Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

Just picked up a Carlinkkit TBox running Android 12

domanows

Reactions
Vehicle
2023 Ford Explorer ST
For those who may be interested, I just picked up a Carlinkkit TBox. For $199, I am really impressed at the features.
You just plug it in to the USB port and it loads up as an Apple Car Play device. In fact however, it is a fully functioning Android 12 device which among other things can provide wireless Android Auto and Apple Car play to the Explorer.

I found it somewhat dumb that Ford didn't include a wireless option for the Sync 3x systems in 2023 when I can buy an aftermarket Kenwood head unit for $300 that has the feature.

It also allows audio playback by artist,genre etc and movie playback from either a hotspot (which I don't use) or an SD card (which I loaded with audio and movies) Additionally, you can load any other android apps. I loaded RetroArch connected it with 2 bluetooth controllers and now my kid can play Contra or Dr. Mario off the screen.

I just thought I would drop a comment in if anyone was contemplating picking one of these things up. For someone who always replaces their head units, I was disappointed with the Sync 3.x functionality, and even more disappointed that I can't tear it out and put something aftermarket in.

The Carlinkkit seems like a decent compromise. I have the big screen in my Explorer and unfortunately, the CarLinkkit only uses the top portion.

st8

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Yeah I’ve been wanting to pick one of these up but not for what they’re charging. Once they’re around $100 or so, I’ll bite. Glad to hear you’re enjoying it though. If it could make things full screen I’d buy at whatever cost lol

OP
D

domanows

Reactions
Vehicle
2023 Ford Explorer ST
Thread Starter #3
It was $199, It boots up pretty quick, I like the wireless android auto as well. I don't like that when I exit it doesn't continue to play media in the background

Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Explorer ST
Nice to know there is a solution like this out there. Still disappointed it only uses top 3rd of screen tho

st8

1000 Post Club
Reactions
It was $199, It boots up pretty quick, I like the wireless android auto as well. I don't like that when I exit it doesn't continue to play media in the background
Does it display the correct music info in the center screen? I know that is an issue with several adapters.

OP
D

domanows

Reactions
Vehicle
2023 Ford Explorer ST
Thread Starter #6
No. There it doesn't have the CANBus connection to do that.
It also does some funky volume things when you are playing music through it, have wireless android auto enabled and ask google to send a text. The music doesn't stop, it changes tone (best I can describe it) and the volume lowers slightly.

st8

1000 Post Club
Reactions
No. There it doesn't have the CANBus connection to do that.
It also does some funky volume things when you are playing music through it, have wireless android auto enabled and ask google to send a text. The music doesn't stop, it changes tone (best I can describe it) and the volume lowers slightly.
What do you canbus connector? My play old CarPlay wireless adapter displays music info properly on the center screen and on the screen with the gauges.

SFD295

Reactions
Yeah I’ve been wanting to pick one of these up but not for what they’re charging. Once they’re around $100 or so, I’ll bite. Glad to hear you’re enjoying it though. If it could make things full screen I’d buy at whatever cost lol
They're roughly $108 on AliExpress. Bummer it only uses top of screen. That's my biggest gripe with Android Auto on the ST.

st8

1000 Post Club
Reactions
They're roughly $108 on AliExpress. Bummer it only uses top of screen. That's my biggest gripe with Android Auto on the ST.
Oh wow nice. May have to look into that then. My adapter has very consistent so hate to go away from it but for 108, very tempting.