Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

Is the interior REALLY that bad??

CareerFiremanGuy

1000 Post Club
Firefighter/EMT
Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Ford Explorer ST
So I just got done test driving an ST and also a Platinum. Hate to say it but I can't deal with the interior ...
What happened to the interior not "going to be a deciding factor"? Lol

When people buy a vehicle with the "ST" badge, that means they're looking for performance. When Alex on Autos tested a '21 Ram 1500 Laramie Hemi he got to 60 mph in 6.8 seconds. One and a half seconds slower coupled with worse mpg is not the direction ST owners want to be going in. Hope you find what you're looking for.

OP
l1tech

l1tech

U.S. Army Veteran
Reactions
Vehicle
21 ST
Thread Starter #22
So let me start by saying I did buy an ST.

As I said earlier I initially drove a 2020 ST and also a Platinum. The ST suspension was obviously firmer as it should be but it felt loose...if that makes sense. The Platinum did ride better but the suspension still felt loose. I know I said the interior wasn't going to be a deciding factor for me but the smooth dashboards that were cardboard covered leather(or whatever material it is) and the top of the door panels I couldn't deal with. Fast forward to yesterday afternoon when I went to look at an Aviator and they just so happened to have a 2021 ST there as well. As soon as I opened the door on the ST I knew right away that Ford had changed something up. The interior looked the same but now the dash was textured and a little (not much) thicker than the 2020's I looked at. The center speaker grill actually sat flush in the dash and the door panels have a distinctively different feel to them. Even the seats felt better. This ST has the performance pack on it so I expected it to ride a little harsher due to the 21 inch wheels but to my surprise it actually rode much better than the the other 20's without the performance pack on them and the suspension felt tight. All the body lines line up well and the panel gaps inside and out are all even. Overall this ST just felt "right". I test drove the Aviator anyway, as to be expected it was a plusher ride, the seats were softer and I like the horizontal center screen more than the vertical one in the ST but there was something up with the ac on it and it had no ventilated seats which I found very strange for this vehicle until you step up to the Black Label package. My BMW and my Ram both have ventilated seats adn it is a must have for me here in Phoenix (I've come to find out the ventilated seats in the ST leave little to be desired but they are better than nothing). I bought the ST after some haggling, we actually walked out of the dealership and went home and they called us back 2 hours later. I have to say I think I am really going to enjoy this vehicle. I know when the 6th gen explorer hit the market there were a lot of complaints about the interior and body panel fit but Ford obviously tried to address the situation without redesigning everything. The interior materials are still not on the level that my Ram was but I'm happy. Now I have to turn off that dam FENG.

Reactions
Congrats on the new ride!

st8

1000 Post Club
Reactions
There hasn't been any "decontenting" on '22 models because FORD charged you for the additional standard items on the older '20 ST's.

The '22 ST started at $49,245 compared to the '20 ST's base price of $54,740 ... the older model showing an additional entry level cost of $5,496.
This! Have said this so many times.

CareerFiremanGuy

1000 Post Club
Firefighter/EMT
Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Ford Explorer ST
This! Have said this so many times.
I wasn't trying to be argumentative with anybody here, but when I researched the ST before I bought it, that is exactly what I found out.(y)

CareerFiremanGuy

1000 Post Club
Firefighter/EMT
Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Ford Explorer ST
So let me start by saying I did buy an ST ...
Huge congratulations! Please keep us informed as to what you think of it as time goes by.:)

st8

1000 Post Club
Reactions
I wasn't trying to be argumentative with anybody here, but when I researched the ST before I bought it, that is exactly what I found out.(y)
Completely understand. I have just had that conversation with multiple people and no one ever seems to get it.

Blue Beast

1000 Post Club
U.S. Army Veteran
Law Enforcement
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 ST
So let me start by saying I did buy an ST.

