Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

JACK POINTS

Reactions
problem is...thats not the lift point...

So you should start with informing the dealer of such...

DaveG ST

U.S. Army Veteran
Reactions
^^^
Utter incompetence.

Good heavens, you'd expect a place that lifts these vehicles all day long would have some idea as to what's going on. Any Dealer that is lifting these vehicles should be required to have the pinch weld adapter in their shop.

I think many of us that own these vehicles have made a minor investment so that we can easily/safely lift our vehicle with a floor jack. Why wouldn't a dealer?

I do think that the damage pictured is something that can be easily straightened out and fortunately it's not in a place where you'll notice the paint.
Yes, actually I spent more on this vehicle than I thought I ever would. Wanted it to be a keeper. I wish the dealer would have told me what they were going to do as part of the warranty repair and I would have mentioned that I only wanted it to be put on drive on ramps. I do my own oil changes and can replace the brakes myself when the time comes. When it comes time for new tires I will be sure that no damage is done.

GTP

Reactions
Folding over of the side runner brackets has happened to several of us. It happens when the tech swivels out the lift arms, not wondering or checking if there are brackets protruding down. Without those it would be acceptable to lift on the long pinch welds with more position leeway.

This happened to me, the foldover was even worse, on both rear sides, and I posted pictures in another ST thread. I made the dealer pay their own body shop to fix this. Straightening the brackets and metal rail and replacing the two plastic panels ran about $1000.

From now on, I will use stick-on arrows (basically This Side Up stickers put on upside down) at the official lift points whenever I take my car in for service that requires raising the car.

Reactions
It is pretty amazing that the service shops at the dealers that sell these vehicles seems to be doing the most damage to them when lifting. Makes me nervous about my first trip in which is coming up soon. I'll definitely be having a conversation with them before I hand over the keys.

Reactions
Vehicle
2021 Explorer Platinum
Last edited:

ZRX61

U.S. Air Force Veteran
Reactions
Reactions
Vehicle
2021 Explorer Platinum

GearHead_1

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
Exploder
Those "pucks" were designed to have the full support of a jack pad under them. I've used them in that manner for years and they've held up very well.

Cruising68

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Just ordered a set for my 2 post lift. Got a lot of under car work to do including springs, sway bar, exhaust, downpipes, rear cross member. Thanks for all the info in this thread.

ZRX61

U.S. Air Force Veteran
Reactions
Bought a pair of 6in tall ramps today, that will save a lot of faffing about for oil changes. May buy another pair at a later date to get the entire ST raised up... after I check they will fit in front of the rear wheels.

ZRX61

U.S. Air Force Veteran
Reactions
So my question is: what are those pieces with the three holes, in that case?
They're mounts for the running boards on other models.

Reactions
Vehicle
2023 Explorer ST
https://www.amazon.com/Snailfly-Explorer-Running-Boards-Footboard/dp/B082XQB2YK

.....this company made uses that portion of the pinch weld to fasten running board support brackets

and this is how I lift my Explorer at the designated location along the pinch welds

View attachment 11860 View attachment 11861 View attachment 11862
Do you have to use a second jack to get the Explorer high enough to THEN use the UniJack? Or can you get the tires off the ground using ONLY the 2 ton UniJack? I'm reading you only get 5" of lift travel on the piston of the UniJack... not enough to get ST wheels off the ground.

Planning my first tire rotation on my ST, but not sure the UniJack is worth it if it still requires the use of a second floor jack.

Reactions
Vehicle
2021 Explorer Platinum
Do you have to use a second jack to get the Explorer high enough to THEN use the UniJack? Or can you get the tires off the ground using ONLY the 2 ton UniJack? I'm reading you only get 5" of lift travel on the piston of the UniJack... not enough to get ST wheels off the ground.

Planning my first tire rotation on my ST, but not sure the UniJack is worth it if it still requires the use of a second floor jack.
I use one 2 ton and the larger 3 ton together. The 2 ton for the rear wheel and the 3 ton for the front wheel. I start jacking the rear and raise it enough so I can get the 3 ton under the front jack point.

I'm taking off the snow tires this week and afterwards I'll post a few pictures of the process.

Here's the pictures from taking off the snows this week. Here's how I setup of the jacks. Yje 4 ton for the rear wheel and the 6 ton for the front wheel.
I was able to lift the front and back enough to get the wheels off.
Hope this helps.
IMG_4605.JPG IMG_4606.JPG IMG_4607.JPG IMG_4608.JPG IMG_4609.JPG

Last edited: