Lane Keep Assist is available without cruise being on (press button on on left tree) and cruise needs to be on for Lane Centering.

Dgoebel57

U.S. Air Force Veteran
Reactions
And I have tested both LKA and LC on cruise through a local road with a very distinctive S curve, hands off the wheel and the Explorer tracked right through (no other vehicles present, hands off the wheel for just the S curve portion). But That RED Wheel shows up eventually.

ddanwatt

Reactions
Lane assist works without cruise being engaged and can be turned on and off with button on the end of the turn signal lever. Lane centering only works with cruise control.

Reactions
Thanks for all the info. Thought mine wasnt working. Works just fine when you press the right buttons.

Reactions
Is this just advertised as lane assist but does more? Its not a Tesla by any means but it will fully steer the vehicle. Highway or back country roads. Absolutely in love with all the features!

Reactions
ok I hate to beat a dead horse but what about the sensativity alarm Only got the steering wheel to vibrate once. Anyone play with that setting yet?

Reactions
ok I hate to beat a dead horse but what about the sensativity alarm Only got the steering wheel to vibrate once. Anyone play with that setting yet?
There are 3 setting (I think), Alert, Aid And Alert + Aid. It only vibrates to alert you when you set in to just Alert you but does Not aid in you getting back in the lane.

I keep in only on Alert because I don't want it moving me suddenly back within the lines especially in icy conditions which is dangerous because I don't want it to steer suddenly.

Dallas ST

Reactions
Dumb question probably, but what's difference in Lane Keep Assist and lane centering feature?

Reactions
Dumb question probably, but what's difference in Lane Keep Assist and lane centering feature?
LKA warns you when you’re too close to the edge of the lane and Lane Centering intervenes and actively steers and keeps you centered in the lane. It’s only works when Active Cruise Control is set. It will steer you through corners too but it detects if your hands aren’t on the wheel and gets pissed off if you don’t put them back on it. If you don’t, it’ll start slowing you down.