As I said earlier I initially drove a 2020 ST and also a Platinum. The ST suspension was obviously firmer as it should be but it felt loose...if that makes sense. The Platinum did ride better but the suspension still felt loose. I know I said the interior wasn't going to be a deciding factor for me but the smooth dashboards that were cardboard covered leather(or whatever material it is) and the top of the door panels I couldn't deal with. Fast forward to yesterday afternoon when I went to look at an Aviator and they just so happened to have a 2021 ST there as well. As soon as I opened the door on the ST I knew right away that Ford had changed something up. The interior looked the same but now the dash was textured and a little (not much) thicker than the 2020's I looked at. The center speaker grill actually sat flush in the dash and the door panels have a distinctively different feel to them. Even the seats felt better. This ST has the performance pack on it so I expected it to ride a little harsher due to the 21 inch wheels but to my surprise it actually rode much better than the the other 20's without the performance pack on them and the suspension felt tight. All the body lines line up well and the panel gaps inside and out are all even. Overall this ST just felt "right". I test drove the Aviator anyway, as to be expected it was a plusher ride, the seats were softer and I like the horizontal center screen more than the vertical one in the ST but there was something up with the ac on it and it had no ventilated seats which I found very strange for this vehicle until you step up to the Black Label package. My BMW and my Ram both have ventilated seats adn it is a must have for me here in Phoenix (I've come to find out the ventilated seats in the ST leave little to be desired but they are better than nothing). I bought the ST after some haggling, we actually walked out of the dealership and went home and they called us back 2 hours later. I have to say I think I am really going to enjoy this vehicle. I know when the 6th gen explorer hit the market there were a lot of complaints about the interior and body panel fit but Ford obviously tried to address the situation without redesigning everything. The interior materials are still not on the level that my Ram was but I'm happy. Now I have to turn off that dam FENG.
Welcome to the forum

hbalek

Reactions
There hasn't been any "decontenting" on '22 models because FORD charged you for the additional standard items on the older '20 ST's.

The '22 ST started at $49,245 compared to the '20 ST's base price of $54,740 ... the older model showing an additional entry level cost of $5,496.
My MSRP was 60K (which included every option available) and I paid 52K with discounts in 2019 so I think I got a pretty good deal! Also in the 2021 MY, Ford removed the windshield wiper de-icer, console lights inside the 2 bins and front camera washer according to posters on this forum. So most of the decontenting occurred in 2021 and by 2022 the chip shortage added more features to this list. I believe the roof rails and AWD also became optional after the first model year. FYI, I just built & priced a 2022 Explorer ST as identical to mine as possible (multi-contour seats currently unavailable) and the MSRP is 61,775 and my 2020 sticker total is 60,015. Botton line is I paid 52,000.

Last edited:

st8

1000 Post Club
Reactions
My MSRP was 60K (which included every option available) and I paid 52K with discounts in 2019 so I think I got a pretty good deal! Also in the 2021 MY, Ford removed the windshield wiper de-icer, console lights inside the 2 bins and front camera washer according to posters on this forum. So most of the decontenting occurred in 2021 and by 2022 the chip shortage added more features to this list. I believe the roof rails and AWD also became optional after the first model year. FYI, I just built & priced a 2022 Explorer ST as identical to mine as possible (multi-contour seats currently unavailable) and the MSRP is 61,775 and my 2020 sticker total is 60,015. Botton line is I paid 52,000.

Attachments

CareerFiremanGuy

1000 Post Club
Firefighter/EMT
Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Ford Explorer ST
My MSRP was 60K (which included every option available) and I paid 52K with discounts in 2019 so I think I got a pretty good deal! ...
You did get a great deal, I paid sticker for my ST but because of current market trends I also got an excellent deal on my trade!
As a result, my final price for the ST was thousands less than sticker.

That's why when discussing "decontenting" we're strictly talking sticker vs. sticker. That's the only thing that counts.

CareerFiremanGuy

1000 Post Club
Firefighter/EMT
Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Ford Explorer ST
Completely understand. I have just had that conversation with multiple people and no one ever seems to get it.
Got 'ya brother!

Reactions
Yeah Ford added a RWD enthusiast model because when the 2020s came out, people thought they were too expensive. Clearly, a lot has changed since 2019 or so when they first started rolling out, lol.

The 2020 basically came minimum with 401A.

Reactions

Somewhat right, in late 2020/early 2021. The 2020 Explorer's were actually being discounted to the 2021 Explorer's price. So you get all the materials and "extras" on a new 2020 for the price of a 21 missing said items. Both new and fully loaded.